Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Default Hawaiian music on board Island Princess?

Hawaiian Music on Island Princess?? Any hula dancing?
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Hi We had none on our christmas cruise, but string chamber music much of the day and two of the best pianist I have ever heard later in the day/evening. (This was atrium music, lounges had great performers, and of course there were the nightly shows) enjoy JIMeeeee
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had Hawaiian dancers and instrumentalists come on IP while we were docked in Oahu - they did the evening show in the Princess theater. They were mostly very young - but did a great job!

Shar
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Beginner

When I lived on the Big Island about 10 years ago, my halau frequently went on board cruise ships to preform, of course, there were far fewer ships then. We were a kupuna, senior or. elder group. I was hoping there would be live Hawaiian music at least some time.
I do also enjoy the piano, but this is HAWAII.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

If they had it, we mised it (confined to the cabin for 3 days). The closest was an occassional tune from the band by the pool. The pool days were far and few between due to heavy winds and rain.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 1/21/06 to Hawaii

Sailed this trip and had a marvelous time.
Unfortunately, no Hawaiian music, except that performed by the musicians on the Lido deck. I was surprised and disappointed by the lack of it.
There was a hula dancing class offered, and even though I have 2 left feet, I did participate, and had fun trying.
As a previous poster mentioned, there was a hula group brought onboard on Oahu, and they put on 2 performances in the Princess Theater. They were excellent - young performers, aged 7-17. They danced to authentic Hawaiian music, performed by 3 adult musicians. No grass skirts or coconut bras. They were dressed in beautiful traditional Hawaiian garb.
I don't know if they are brought aboard every cruise, but they were wonderful, and we were told they have won numerous international awards for their performances.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Beginner

We just returned from the Island Princess. They had the Hawaiin singers and children dancers in Honolulu for both evening shows in the Princess Theater. My wife and I really enjoyed it.