Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Beginner

Default New Waves Scuba Anyone?

Hello we are setting sail for our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess May 27. In addition we are taking the New Waves Open Water Diver Certification Course.

I was wondering has anyone taken this course?
What did you think of it?
Where abouts do you do your in pool dives on the ship?

How does the open water dives work? Do you get off the ship do your dives and then get back on the ship? Do you have any time after that to explore the ports of call?

Oh ya... would it be a bad idea if we brought are own equipment.

Thanks guys... can't wait...
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
First Mate

I have not taken their New Waves course, but can give you some info about diving in general...

From what I've seen on other Princess cruises, the pool work starts almost at the departure time, and you should be finished with it in a day or so. They used one of the pools on the upper deck (the deepest one, as I remember).

The open-water dives would be like any other shore excursion - get off the ship, do two dives, then have the rest of the day available for other things.

You need 4 certification dives - typically get two per day. As for equipment, well, do you have your own mask and snorkel? If so, bring them. They recommend you bring your own snorkel because theirs have been in so many mouths. If you have a mask that fits great, go ahead and bring it too. Fins are easy enough to use anywhere so I wouldn't bother with them.

We did something similar a year ago - our 10-day Princess cruise didn't offer the New Wave (only on select 7-day cruises) so we did our classroom and pool work in Kansas City at a local dive shop, then arranged via email to do two cert dives in Cozumel and two in Grand Cayman. Worked pretty slick, and a good time was had by all. Now my son and I are certified.

Dana
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Beginner

We aren't leaving until Dec '06, so haven't tried them yet. I contacted them at this website http://www.newwaves.com/default.htm and asked for a sample of the schedule for our cruise. They are very cordial and answered fairly quickly.
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks guys

We are so looking forward to becoming certified divers. It's nice that they can offer this package in such a way that you get to visit the ports of call as well.
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Passenger

By now you've likely already completed your certification, and I'd love to know how it went! We tried it on our cruise in December and I felt so rushed during the pool exercises on the first day that I started to get upset. The teacher kept saying we didn't have time to practice...I think it was our teacher who was bad, but we ended up quiting...which was disappointing. Hope your lessons went better than ours!