Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Default Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera..Opinions????????????

Looking at sailing this cruise in Sept 06. Any thoughts as to recommended excursions in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas?

Any do and dont' likes about this cruise?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Juan C.

Old January 17th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to masonla

We too are going to the Mexican Riviera in Sept 06'. This will be my second cruise (1st was a carnival 10+ years ago) and my husbands first. I've heard good and bad about the island of Mazatlan. Like my co-worker said that not to wander out of the resort in Mazatlan, stay on the path to the resort. I'm anxious to go and I'm hoping its all its hyped up to be for my husbands first visit. He's soo picky when it comes to food and especially vacations . Anyway, just keep looking on the net for different opinions of the ship/cruiseline. Any feedback from others would be most helpful too.

Have a great vacation!!!
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Juan C.

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
First Mate

We had a great time in Mazatlan, riding Randi's Happy Horses on the beach for several hours. The ship docs at an industrial dock, so you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the edge of the industrial area. The inlet to the dock is rather narrow, and the ship goes thru it at a pretty good clip, so be on deck to watch it thread the needle.

More details and photos are on my web site at www.MyCruiseAdventures.com.

Dana
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Passenger

All i can say is the Canopy tour in Puerta Vallarta is a must, Worth every penny definatly the high light of our cruise.

Rick
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Passenger

I will second the votes for Randy's Happy Horses in Mazatlan and the zip lines in PV. Great times!
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Admiral

Crus'in 06,

Any thoughts as to recommended excursions in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas?

Sure.

>> In Cabo San Lucas, take one of the excursions that includes a boat trip to "Land's End" (also called "Los Arcos"). The area is teaming with wildlife in addition to the unusual rock formations that give it its name. There are several such excursions from which to choose, depending upon your other interests. After your excursion, browse through the craft market at the end of the pier before returning to the ship.

>> If it's your first visit to Mazatlan, take the tour of the city highlights with the folkloric show featuring the Pampatla Fliers. The city has some very impressive artwork and architecture. After your excursion, browse through the flea market located to the right of the cruise terminal before returning to the ship.

>> In Puerto Vallarta, take the tour called "Tequilla Factories and Beach" -- and be sure to buy some of the Tequilla-based liqueur at the second distillery! If this tour does not appeal to you, the city highlights tour also is a good choice.

For shopping, be sure to stock up on vanilla -- even the asking price at the craft markets and flea markets is much less than what you would pay at home! Mexico also is known for it silver, but be sure that the silver is stamped "925" before you buy it.

I also recommend taking a look at the ten night and eleven night cruises to the Mexicann Riviera aboard MV Mercury (Celebrity Cruises) and several other lines. These cruises also call at Acapulco, which has a lot of interesting attractions, and Zihuatanejo, which is still primarily a fishing village. The shopping district at the end of the tender pier in Zihuataneo is the city's "downtown" where the locals do their shopping. A handful of shops located near the tender pier are the only shops in Zihuatanejo that focus on the tourist trade.

I hope that this helps!

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

e-mail Harry Martin - he is the moderator on the Mexican board. He has some great ideas for Mexico shore excursions.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

My favorite excursion of all times on all cruises I've been on was the "Swim with the Dolphins" in Peurto Vallarta. I've done it twice and would do it again! If you've never been to Cabo San Lucas, the Land's End thing is good like someone else mentioned. In Mazatlan one time we chose to just shop in the Golden Zone but the last time we did this trip (also on Diamond Princess) we took an all-day tour in Mazatlan and I cannot remember the name of it, but it took us into the mountains into two different towns (Concordia and Copala) and we stopped along the way at a furniture factory and ate at a small restaurant. I enjoyed getting to see these towns and the country-side.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:28 AM
Passenger

Of all cruise lines to go on why choose Princess? They are not a good value in anyway. You would be better off at a Motel 6 in PV. The sevice on the Sapphire sucked....bad. The Diamond being her sister ship probably isnt much better. Don't believe what you read about Princess on these sites. I did believe it all and I paid dearly for it. In the end you can believe whatever you want but if it was my money I'd want more of a sure thing which is do-able with Celebrity or Holland America on any of their ships. Princess is the Trailer Park of cruise lines and anyone who doesnt believe that has to be trailer park themselves. If you do go Princess grab your tank top and cooler and gear down for the time of your life - oh and I'd wear a mullett too ala Joe Dirt, or Joseph Deerte.
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Beginner

i am going on diamond for thanksgiving
i went on saphire and loved it
i have also been to all of these places on a carnival cruise like 4 years ago
i love cruising i am actually going on NCL in 2 days to alaska
Im so excited
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default PRINCESS IS THE TRAILER PARK OF CRUISE LINES?????

OHHH, JILLARICH,

WHY DO YOU SAY PRINCESS IS THE TRAILER PARK OF THE CRUISE LINES?
WE HAVE NEVER CRUISED PRINCESS BEFORE AND YOUR STATEMENT HAS ME CONCERNED. WE ARE BOOKED ON THE DIAMOND FOR ALASKA

DID WE MAKE A MISTAKE CHOOSING PRINCESS?

BAndrews
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Passenger

BAndrews, Don't be worried Jillarich had a bad disembarkation and let it make his whole trip terrable. If you read all his posts he started by saying his cruise was good but some unfriendly staff , but the more he posted all over the board he got nasty. I sailed the Dawn in Feburary and had a great time and have since booked the Diamond just to try the mega ship. I found it very hard to see how Jillarich could not find a waiter to get him drinks, every cruise I have been on they are constantly all over you trying to get you drinks. All I can think is that he was very rude and know one wanted his orders(but that is just a guess).

Be happy with your choice BAndrews.

Rick Niles
Kamloops BC Canada
Old June 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Princess Trailer Park of Cruise Lines??????

RICKK,
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I'VE ROAMED ALL OVER CM WEBSITE READING COMMENTS ABOUT ALASKAN CRUISES AND PRINCESS AND I JUST COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHY A STATEMENT LIKE THAT WAS EXPRESSED. WE HAVE WAITED A LONG TIME FOR THIS CRUISE AND DIDN'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE.

I NOTICED YOU ARE FROM kAMLOOPS, B.C. MY COMPUTER AND I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH VANCOUVER. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I DIDN'T THINK ANY PLACE WAS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN EAST TEXAS, BUT EACH PLACE HAS ITS ON BEAUTY., AND VANCOUVER CERTAINLY HAS ITS SHARE.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I'M GLAD TO KNOW THAT PRINCESS IS NOT AS STATED BY A DISGRUNTLED PASSENGER.

BAndrews
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Passenger

BAndrews, one other little bit of advice, on computers, typing in Capitals is considered yelling. So you might want to hit your caps lock key.

Have a great cruise

Rick
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Rikk,

I really didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.