Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Passenger

Default Island Princess to Alaska -- anyone gone?

Just curious...I have my first cruise coming up in June 06 to Alaska...northbound. Anyone been on this cruise before on the Island Princess? If so, what can i expect...and anyone been in a "Oceanview Double with balcony" stateroom? Any information will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I sailed the Island Princess in Jan. (not Alaska, but 15 nights to Hawaii and back) LOVED the ship
Here's a link to a thread, where I was sending back daily reports from the ship that should give you a pretty good feel for the ship

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547343
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Island Princess to Alaska -- anyone gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden4cook
Just curious...I have my first cruise coming up in June 06 to Alaska...northbound. Anyone been on this cruise before on the Island Princess? If so, what can i expect...and anyone been in a "Oceanview Double with balcony" stateroom? Any information will be appreciated.
I'll be southbound in June of '06 on island.. I have no further contribution to this thread What room are you in? I'm in E7xx, the stern of emerald deck.
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:34 PM
First Mate

Good evening,

We sailed on her twice, one of those, southbound from Whittier, B5xx balcony on Baja deck.
Very nice cruise; she's , imo, the '' ideal'' size, easy to get around. All aspects of both cruise we took on her were OK.

What cabin did you book for yourself ??

At that time of the year, you'll have LONG daylight...it's fabulous specially from day # 3 onward; you'll see some pretty spectacular sunsets ( if the weather cooperates.....).Your last day in College Fjord, followed by a nice slow sail towards Whittier will be to die for, if you have good skies ( does not have to be cloudless...).You actually arrive in Whittier approx midnite, or 12.30am...at the time you cruise, small amount of daylight left and tremendous scenery.

Happy sailings
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Beginner

My husband and I just returned from the 15 day Hawaii Cruise aboard the Island Princess. We had the Ocean View double with a balcony and it was fantastic. We are long haul truckers so used to small spaces but we were quite thrilled with the size of our room. There was tons of closet space complete with hangers (34 in our room). I think at least 6ft of closet plus 5 shelves in a closet complete with a safe. We felt we had way more than enough storage space. The balcony had a square table and two plastic lawn chairs. We had a champaign breakfast out there and it was wonderfully romantic.
The bed was two twins pushed together and not really all that comfortable and the pillows were like rocks but for all the time we spent in it it wasn't a big deal.
There is laundry for you to do your own and it costs $1 for each wash and $1 for each dry plus $1 for soap. Each laundry room had an ironing board and iron.
The Island Princess is a beautiful ship and you will have a great time. Our friends have done the Alaskan Cruise and can't say enough good about it. Have fun.
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Captain

We sailed the Island to Alaska, northbound, last June. Loved it.
After the cruise I wrote a review so check and see if it's still there in Readers' Reviews.

Short version. We did this as a last minute thing (6 days) when we got a steal on it. It was one of the best cruises out of our 24. The glaciers were phenomenal. We had done a RCCL three years ago, roundtrip from Vancouver (I think it was billed as inside passage) and we thought it was great, but this blew it away.

I would love to do it again but think I would prefer doing southbound just so the air portion was not so long on the homebound stretch. But that's a minor detail. Loved the trip, loved the ship, loved the service.

Magnolia Blossom