Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Default Theft Aboard the Golden Princess

My wife and I took our first cruise on the Golden Princess out of San Juan on 19 November 2005. We were asked to load our bags at the San Juan airport. We did. When the bags eventually arrived at our cabin (about 5-hours later), one had been broken into and a laptop, a cell phone, two cameras, and an assortment of other items had been stolen (about $5,000 in replacement value. We immediately notified our steward who sent us to the purser where a report was filed and we were told to call Princess on arrival in the US the next week.

We notified Princess on 29 November and were asked to write them a letter detailing the theft, which we did. We received an email back saying that they had received our letter, would add it to our file, that claims were investigated in the order they are received, and that it would be up to 6-weeks before we were contacted by a representatitive from the Property Claims and Loss division.

We objected to the response based on the fact that our losses were more than the cost of the cruise; we spent the first two our three days aboard the ship trying to cancel our cell service, we had an identity theft concern due to information on the laptop, and Princess didn't have to wait for us to pay them. They were paid in advance for everything, even meals before we ate them.

They emailed back and said they had opened up our case and gegan investigating. Several weeks went by and over a course of ten days sent two emials asking for an up date. After not receiving a reply, we wrote the President of the company asking for his help in receiving restituion. We have had no reply from the President.

American Express Travel did credit our account a small amount, and we have since asked AMEX and the Federal Maritime Commission to ask Princess to account for the investigation.

We have been extremely disapointed with Princesses' lack of concern for our plight, the generic and non committal tone of their emails, and the length of time it takes to bring a matter as this on to closure, i.e., restitution to the consumer.
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm so sorry to hear about your things being stolen in transit. By any chance, did you take out any travel insurance that you can file a claim with? I hope you do get some restitution on this matter.

Next time you cruise, be sure to keep those items with you in carry-on, I never check camera's, computers, etc....I keep them with us at all times.

Keep us posted as you find out any information.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've never heard of a situation like this, where luggage was broken into in transit to the ship. In airports yes, but not in transit.

In a case as severe as this I don't think an abnormal amount of time has passed for the cruise line to thoroughly investigate the incident, especially with the holidays closing down most operations this past week.

I would certainly stay in contact with Princess to be certain it's being dealt with!

In the mean time you may be able to claim the stolen property under your home owner insurance. Might be worth looking into.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is still something here I don't quite understand....You pick up your luggage at the SJU airport and then who did you turn your luggage over to? We've always had to bring our luggage to the pier ourselves and give it to one of the pier porters..Did you take a cab to the pier or use the cruiseline transfers?? Just trying to see where the theft may have occured and who would be responsible for it?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Did you check your luggage at the airport to see if it had been opened??
Maybe it happened before Princess got it.

I agree with the other poster ..you should never leave stuff of value in your checked luggage always keep with you .
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

how unfortunate for you. I would keep calling Princess, forget the e-mails, get on the phone.
I was wondering the same thing as Donna, how did you get from the airport to the pier, and who did you surrender your luggage to? We have never just given our luggage over. We have always had to take our luggage from baggage claim and haul it to either the cruise ships bus or to a taxi.
Hard lesson learned: NEVER pack anything of value in your checked baggage, keep it with you in your carry-on.
Did you have insurance? If so, then you should file a claim with them. Princess can investigate, but the money will have to come from your insurance. The cruise lines accept no responsibility for lost or stolen items in luggage, that is clearly stated in your cruise documents.
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Time and time again people are warned not to place valuables in checked luggage. Not only is there the chance that something may be stolen but there is also the risk of having something broken or damaged as baggage handlers in general are not noted for handling your bags with kids gloves.

Can you prove that the theft took place while the bags were in the care or control of Princess? Even if they were, they warn you to keep your valuables with you personally. I doubt you will be recieving a check from Princess and would suggest you check with your homeowners policy.

I think you have learned a valuable and costly lesson regarding keeping your personal items such as you mentioned with you all the time.

Good luck.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM
Passenger

I can sympathize with you on this. We were on the Dec. 17th sailing of the Grand Princess and sometime between when we placed our luggage outside our room and when we picked it up the next morning, a bag with all of our scuba gear was taken. We thought it was just misplaced but they never found it. The equipment (BCD's, Regulators, wetsuits, fins, masks, etc) was worth well over $2000 and we havent gotten a solid response from Princess yet. Fill out a form... we'll look into it, etc. It is still soon for us but its still not looking promising. Does anyone have any idea what the per bag compensation is with Princess? I hope its not like the airports where its only like a few hundred bucks at max. I'm really sorry you had to go through the same thing... Its really frustrating...
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
booboo4031

I have to ditto what Ron said above.... if you have anything of that great value... keep it with you. It says in all documentation .. not only of the cruise lines ... but of the airlines and all other modes of travel. If you have travel insurance you may have some recourse from them.... but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get much of a response from Princess.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Passenger

This is acutally a sad thing to hear and i bet something like that can make a lot of people nervous, a good reason why we should keep all things that are important on our carry ons

[url=http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/Sandals_Resorts/]Sandals
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Beginner

Default Laptop Theft

In all of my experiences traveling with a laptop computer I have always carried mine with me. I was staying in Las Vegas and tried to give the bell captin my laptop and he said they were not allowed to handle laptops and this has been my experience at most Hotels & Airports and also on carnival.

We are doing a mexican riveara cruise in November I think the laptop will stay home internet on board is to expensive for me...

Jeramie F
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Firstly, I agree with the others about valuables in a checked bag, much less the chance of it getting broken.

Second, how do you really it was Princess, did you open all your bags at the airport and check to make sure everything was in them? Could have happened anywhere from the time of check in onwards.
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Unfortunately, there is a lesson to be learnt, don't rely on your credit card to provide you with travel insurance. As a travel agent, we advise to always take out full travel cover. Then you are not having to run around looking for compensation! I hope everything works out for you.