Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Beginner

Default Hawaii 1/6/06 Setting up own tours,HELP?

• [list:8a15a4a65b]Want to do two helicopter flights, what islands are best?
    and is going with one plane and one helicopter any better?
    also what about possible cancellation if we hit bad weather?

What islands are best for car rentals, and anybody have any suggestions for convience and price?

Looking for suggestions on snokeling, plan on bringing are own equipment and were looking for great spots to stop along the way while driving?

Also open to any suggestions on other side trips.

Thanks in advance for your input and look forward to meeting alot of you Joe
[/list:u:8a15a4a65b]
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Passenger

It seems you are asking for a lot of info in a short period of time. You should have done your homework weeks ago. There is a thing called Google. Every island is different, so helicopters flights are different. Just did a flight out of Kona over the volcanoe Nov. 29 and saw spectacular eruptions and lava flows. Understand two days later , nothing. If you book your own flights and for some reason you don't make the port, you are responsible for the cost.

Car rentals, which island do you want to drive around?

Maui has great drives and beaches for snorkeling. Time permitting you can drive up to the crater at 10,000+ feet, or go to Hana and swim in waterfall pools or snorkel. Helicopter flights are spectacular over the crater and valleys.

The big island, Kona or Hilo. You can drive to black sand beaches, waterfalls, Volcanoe National Park to see the craters, lava flows. Great snorkeling in Kona. Helicopter flights can be outstanding if the crater is active. You can fly by the highest waterfall in the islands.

Oahu has many great sights. Drive to the north shore and maybe see some big surf at the Pipe Line or Sunset Beach. Visit the beaches and sites where the TV series LOST are filmed. Great snorkeling at Hanamau Bay. A national treasure. The Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor, The Punch Bowl, very memorable experiences.

Kauai, the Garden Island. Helicopter flights over the Grand Canyon of the Pacific are overwhemling. Drive around the island, and you can find great snorkeling or swimming beaches. Poipu beach is world renowned for snorkeling and swimming.

You can rent snorkel gear at every port or city. I don't want to sound to critical, but I don't think you were very well prepared.

Hope you enjoy your cruise
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Passenger

I would suggest picking up the guidebooks Maui Revealed, Kauai Revealed, etc. They have great info on various places for snorkelling. I was able to pick up copies at the local library. ***edited to remove commercial reference***

We booked our helicopter trip on Hawaii with Safari Air. They told us that if the ship doesn't make it into port, they will not charge us. Many of the others it was totally non-refundable within 24 hours. We LOVED the helicopter trip and wished we had scheduled another trip for Kauai!

We rented cars on Mauai and on Kauai and had a great time both places. It was easy to find our way around, and we really enjoyed the freedom. Here's some info I found from a quick search. Unfortunately I have already deleted my saved Hawaii sites and am now planning our cruise to the South Pacific!
http://www.slowtrav.com/usa/hawaii/kauai.htm
http://www.maui-vacation.net/snorkelmap.html
http://www.visitmaui.com/beaches.html
http://adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm
http://www.bugbog.com/beaches/hawaii_beaches.html

I hope this helps and have a wonderful time. Please feel free to ask if you have anymore questions!

Julie