Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Default balcony cabins-best location, best deck, etc

Hello- We are planning out next cruise-never had a balcony cabin before-and was wondering if I could get some opinions on what the best location would be-forward, aft, or midship? Also, what is a good deck on the princess lines?

I have also noticed on some princess ships that there is an aft balcony that appears to be accessible from the hallway. Can someone confirm this? Are there chairs out there to sit on, and is it generally crowded?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

My preference for a balcony would be midships ... less walking to everything and smoothest ride. Depends on which ship you choose as to what deck you'd want. Because the Grand style ships are tiered so some of the balconies are more open than others.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with CruzNut. It depends upon which class of ships you are thinking about. The Grand Class ships have tiered balconies and some of the balconies are totally open, and some are covered. Generally the most stable of the cabins are located midships, mideck. Our personal preference is Caribe deck on either the Grand or Sun Class vessels.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Thanks-by tiered I guess that means that people can look down into your balcony, or are there some decks that offer more private balconies?

Also are the balconies railed, glass, or what? Are they big enough to sit out there and have breakfast, or is it standing room only.

Thanks for your help!
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Laurid,

Our favorite is also Caribe deck on the Grand class. The balconies are half covered. If you are standing by the rail people can look down and see you.

If I recall correctly the railings on the balconies have Plexiglass with a wooden top.

There were two small plastic chairs and a small table on our balcony.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the aft balcony? If you can tell us the name of the ship and the deck, I'm sure someone will be able to answer you!

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
Passenger

On the Grand class there appears to be a balcony accessible from the hallway on the Riviera, Aloha, Baja, Caribe, Dolphin, and Emerald decks, aft. At least it looks that way on the deck plans. Does anyone know if those are sun decks with chairs, or what exactly that is?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Lauri,

On the Grand class there appears to be a balcony accessible from the hallway on the Riviera, Aloha, Baja, Caribe, Dolphin, and Emerald decks, aft. At least it looks that way on the deck plans. Does anyone know if those are sun decks with chairs, or what exactly that is?

A cabin located aboard the ship is definitely preferable to a cabin located on the pier.

Beyond that, the location of a cabin really does not matter too much. The cabins nearest amidships theoretically experience less motion than those nearest the bow and the stern, but the reality is that modern cruise ships usually do not have noticeable motion in the first place, thanks to the combination of their size and the use of dynamic stabilizers to counter the ocean's torques. I generally prefer a cabin located above the Promenade Deck because it has more convenient access to the topside facilities (pool and buffet areas, etc.), but the cabins below the promenade deck don't have balconies so even that is not a consideration for you.

Norm.
Old March 24th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Passenger

Default Balcony cabins

We had a balcony last summer on the Caribbean Princess on the Caribe Deck. It was nice size, also being half covered. In may we will have a aft cabin on the Dolphin Deck on the Diamond. I will let you know when we get back . I was told by my TA all aft balconies on the aft are covered.
Ohio Cruisers
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Passenger

i was just on the baja deck, mid ship b603, and we could see right down to people below us, two floors below of balaconies. someone was above us but they could not seee us!