Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to he88062
Default Is Princess Horror!

Heads Up! My partner and I were on 1/06 cruise from LA and experienced a horrendous disembarcation! Our cabin was on same floor of the gangway to exit ship and we were first colors to be called to exit BUT the narrow hallway outside our cabin QUICKLY filled with passengers who should NOT have been there with their luggage! The hallway was one continous people jam and we stood there for 50 minuets without moving two steps! There were people in wheelchairs, LOTS of seniors and even several room stewards held at an absolute stand still. We could hear various colors being called to exit BUT simply could not move. Our hallway was a disaster waiting to happen and passengers levels of anxiety and panic were raising rapidly. It was a horrific claustrophobic experience I will never forget and came close to fainting for lack of adquate ventilation throughout the hallway. Finally, a desperate woman who was also suppossed to exit first for an early flight began screaming for people to move to the left to allow her to pass....suddenly ALL those passengers who were NOT called BUT in line crowding the hallway, moved over and we made our desperate escape. If you find yourself in similar situation be sure to ask people in line if their color has been called and if not, to move over to the left of the hallway to allow those who have been called room to exit. This was THE most terrifying experience I have ever had exiting a cruise ship and will NEVER again take this particular cruise again.....staff at the exit doors had ABSOLUTE NO CLUE of the hundredes of passengers stuck in that narrow hallway for nearly one hour. Is Princess travelers to Hawaii You have been warned!
Henry (he88062@yahoo.com)
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Sounds like one of my disembarkations from Carnival and RCI, they called 'Everyone off' and it bunked up like you've never seen.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Cunard too need to put some thought into the QE2 disembarkation process. All 'self disembarking' passengers gathered at the designated time in the centre of the ship, taking their luggage with them & sitting down in the centre circle. Unfortunately they were not allowed to stay there as it was determined to be a 'hazard'. Instead everyone had to queue round the outside of this circle, blocking all the corridors & access routes with themselves & luggage.

Who's idea was it that having passengers block corridors was less of a hazard than sitting in the middle out of the way ???

Alan
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The fault lies with your fellow passengers NOT the cruise lines in these situations. The repeat over and over again to remain in public areas until your color is called, YET so many passengers rush to the lower decks.

Normally they disembark those who need wheelchair assitance first. Then those with " VIP Priority" disembarkation tags, then those with early flights.

The problems are caused by those who think they can do what they like.
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Captain

Kuki has it right. I've seen that on several cruise lines, no matter how much they try to organize, people get off when they want.

On my Sept. Sea Princess cruise, many people were complaining that they were being called by deck because they were staying in New York, not taking flights. They wanted to get off right away and felt because they were in high priced cabins that they should be able to walk right off.

New York port was a zoo with 6 ships in, many with 2000+ passengers, not a pretty sight at all.

My cabin was on the Plaza deck just beyond the lobby and there were people everywhere in that hall, even though they said to keep it clear.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to he88062
Default Passenger Blame

Your absolutely right Kuki, it was the fellow passengers who disregarded the announcements of the crew and who put us all in harms way. I was sooo angry and upset at all those idoits who had absolutely no reason to be lined up before being called. People will do stupid things like crowding into a narrow hallway with other just to try and by pass "authorities". HOWEVER, given this fact of human nature....the cruise staff should know that some guests will do the very opposite in instruction and orders no matter the stupid and dangerous consequences which might occur to others and assign crew members specificly to patrol the exit lines, especially in narrow corridors leading out, for passengers who do not belong there....NO Crew person ever asked for color identification while we were in line and they should. So, I agree that the problem is a result of inconsiderate individuals but the crew should also be more helpful in seperating those who havent been called from those who have, especially around the narrow corridors leading to the exits.
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Captain

People who simply refuse to believe words mean something infuriate me.
On our last Princess cruise, (Island Princess, Alaska) the security people were out in full force and did seem to be clearing areas such as stairways. Don't know about hallways since I was seated quite properly on a sofa in a public area. They were relatively forceful, but nice, about it and most folks finally seemed to "get it". They did also check for bag tag color - first time I've ever really noticed that.

Not to start something, but NCLs freestyle disembarking does reduce this somewhat since you're allowed to wait in your room. As ships continue to increase in size and passenger capacity, given the nature of dunderheads who will not listen, I cannot imagine this situation improving. Sigh . . .
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Its not a Princess problem, its fairly industry-wide. If people would just listen to the announcements and obey them, go to your assigned lounge, sit in nice comfy chairs and wait to be called, as opposed to being crammed like cattle standing around in a line, because you have to be the "first one off".
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Admiral

We disembarked Sun Princess on Feb 16th in Ft. Lauderdale and it was the smoothest disembarkation we've ever experienced.

I wouldn't blame the cruise line if people don't want to follow instructions.

Bill
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

LisaK said:

Quote:
go to your assigned lounge, sit in nice comfy chairs and wait to be called, as opposed to being crammed like cattle standing around in a line, because you have to be the "first one off".
I'd be happy to!

We went to our assigned area on our last Princess cruise and the only place to sit was on the floor! I'm not as young as I used to be, and was amazed at all the teens and young children sitting in the "nice comfy chairs" while we either stood or sat on the floor. (Heavy sigh...)

We're never in a hurry to get off as we either drive or schedule a late flight. NCL offers the best option. You can stay in your cabin until your color is called!

Our next cruise will be on Princess and we'll see how it goes this time .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Beginner

Hell, If it were me, I would stay on the ship until they kicked me off. Why is everyone in such a rush to get off?
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Default Confused

Hi,
We are not using a Princess transfer after our Baltic cruise (fingers crossed) this May. Our flight is not until 3:30 in the afternoon. Are we still assigned a time that we have to leave the ship? Will this be after those who are taking the Princess transfers? Is the order strictly based on flight times or do those of us with our own transportation just leave when we would like?
Thanks for your help!
Carol
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Captain

Go to the purser's desk with your form when it is sent to your cabin. Explain your transportation arrangements to them and they should give you an appropriate color tag
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Kuki is 100% right. Can't disagree. It's not the cruise line's fault, its the people.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
Beginner

Default Thank You!

Thanks, Magnolia Blossom.
I've only done one other cruise and used the ship's transfer so I wasn't sure what the procedure was. One down, 200 more minor details to go!
Carol

Old April 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Beginner

i have been on many princess cruises (7) and getting off the ship is always a mess. princess has a express departure on some cruises but even that is just another way to get a few more dollars from you, and there is still another unorganized line of people, i do not know how to fix it. but the last day always ruins a wonderful experience. cruise lines need to fix this problem.
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Like everyone has said... if people would only listen to the announcements about congregating in stairwells and hallways. Sounds simple,but in reality we still haven't gotten past the saving of lounge chairs on the pool deck or seats in the theatres...... BUT that is a whole other topic. People will not listen until some on is hurt or killed, and then it will be the cruiseships fault.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Patience, patience, patience

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.