Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Passenger

Let me start by saying I am not a smoker,watching my Grandma die of emphysema was a good deterent. However this never cured my Mother. My brother and I hounded her for years to stop she always promised she would. Now we have accepted she will quit if/when she is ready.

I hate the way cigarette smoke smells just like any other non-smoker, but that said I also feel smokers have rights also, just because I don't agree with smoking doesn't give me the right to push my beliefs off on other people. Smokers KNOW it is not healthy, but it is their bodies. I just remove myself from the path of second hand smoke, and yes it can be annoying, but I get the last laugh when I see all these people standing outside my office building in 10 degree weather.

As for the balconie's. I always get a balcony if the ship has them, and I have to say I have been lucky. I rarely even seen anyone next to me outside. But I guess I'm too busy enjoying my cruise to sit on the balcony for a long period of time.

I have one complaint though! I have bad allergies and hate perfume/cologne so can everyone stop wearing it so I can be more comfortable, thank you in advance.
Celebrity Zenith-2003
Royal Caribbean VOS-2005
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
As smokers...is that fair that we should have to continue to smell your smoke AFTER you leave!!! That our clothes, luggage, blankets, pillows, towels and even toilet tissue should REAK of the stink of smoke days after you have left? Cleaning with the strongest cleaner can't get the stench out...and this is YOUR RIGHT to hoist on us???

Please don't pull out that tired old horse, "I hate women/men who pour on the perfume/after shave or people with bad body odor". It's not the same and you know it!

You know, it's not just smelling your stinky smoke while you are on board...but AFTER you have gone...you don't take the smoke with you!
OK.....was gonna stay out of this but these last statements were just hogwash! Non smokers go on about second hand smoke killing and the the poster brings up the leftover smell of smoke. Obviously you may find the smell offensive but it's certainly not harmful to your health. Anymore than having a drunk breathing alcohol fumes in your face! I for one, find that totally offensive but harmful to my health....probably not as long as they aren't planning to operate the ship
YES...breathing in second hand smoke CAN be more than just offensive! Bad body odor is offensive and you may feel like you're going to die...but unless there is a certain allergic trigger in the odor you won't. (e.g. they're diry and have mold, dust or have animal hair on them adding to the mix)

BUT second hand smoke is MORE than just a smell. There is particulate matter in the smoke which acts like a trigger to those who are allergic or who have asthma.

If you don't have asthma or lung disease, you can't possibly know the feeling of drowning or being smothered because of a lack of air. You will do anything to avoid that feeling...of slow death...

So...to say that second hand smoke is just offensive and holds no health consequences is to take an uninformed stand.

Would you feel as strongly about personal rights, if the issue was not about smoking...but let's say???? .... a noise issue?

A passenger in the cabin next to yours insists on blasting his CD player on his veranda with music you personally can't stand. He even plays it at night while you are trying to sleep....But You really notice this while you and your pardner are out on your veranda trying to enjoy a sunset/sunrise or port entry, there is that loud music...blasting away.

Not only that, but there he is, playing this loud music while you are trying to read quitely on deck. So you move, but you can still hear it...drifting up from the deck below or across the room. It offends you, distrubs your peace.

The final straw...he plays it while your trying to enjoy a conversation with a friend in the out door cafe...it's like he is following you around...playing this very loud obnoxious music... you can't escape it....and its giving you a headache! But, no use complaining...it's his right!

But I'd bet you'd complain...a lot! He's ruining your cruise...crossing the line, infringing on your rights!
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Fieldmouse, I was merely replying to this statement of yours, "As smokers...is that fair that we should have to continue to smell your smoke AFTER you leave!!! That our clothes, luggage, blankets, pillows, towels and even toilet tissue should REAK of the stink of smoke days after you have left? Cleaning with the strongest cleaner can't get the stench out...and this is YOUR RIGHT to hoist on us??? "....I was not commenting on whether 2nd hand smoke was harmful....
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
Fieldmouse, I was merely replying to this statement of yours, "As smokers...is that fair that we should have to continue to smell your smoke AFTER you leave!!! That our clothes, luggage, blankets, pillows, towels and even toilet tissue should REAK of the stink of smoke days after you have left? Cleaning with the strongest cleaner can't get the stench out...and this is YOUR RIGHT to hoist on us??? "....I was not commenting on whether 2nd hand smoke was harmful....
Oh....Opps...sorry! (no really...I misunderstood what you meant)