Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Default Right cruise line for mid-twenties couple?

Hi everyone,

I am considering travelling on a Princess cruise this December, between 7 and 10 days in the Caribbean, Bahamas or Panama Canal. Just wondering if you'd recommend this cruise line for a mid-twenties couple? What is the crowd like on this cruiseline?

I'm trying to decide between this cruise line and royal caribbean? Any reviews?

Also, when would be a good time to book for an early December (cruising as early as the 1st) departure. Now or last minute? Any recommended cheap websites?

I really appreciate the help!
Jackie
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Jackie,

I am considering travelling on a Princess cruise this December, between 7 and 10 days in the Caribbean, Bahamas or Panama Canal. Just wondering if you'd recommend this cruise line for a mid-twenties couple? What is the crowd like on this cruiseline?

Princess tends to draw passengers of all ages. Many younger adults (twenty-something to thirty-something) tend to enjoy the pool games, etc., on days at sea. Seven-day cruises tend to attract more young adults than ten-day cruises, primarily due to lower cost, but there are usually some young adults even on longer cruises.

I'm trying to decide between this cruise line and royal caribbean? Any reviews?

It depends what you like to do and what your lifestyle is. Carnival Cruise Line earned itself a reputation for throwing a fairly wild "frat party" at sea (my travel agent tells me that it has not changed much in spite of the line's efforts to tone it down), while Princess throws a classy party with a lot of style. Royal Caribbean lies somewhere in between -- not as wild as Carnival but not as "upscale" as Princess -- with some innovative activities that might or might not appeal to you, such as its rock climbing walls on the rear of its ships' funnels and even ice skating rinks on its larger vessels. You would find a fair number of young adults on all of these lines.

I recommend buying a guide to cruise lines and cruise ships (Frommer's, Fodor's, Sterns, Berlitz, etc.) at your local bookstore and reading the descriptions of the various lines, then going with a line whose personality matches your style. If you do that, you'll have a great experience.

Also, when would be a good time to book for an early December (cruising as early as the 1st) departure. Now or last minute?

If you want a specific sailing, don't wait. Most cruises do sell out.

Any recommended cheap websites?

Forget the web sites. Book your cruise through a local travel agent who specializes in cruises. The truth is that travel agents usually can match the fares that are available on the web, but they provide a level of personal service that a web site cannot provide. Their service is indispensible, especially for a first cruise.

BTW, don't worry about a travel agent charging you for services. The cruise lines pay very solid commissions, so travel agents generally value cruise bookings. In fact, most travel agents do not charge for booking independent flights and hotel stays in conjunction with cruise packages because the commissions on the cruise packages are quite generous.

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also agree with Norm, but also consider some of the Royal Caribbean ships for a bit more entertainment and activities. Some of the Radiance or better yet, Voyager class have a lot more to offer. I did enjoy my Princess cruises, but I felt it was a bit less active than RCL, especially for your age group.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

we just got back from the sapphire princess and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. i have sailed primarily with carnival and would rate princess above carnival in all aspects. food was better, both in taste and timing, but did not appreciate the anytime dining. as stated elsewhere, you do have to wait if you want a table for two, even with reservations. activities, lounges clubs etc all a little more tasteful on princess. carnivals miracles dining room is a garish pink that was distracting and wait staff slooooowww. time of the year, spring break, school in or out, all this is important when planning a cruise as to age group onboard. but all said and done, every cruise is different, relax and enjoy whenever and wherever you go. be prepared to be pampered and hate going home
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Just wondering if you'd recommend this cruise line for a mid-twenties couple? What is the crowd like on this cruiseline?
I'd actually wonder a bit about the fit of Princess for 20 somethings. Seems to me, that onmajority of my experiences n Princess they attract a bit of an older crowd. And Princess draws alot of repeaters.

We've found entertainment is generally very good. If you're after a ship with a lively night life you're not as likely to find that on Princess, as you would RCI.

RCI ships are visually stunning, and entertainment is generally very good as well. Princess would definitely win the "ratings war" when it comes to food.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Beginner

the first two cruises my wife an i went on were royal carib ships, and they got us addicted to cruising. we were 30 (me) and 22 (my wife), but even then we were not big partyers. royal carib has a great product, and is certainly more festive than princess. having said that, after 11 cruises, princess is our favorite line, based on the overall quality of the cruise. we also like Holland, but that is definitely an older crowd. we now cruise with our two kids, and that fact effects things as well. i would stay away from carnival if you are looking for great quality (at least with respect to food, service, crowds). i have heard that the food on royal carib is not that good anymore, but the ships are always nice. unless you want to party till you drop, i am certain you would like princess; and that is what i recommend.
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

I'd actually wonder a bit about the fit of Princess for 20 somethings. Seems to me, that onmajority of my experiences n Princess they attract a bit of an older crowd. And Princess draws alot of repeaters.

It really depends where and when you go and for how long. There's no guarantee as to the mix of passengers on any particular sailing, of course, but seven-night cruises to Alaska, the Caribbean, and the Mexican Riviera during school vacation periods tend to draw a much younger crowd than longer cruises, cruises to other destinations, and cruises at other times of year, but you'll find a lot of young adults even on some cruises that violate these criteria. A few years ago, I was astounded to find two hundred (200) children aboard the original MV Royal Princess (45,000 tons, 1200 passengers) for a twelve-day cruise to "Western Europe & Scandanavia" in early June. Nearly all of those children brought their parents with them, so there were quite a few number of young adults aboard. Alas, school vacations generally do not begin until late June here in New England so I did not realize that they begin around Memorial Day in other parts of the country.

Most passengers also tend to interact with a lot of members of the crew who are "twenty-something" or even younger during the course of a typical cruise. If one is on a cruise where there are few young adults among the passengers so "night life" is pretty dead, one usually can party with the younger members of the crew in the disco.

Norm.
Old March 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Jackie, on Princess you will find a diverse mix of all ages. True the shorter cruises will attract more young adults and family cruisers over the longer cruises, but its all about you and what you make of your cruise experience. I mean you could meet some fuddy-duddy twenty/thirty somethings just as easily as you could meet some great 40+ year olds. Pick the cruise that best suits your personal needs, wants and desires. Go back to the main page and read Anne's reviews of the ships you are considering. Her reviews are profession and un-biased.
Princess ships and her passengers have a casual-elegance about them, they aren't flashy, or glitzy, but they aren't snooty either. Princess is like a nice resort hotel.