Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:29 AM
First Mate

Default Star Princess April 2 cancelled!

3/27/2006
Star Princess Update -- 6:00 am PST

Following a preliminary assessment over the weekend of the damage to cabins aboard Star Princess resulting from last week's fire, it has been determined that additional out of service time is required.
We are therefore regretfully cancelling the ship's April 2 voyage, a Caribbean sailing scheduled to depart from Fort Lauderdale. We sincerely apologize to passengers booked on this cruise for any disappointment and inconvenience this may cause.

Passengers booked on this sailing will receive a full refund of their cruise and air fare. We will also provide a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid on this cruise.

We are continuing to evaluate the situation and will communicate any new information as it becomes available. In the meantime, we appreciate the patience and understanding from our passengers.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Not surprising ... at least now you know. I suppose that reimbursement of airfare is only for those who booked through Princess, which will make it tough on those who made their own reservations.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

The ship is on it's way to a shipyard in Freeport.[/b]
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I guess this is another example of why travel insurance is a must.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Beginner

I do hope that Princess gives its passengers an option as far as taking a refund on both the cruise and the airfare.Our group is scheduled for the April 16th sailing.Out ta has told us that should that sailing be cancelled that we should be able to jump onto another ship for the week.However if Princess doesnt allow us to keep our flights ( we booked through Princess) and refunds the whole price ,that the possibility of catching another flight on this short notice is just about zero and that kills any other options. Anyone had this issue before? What were the options given? thanks. CS
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou
I guess this is another example of why travel insurance is a must.
I have read posts on other threads saying that their cruise insurance will NOT cover this as it is not a "mechanical failure". TravelGuard is the only name of the 3 I read that I remember.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim130
The ship is on it's way to a shipyard in Freeport.[/b]
She┬┤s already at Grand Bahama Shipyard but will sail to Bremerhaven for repairs at Lloyds Werft before going back to service May 15.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut
Not surprising ... at least now you know. I suppose that reimbursement of airfare is only for those who booked through Princess, which will make it tough on those who made their own reservations.
They may cover your airfare best to check with your TA or Princess

http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na774
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Princess said they will reimburse the ones with non-refundable flights.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Cruznut,

I suppose that reimbursement of airfare is only for those who booked through Princess, which will make it tough on those who made their own reservations.

From the company's press release (http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na774

Passengers booked on these cruises will receive a full refund of their cruise and non-refundable air charges. We will also provide passengers with a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid on these sailings.

So long as you cancel your reservations before your scheduled flights depart, you can apply a non-refundable air fare, less the amount of any change fee, toward a future trip. It appears, from the wording of the company's statement, that they will reimburse the change fee (typically either $50 or $100 depending upon the airline)

Norm.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Default 25 percent off

Passengers booked on these cruises will receive a full refund of their cruise and non-refundable air charges. We will also provide passengers with a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid on these sailings.

I'm glad the crew did a great job at putting the fire out. Naturally Princess has to refund everone the full price of the cruises being canceled. As far as the 25 percent off, is the 25 percent off of the best price you can get or off of full cruise price which nobody pays? Usually you get between 35 and 40 percent of of full cruise price if you shop around.
I hate thinking like that. I hope that they really are putting their best foot forward and the people really get 25 percent off of best price and not just 25 percent off of catalog price.
Does anyone know the answer to that yet?