Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default Frustration with announcements

I'm just getting back from the Dawn. I really enjoyed my cruise but one thing I found frustrating..and reading the message below about the captain not warning passengers when the ship turned..reminded me of my frustration with the announcements. While you were in the public areas you could hear it perfectly but the minute you stepped into your cabin all you could hear were sounds..I can't tell you how many times I was in my cabin..heard the the sound of an announcement but could not hear clearly what was being said..rushed to open the door to the hallway only to catch the last "thank you" without having a clue as to what was just said! So..even if that captain HAD made a warning announcement..I wouldn't have heard it if I was in the cabin..is this true for all ships?

Camelia
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I too rushed out to the hallway when they made an announcement,until I discovered the announcement was made on one of the tv channels as well...Dot
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Admiral

What DalTx sez is true, and also, some of the ships, and some of the cabins have a volume control where you can turn up the volume on the announcements. Sorry, I don't remember exactly which ships, but I know for a fact that some have this. Take a look next cruise.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Camellia,

Besides what Dot said about the TV channel, if the Captain has an announcement to make it will come into the cabins (overriding the TV, if you have it on) through the speaker. This may not be true of all cruise ships, but we've noticed it on Carnival, Princess, and NCL.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Captain usually makes an announcement every morning about 10:00 or 11:00 about the position of the ship, the conditions of the seas, the weather report, etc.

The other announcements are usually made by the CD. Unless you've forgotten what you want to do, these are unimportant !

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Passenger

Default I must remember to turn my tv on more often!

It makes sense that it would be used as a communication device if needed..but sometimes I'd forget to turn it on..I didn't realize however that there might be volume control buttons in the cabin..I must ask the steward next time..and I just KNOW that there will be a next time..lol!!

Thanks for the input..

Camelia
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Passenger

Default captains messsages

Hi,

I just returned from the Golden and I had the same problem if the door was closed, and it usually was. I didn't care for that myself. I didn't know about the TV having the message. I enjoyed the trip and I'm looking for a Med. cruise with a lot of Italy ports. See what I can find. Anyone have any suggestions?

Elly B
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The announcements are normally on the same channel as the bridge cam.

Take heart in knowing that if it's a message of consequence they overide the system and will send it into cabins as well.

Do you really want art auction announcements etc disturbing you in the cabin