Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping?

Is tipping done at your own discretion or automatically applied at end of cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jac,
In most cases, you can figure on $10.00 a day, per person for tips. Depending on the cruiseline, some will automatically charge your credit card through your sign/sail card. While others will provide envelopes at the end of the cruise to put cash in and tip the various staff members that have been serving you all week. There is something nice about tipping personally with cash, but its also much easier to have them automatically taken out, then you don't have to worry about bringing all that extra cash and dividing it up.[/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM
First Mate

It is automatically applied, unless you stop at the Purser's desk and request otherwise. Personally, I prefer it be that way, and do tip extra when I feel someone deserves it.
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Passenger

that's the thing. i definitely will tip, but i don't like the idea of automatic tipping. i don't think you get the same service. i'd rather tip everyone who deserves it. so, you can go to the desk and request no automatic tipping?

thx
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Yes, you can go and request no automatic tipping. But, however, you tip - the tips are pooled together and divied up ... even if you slip them some cash - they're supposed to turn it in to the pool.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

CruZNut is correct.. They pool the tips. So just know that if you give that special person an extra tip you are giving that tip to a pool.. If I were you I would just use the auto tip system, because you are going to get the same service (good or bad) no matter which way you tip.. The good old days of tipping are gone or are going away, so just put the tips on your "sail and sea" card, ($ 10.00 per day per travler), don't tip extra because it won't buy you anything and enjoy your trip. Spend that extra tip money on a nice steak..OM