CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Island Princess - Dining option quesstion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/308865-island-princess-dining-option-quesstion.html)

garden4cook February 13th, 2006 04:12 AM

Island Princess - Dining option quesstion

I am cruising to Alaska June 06 - my first ever cruise. I have a question about dining options...In the brochure, it states: Anytime Dining, Tradtional Dining as well as Specialty Dining.

A) Is there a cost for Specialty Dining?...and if so, about how much.

B) How about Casual Dining (24 hour buffet,, late night bistro, patisserie, pizzeria, ice cream bar, etc)... Is there a charge for any of these???

1st cruise June 26, 2006
Island Princess room A3x7
northbound from Vancouver

Magnolia Blossom February 13th, 2006 08:26 AM

We did that cruise the same week as you last year and loved it.
Yes, there is a charge for specialty restaurants but I don't recall exactly how much. Seems as though it ranged from a low of $5 (discounted from $10 on formal night) to $20. I think the exact amounts are available on Pricess' web sit but I'm not positive. Reservations are needed and some of the restaurants book up quickly so book early in the cruise.

It seems there was 24 hour dining but I'm not much of a night owl so I couldn't swear to that. I can assure you that you will not go hungry! If nothing else I do know that room service is available 24 hours and is free but remember to tip the waiter upon delivery. If you check your Princess Patter (the daily newsletter) it will give you the hours of each dining area for the upcoming day. The letter is delivered to your room each evening as your steward turns down your bed. It is a source of invaluable information. Princess doesn't do as many P.A. announcements as some cruise lines (thank goodness) so it's up to you to read up on what's happening about the ship.

This was one of our favorite cruises, especially College Fjord. There were a LOT of glaciers calving while we were there and it was just spectacular. Alaska is a place that is truly spiritual in all it's grandeur. We saw fabulous whales near the inlet to Glacier Bay as well as amusing sea otters and other critters. Lots of eagles and orcas on excursions - just fabulous. You've made my morning by recalling those special days. I think we might just have to do that again!

Harry Martin February 13th, 2006 11:29 AM

If I recall from January, Sabitnis was $25 and the Bayou Cajun restaurant was $15 or $20 per person.

Harry

John L. February 26th, 2006 08:21 PM

Last month, on our cruise, we only ate at the Bayou which is extra $$. I had a porterhouse steak and it was delicious and worth the cost. My wife had a shrimp dish which was too spicy for her and not worth the money. We did not eat at Sabatini's because of too many below average comments. We did dine in a Sabatini's on another Princess ship and we were not impressed. Pizza is up in the corner of the pool deck and above that is the hamberger grill. These are only open during the day for the likes of lunch and pool snacks. The pizza was very good. After hours will be at the Horizon Buffet. I don't know how late it is open but it is very limited around midnight. We enjoyed their ice cream or other deserts. One night the chef was grilling steaks and I had a steak sandwich and ice cream. I never used room service so I can't comment on the quality. The food in the Horizon mimics the food in the dinning rooms early on but they seem to remove it as the evening progresses. The Horizon has a wider variety and quality of deserts than on the dining room menu. I have a sweet tooth so that area gets my attention. I thought the food was excellent, but others may disagree.

John L.