Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Passenger

Default Confused about room service - Island Princess

I am preparing for my first cruise this summer, and I am also trying to budget what $ I need to bring along. I am a bit confused about this "complimentary Room Service" stuff.

Ok, I understand that i will have to tip the guy who brings the food/drinks to the room...but...

1) When ordering room service -- is there a strict menu to order from, and we can only order from that???

Or...

2. If we decide to order soemething else not on the room service menu, is there a charge for that???

So confused...c.

June 26, 2006
Island Princess
northbound "Voyage of the Glaciers"
room A-3x7
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Admiral

When you enter your stateroom you will find on the desk a lovely leather porfolio. It has lots of information in it and it has the room service menu. The menu is fairly extensive. Items on this menu are complimentary. You will have to pay for soda, or alcohol. Used to be that you could order from room service any food that was on the main menu, complimentary. Not sure if that still is true or not. Call your travel agent and ask.
Room service is not included in the regular or automatic tipping, we usually give the sever a couple of bucks when they arrive with the food.
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Admiral

garden4cook,

Ok, I understand that i will have to tip the guy who brings the food/drinks to the room...but...

1) When ordering room service -- is there a strict menu to order from, and we can only order from that???

Or...

2. If we decide to order soemething else not on the room service menu, is there a charge for that???

Unless somehting has changed:

>> There's a fairly limited room service menu that's available at all times, and

>> The main dining room menu is available through room service during normal dining room hours

at no charge. If you want anything else, it's treated as catering and carries an extra charge.

That said, there's normally no need to order room service on Princess because the Horizon Court (Lido cafe) serves food 24x7. It operates as a bistro (with table service and a decent menu) from 10:00 pm to 4:00 am, followed by fresh breakfast pasteries on the buffet line from 4:00 am until the normal breakfast buffet opens (normally 6:00 am).

Norm.
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Hi Norm,

Are you sure about this?

Quote:
The main dining room menu is available through room service during normal dining room hours at no charge.
The last time we were on Princess we could only order from the Room Service Menu. Have things changed in the last year or so?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Fern, I have two different experiences with this. The first one was on the Island Princess when I got the Norwalk Virus and was comfined to my cabin for three days. My wife stayed with me the whole time since she gets lost just finding the bathroom in the cabin!

Thay gave her the menu for lunch and dinner or she could pick off the room service menu. I also had a "special menu" ... chicken broth, jello, and juice. Now this could just have been them being nice to my wife and not the norm.

Last Novemember on the Grand, all we could order was off the room service menu. I think that this is the norm and the first case was just them being nice to my wife.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Fern,

The last time we were on Princess we could only order from the Room Service Menu. Have things changed in the last year or so?

My last cruise on Princess was a wonderful cruise to "French Polynesia and Samoa" aboard MV Tahitian Princess about three years ago -- and I'm disappointed to see that Princess has dropped that itinerary because Apia and Pago Pago were great ports of call. I decided to move away from Princess partly because I thought the line's "cost cutting programme" and failure to enforce dress standards had degraded the product significantly and partly because I have been less than impressed by the "General Motors" of the cruise industry, with which the parent company voted to merge operations, but that's another matter. If there has been a change in policy in the last three years, it's a discontinuance of the availability of the full dining room menu through room service -- another degradation of the product....

Norm.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rev, I'm curious....................... You state that you have "moved away" from the Princess product, and that you feel that the product has been degraded, but here you are, posting, and presumably reading, the Princess boards. You aren't the only one, I have seen others say that they "will never cruise Princess again",etc, yet they are posting on the Princess board. How come? I know you have every right to, and I don't disrespect your being here, I just wonder why.
We have cruised on different lines, and I can usually be found on the board that addresses our upcoming cruise, but not on boards that address cruiselines that I am not going to cruise again.
Happy sailing, whichever ship you choose.............
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:00 PM
Admiral

DesrtDrmr

[/i]You state that you have "moved away" from the Princess product, and that you feel that the product has been degraded, but here you are, posting, and presumably reading, the Princess boards. You aren't the only one, I have seen others say that they "will never cruise Princess again",etc, yet they are posting on the Princess board. How come? I know you have every right to, and I don't disrespect your being here, I just wonder why.[/i]

Well, why not try to help somebody if I know the answers to their questions? After thirteen cruises, I do know the Princess fleet and many of Princess's destinations pretty well.

Also, there's a part of me that still is curious about what the company is doing, holding out hope that somebody will realize that the company blundered and undo some of the mistakes....

And then there's the part of me that's investing in the industry and thus pays attention to what's happening throughout the whole industry as part of the normal process of investment research. These boards, incidentally, are a great source of information!

We have cruised on different lines, and I can usually be found on the board that addresses our upcoming cruise, but not on boards that address cruiselines that I am not going to cruise again.

That's your choice, of course, but this site will not work if those who have knowledge of various cruise lines and ports through our experience don't share what we know with newcomers who have questions.

Happy sailing, whichever ship you choose.............

And you also!

Norm.
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, Norm.
It IS nice to be able to share...........................I know I sure appreciate answers from those that know about a ship I haven't been on. We, too, are investors and just hope all of the "products" get better and better. I wonder if Princess will be upgraded or downgraded in the future? I hope its the former............
We've been on another line that seems to be turning into a mall.........with very little connection to the sea, and one fast food purveyor already on board.............will we see Mickey D's next?
To return to topic and the OP. There is a particular room service menu which has things like a club sandwich, a continental breakfast, and other limited selections. The official word is that you cannot order anything other than what is on that menu. When I travelled with my elderly mother, I did write in something that was not on the menu, for breakfast, and it was delivered. I think it must depend on the Ship and the galley. There is no charge for room service, other than sodas, alchohol A tip to the person that delivers your order is appreciated.
There is also a menu of things you can order for your cabin such as Chocolate covered strawberries, canapes, nuts, etc, and they all carry a charge.