Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to tinymrf
Default Pre Cruise nite in San Pedro CA

Has anyone spent the night in the area around the port of San Pedro, CA prior to boarding the Island Princess for Hawaii? Looking at what's available and reading the reviews on surrounding hotels makes me wonder about the safety of area. We want to drive in the day before and be fresh when starting our cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We did that cruise in Jan. Stayed at the LA Harbor Hotel. (it's in the midst of a transition to Sheraton - You can find it on the Sheraton web site). Great rates, breakfast included, nice hotel... and the staff were wonderful.

Bellman recommended a fabulous restaurant, and then drove us over in the hotel's shuttle bus, and we called when we were ready to be picked up. Then also drove us to the pier in the morning.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Captain

You are right to be concerned about the area as a whole. This is LAPD/Harbor Division's area (retired LAPD here) and it is a real "mixed bag." I would take Kuki's recommendation and run with it.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to tinymrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
We did that cruise in Jan. Stayed at the LA Harbor Hotel. (it's in the midst of a transition to Sheraton - You can find it on the Sheraton web site). Great rates, breakfast included, nice hotel... and the staff were wonderful.

Bellman recommended a fabulous restaurant, and then drove us over in the hotel's shuttle bus, and we called when we were ready to be picked up. Then also drove us to the pier in the morning.

When I read some of the comments by guests who stayed in the area it sounded like the place was pretty run down and that security was definitely an issue. In reading your response, it sounds like it's not an issue. Also they said the hotel shuttle was a "hurry up and wait" type of thing especially if you parked the car at the hotel during your cruise and was waiting to be picked up after your cruise.

IT seems like a mixed bag of comments.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Maybe the problems were prior to the renovations for the switchover to the Sheraton brand, but certainly we never experienced any of those.

We found the staff to be the most friendly and put lots of effort into assisting us, and making us feel appreciated. It was as good an over night hotel stay as I've experienced anywhere, even in some more upscale hotels.

I do know they do have a park and stay, and a jet and stay package available as well. And everyone in our group had positive comments about the airport and pier pick ups.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Passenger

We live in Long Beach and took the Diamond last March to Mexico.... the area that Long Beach hosts the Grand Prix race each year is right accross the bridge from the cruise terminal... There is a Westin, a Hyatt hotels and it is just beautiful... the area is called Shoreline Village, The Pike, the Convention Center is there and the Performing Arts Center.... very nice and safe.... many many resteraunts to choose from all walking distance.... just a 10 minute drive from the terminal....
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Beginner

In January we stayed the night before at the Hilton Long Beach and we had dinner at their "cafe" restaurant. There weren't any restaurants within walking distance but there was a free bus system with pickup in front of hotel. We used it to go to visit the Queen Mary but had to transfer to another bus to get there. Long Beach has a beautiful town area. Took a cab to ship in morning for around $10 and 10 minute ride.

John L.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with the last two posters with regard to staying in Long Beach, rather than San Pedro. We also stayed at the Hilton and it was great, one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever had. Dinner at the "Grill" restaurant both nights was great too and this is right in the hotel. Breakfast buffet was included with Executive rooms and we paid $129.00. Quite close to pier ($16.00 taxi ride). Area was very clean and safe and the harbour area of Long Beach is beautiful with lots of great restaurants and the Aquarium and the Queen Mary. Yes, you can take the free shuttle to all these places.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default LA Harbor Hotel Was Great!

I just wanted to let you know that I agree with Kuki. We've stayed at the LA Harbor Hotel three times, twice when it was the Sheraton. The staff has always been very helpful and we love the parking, since it's all inside. We think the rooms are fine. They are a little worn, but are being upgraded. We requested a room facing the port (in advance). When we checked in, the desk clerk told us that it cost additional for rooms facing that way. Since the lady in group reservations arranged it, we got what we asked for, at no additional charge, and had a wonderful view of the port (check out our photos in the Photo Gallery under SharB). We didn't need the shuttle for dinner, since we walked across the street to the Green Onion and had a very good Mexican dinner. The restaurant is more of a Sports bar, but the food was excellent. Like Kuki said, the hotel offers free shuttle service to areas and we really didn't feel uncomfortable walking around the immediate area after dark. The Ports of Call Village is scary in the evening, but they have an Acapulco Mexican Restaurant that has more of a part atmosphere and a big variety of food and drinks.

I don't agree that it's a 10 minute drive from Long Beach to San Pedro - maybe if you are the only one on the road. Some of our friends from Seattle used a shuttle from their Long Beach hotel to the San Pedro Pier and it took them 35 minutes (on a Saturday). That may be a non-issue, but I just wanted to mention that traffic can be a huge factor in the 10 miles. I agree that Long Beach is a great place to stay with plenty to see, but if you are just looking for a place to unwind, have a casual breakfast, and catch the shuttle both ways to the port. You can't go wrong with LA Harbor Hotel.

Happy Cruising!
Shar
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Passenger

The Holiday Inn long beach has a transfer and/or parking package for cruisers -- the price includes transfers from the airport, to the ship, and then back to the airport, bottle of champagne, breakfast -- I forget the price-- I think it was very reasonable. I didn't receive an email back from the motel until after my Priceline bid had been accepted-- so I'm not using them for upcoming cruise I did not find this info on their website, but saw it somewhere else, and emailed using the address on their website. THey offer parking, and hotel to ship transfers for those who drive down.
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:11 AM
Familiar Face

The first thing you need to do is ask your TA to find out if the Island departs from San Pedro or Long Beach. Carnival Corp (Princess' mother company) has terminals at both places. Although not far by water, hotels in Long Beach might not want to deliver you to the San Pedro terminal.

The Four Points Sheraton is a pretty good hotel in San Pedro. Any of them near the Convention Center would be Ok in Long Beach.

If you're driving in, you'd want to be able to park you car free; after you find out where your ship will depart from, check out www.parksleepfly.com and check out which hotels offer a package that will allow you to park your car for free if you spend one night at the hotel pre-cruise. Their shuttle will also deliver you to the appropriate terminal, but you need to know whether you'll depart from Long Beach or San Pedro.

That site is good for homeports all over the country, by the way.

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
28 cruises down, next up: Carnival Victory May 17; Royal Princess July 7; Sapphire Princess September 12