Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Default advice needed!

We are planning a 10 day cruise out of San Francisco oon the Dawn but would like to stay a couple of days afterwards. Can some one who is familiar with the city tell me how far the pier is from the city centre? Is it within walking distance of shops and hotels and restaurants? Also..how far is the airport? Ideally I'd like to find a hotel that's within walking distance of things..yet it's not drastically far from the airport...is there such a hotel?

Thanks for your advice.

Camellia
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Hi -- Is this your first trip to San Francisco? Pier 35 is, not surprisingly, very close to pier 39 -- better known as Fisherman's Wharf and one of the main tourist spots in SF. There are a lot of hotels in that area and quite a bit to see, including the Wharf, ferries to Alcatraz, and even a cable car stop that can take you to other parts of the city. It's a major tourist area which can be perfect if that's what you're after.

If you want something a little more upscale, the area of the city known as Union Square is also full of hotels, reataurants and is the high-end shopping district. It also has a cable car stop, so depending on whether you want more sophisticated (Union Square) or more lively (the Wharf) as your base, you can get to the other areas pretty easily. If you don't mind hills, SF is a wonderful walking city -- in particular, take time to explore the back streets and alleys of Chinatown and sample the food in the little Italian restaurants in North Beach.

When are you sailing? Since I'm a local (I live in Oakland, just across the bay from SF) I'm taking my first cruise on the Dawn, too, probably in mid-February.

As for the weather, November through April is the rainy season, so pack accordingly. In a bad winter it will rain almost every day and can get quite chilly. There will also be moments, though, when the sun comes out and makes it clear why so many people love living here!
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

BTW, the Alcatraz tour was quite interesting but try to book it in advance, because we *barely* got on the the tour (they were sold out for the day after us)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Passenger

I am with a group that are booked on the Dawn rt SF in March..we opted for the Union Square for our hotels...

We are flying in two days earlyer will tour around and then part of the groups is staying a few days after but booked airport area hotel for those nights.

As for the yours we are tring to find a tour group that has a van that holds 12 for a half day tour ending at the wharf area so some can vist Alcatraz and others can either stay in area or continue to hotels. We also like US for the acess to the streetcars.

Anyone booked for the Mrach 10 Dawn sailing I have started a "rollcall"
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Beginner

San Fran is great but stay either at Fisherman's Warf or Downtown. We stayed further away than down town and the hotel offered a shuttle to downtown but only 1 time an hour. We did walk it one day but you pass through a rather unsavory area of town and we both felt quite uncomfortable. Once you are downtown the trolly system is good. Good shopping downtown but no discount mega stores.
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The airport is quite a distance from downtown San Francisco and all the attractions. I would recommend staying down near Pier 39 - so close to all the activities and the restaurants on Pier 39. Also easier to access the tours to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.