Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
First Mate

Default New disembarkation procedure?

I thought I saw a reference somewhere that Princess was offering self-disembarkation or express-disembarkation now. I can't remember whether I read it on the boards or in a review somewhere.

Carnival did this - if you were willing to haul your own luggage w/o assistance, you could get off the ship earlier than if you waited for your tag to be called.

Can any recent Princess cruisers confirm?

Not that I want to get off the ship early , but it might help me decide whether to take the bus or drive to the port.

Thanks
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Passenger

I just got off the Sapphire princess -- I asked about this at the guest services desk, and was told it was not allowed-- that "express" meant that you had your credit card on file. Since there was an escalator, I really don't see how anyone could manage, unless all they had was carry-on luggage. Considering how slow the elevators were, and how quickly one could claim their baggage, I don't see the benefit. If anyone wanted to speed up their disembarkation, the passport line moved very quickly! The wait was in these lines, not in baggage claim. They called disembarkation by tag colors, so even if you had all your luggage, they checked for the claim stub before they let you off.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
First Mate

The benefit would be if you weren't flying, you don't necessarily have to be the last ones off the ship. We've always patiently waited our turn, but if we were driving to the port (about 3 hours), I wouldn't mind being able to get off earlier to start the long ride home.

I was just curious. I know I read it somewhere, I just can't seem to find where and wondered if anyone else had heard of it.

Thanks
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Beginner

i just read a post on another board saying they just got off the grand, and express early disembarkation was an option. i posted a reply asking if it was offered on all princess ships, but havent heard back yet.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

In Oct on the Dawn we had "self help" and were off in the first batch of PAX but you have to take all of your own luggage.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Admiral

emm,

there was an escalator, I really don't see how anyone could manage, unless all they had was carry-on luggage.

Those of us who fly way too often become quite adept at navigating escalators with a pair of "roller back" suitecases. Nonetheless, every airport and every cruise terminal now has a wheelchair route with elevators instead.

Considering how slow the elevators were, and how quickly one could claim their baggage, I don't see the benefit.

It's much more convenient to wheel my own luggage off of the ship because it eliminates the time spent fishing around in the designated section of the terminal for one's luggage. Also, the longshoremen who unload the luggage do not always set pallates of luggage down gently, and thus may break both the bags and their contents. I have had them cause more damage than the airlines!

Norm.