Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling Tahiti Questions

Need some feedback on Tahiti on Princess. Have done 10 with Carnival, but looking at Tahiti. I am an avid snorkeler. Help please. Katie
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yeoman

More people would look at your post if you had put somthing about your topic ( Tahit Princess, or snorkling) in your post subject. some poeple avoid reading every single post and only read ones in which the topic is something they can relate to.
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling in Tahiti

How does it compare to the Caribbean? Are the currents real strong? What about water temp? Do you need a wet suit? Also, how does Princess compare to Carnival? Thanks for any help. katie
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Passenger

I was in Tahiti many years ago and it is absolutely incredible. I have snorkeled all over the world (Bahamas, Caribbean, Hawaii, Great Barrier Reef, etc.) and no place compares. The water is very calm, warm and the coral and sea life is everywhere! You shouldn't need a wet suit. The beaches themselves are not huge white sand areas, but if snorkeling and sea life are what interests you then it is heaven on earth! The islands themselves are also gorgeous.

We are planning a cruise for August 15 next year on the Tahitian as part of a group of family, friends and members of another message board. Here's a link to our groups web site: http://www.bctonline.com/~lindac777/
There are copies of the daily paper "The Princess Patters" as well as menus, port info, etc. Their is also info for anyone that would like to join the "group."

I have been on both Carnival and Princess cruises and have enjoyed both of them. This ship is small (only 650ish passengers) so it is supposed to be a more layed back experience as are the islands themselves.

Julie
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling Tahiti

Katie - We cruised the Society Islands in May of 2000, on the Renaissance 3 (before it was purchased by Princess). We are returning to Tahiti tomorrow, spending 3 nights on Manihi, then taking a 10-day cruise on the Tahitian Princess. We have sailed three times with Princess, once with Carnival and overall, prefer Princess.

Regarding snorkeling in Tahiti, currents can be strong, depending on your location but it won't be difficult find sites that are very safe. No matter what time of the year you go, you won't have to pack your wet suit. My recollection is the water temperature when we were there was in the low 80's.
Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002
Sea Princess - 09/2001
Ocean Princess - 01/2001
Renaissance 3 - 05/2000
Sun Princess - 03/2000
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Beginner

We cruised Tahiti 2 years ago... would LOVE to return! It was incredible! We snorkeled out of Bora Bora - and it was the most exquisite thing I have ever seen. The water was warm and wonderful (we cruised in November) - and my husband and I were the last ones to return to the boat... we didn't want to quit! We have snorkeled in Hawaii, the Caribbean and Mexico - and none of them compare. Absolutely! When you go to Tahiti... SNORKEL!! Have a great time!