Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default "Parents' cabin" v. "kids' cabin" HELP!

I called Princess directly to book a So. Caribbean cruise this Spring in order to join other family members and friends who are already booked. Apparently, this cruise was/is just about sold out. I really wanted a balcony cabin for the four of us (13 and 14 y.o. daughters and ourselves.) Those were sold out. I booked two side-by-side oceanview cabins. There was no price break for the 3rd and 4th passenger, so it made sense just to book two rooms. When it came time to register our names, the reservation person told me that because my daughters were younger than 16, an adult would need to be booked in each room. I had occasion to call Princess three times before the deal was done, and two out of three representatives also stated that due to their age, we'd need to register one adult in each room, but added "what you do once onboard is your own business." Our girls are old enough to sleep in a room next to ours by themselves and allow my husband and myself to share a room. (Heck, we're on vacation, too!!) My problem is, how do we accomplish this?? We obviously need a rearrangement of room keys. I don't want to simply exchange keys/sail n' sign cards with my 13 year-old. Has anyone done this that can give me the ins and outs? The fact that 2 out of 3 Princess reps. volunteered this info. without a question from me, gave me the idea that it is common practice and that we could do it - just don't make it obvious.
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's very common practice. Not even sure why the cruise lines maintain the facade, unless it's to protect themselves against "eventualities".

Once onboard just head to guest relations, and they'll change everyone's room keys to match the cabins, and ship's charge card.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

don't worry about it. It is done all the time. All you need to do is go to the Purser's Desk and get your sign and sail cards changed accordingly.
I belive this policy is in effect to prevent the "Spring Break Syndrome" of un-supervised minors from traveling alone and trashing the ships, as happened in the past.
Old January 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Not to worry. We also had the same thought, I was alittle nervous to bring this up to the room stewart, but he brought it up first asking if we would like to keep the kids in one room and us next door. We had connecting bal. that made it easier to keep an I on our two teenagers. No problems with the room keys. Everyone had a great time and the stewart got a great tip. Have fun..
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Admiral

We will be cruising with 4 young adults next year, but all are under 25, and Princess would not book boy/girl couples in the same room if they were under 25, even though all of them will be over 18 by then. So on paper, they are booked girl/girl, and boy/boy but when we get there I know that their cards can be changed at the Purser's desk, as we have had this situation before.
By the way, your teens and YOU will enjoy having your own space!

donna
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Beginner

I am so glad to have found your post. We are doing the same situation as you are but on a Mexican Riviera cruise with our two teenage sons (ages 14 & 12) over Thanksgiving 2006. My thought was to just switch cards once we got on board as I will have the talk that they are to be responsible, etc. So, I would love to hear how your situation works out. I really do not think the cruise lines care who is in what room and if you have kids in the teen years and they are responsible, I do not see the problem with them in a room of their own keeping in mind that they are within close proximity of your room.

Kim
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We've done this several times and it works fine. Just go to the Pursers desk and have the cards changed. You can't just switch cards with your kids as everyone's information and picture is imbedded in your card. We bring the old baby monitor with us and set it up in the kids room so we can keep track of what's going on in there.
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Beginner

I have experienced this on two cruises with my children! When you book, you book one parent in each room with one child. When you embark, you can ask to have the room keys changed or just exchange them with each other. The downfall to the latter is that only one of the adults will have an actual room key to the adult bedroom and vice versa for the kids. Most cruiselines will change around the keys when you embark which will be much easier for all of you. Enjoy your cruise!
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Beginner

I have taken several cruises with my 3 children in tow. While I have not yet traveled with Princess (July 06)we have been on 3 other cruiselines. Since we are 5 we always had 2 rooms. We always had to book the cabins with an adult in each but once on board we were able to set up however we liked. The staff was very accommodating, providing extra blankets and pillows when one child couldn't decide which room he wanted. My oldest just turned 18 (adult)and now the kids room isn't even on the same level as ours. For the first time we will all have a matching key card to our assigned rooms. That was the only hard part. Your key card is also your ship ID so its hard to trade.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can keep you sail and sign cards without switching them and just have the pursers desk give you an extra key to their room and they can have a key to your room. All you have to do is turn the switch on your door and they will not be able to come in your cabin with the key.
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Passenger

The simplest is to ask when checking in -- you can also request a key to their room to simplify checking up on them. SInce room keys are now ID keys -- It would save lots of time waiting in line at the pursur's when you get on board --