Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Beginner

Default Packing

My wife and I are taking an 11 day trip to Alaska in 3 weeks.
We just got all of our documents today, and are puzzelled by the luggage restrictions. 8)
I'd like info from anyone that has done this trip before.
We fly from Vancouver to Anchorage, and then fly on to Fairbanks.
We spend one night and part of the next day in Fairbanks, and then bus down to Denali, spend a night and part of the next day there, train to Mt. Mckinley, day and night there,and then leave the next day for Whittier.
Exactly, how much luggage are you allowed to take on the train. From what I'm reading, you're only allowed 1 bag measuring 17x11x4". Sure doesn't leave much room for anything.
I would appreciate any and all information for thos that have been on this trip.
transman 8)
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Admiral

transman,

My wife and I are taking an 11 day trip to Alaska in 3 weeks.
We just got all of our documents today, and are puzzelled by the luggage restrictions.
I'd like info from anyone that has done this trip before.
We fly from Vancouver to Anchorage, and then fly on to Fairbanks.
We spend one night and part of the next day in Fairbanks, and then bus down to Denali, spend a night and part of the next day there, train to Mt. Mckinley, day and night there,and then leave the next day for Whittier.
Exactly, how much luggage are you allowed to take on the train. From what I'm reading, you're only allowed 1 bag measuring 17x11x4". Sure doesn't leave much room for anything.
I would appreciate any and all information for thos that have been on this trip.

This sounds like a case of less than clear communication because one small suitcase obviously is not sufficient for a trip of eleven nights that includes a cruise on which you will need formalwear.

When my parents took a similar trip in the opposite direction a few years ago, Princess told them to pack whatever they would need at Denali (toiletries, razor, a couple changes of clothes, a sweatshirt, a jacket, etc.) in a carry-on bag to take on the train. Princess brought the rest of their luggage directly from their hotel in Anchorage to their hotel in Fairbanks and delivered it to their hotel. That arrangement works out pretty well since you don't need formalwear, etc., at the stops during the land tour. AFAIK, it is still in place. You might need to include another change of clothes or two since you have two stops en route.

Have a great expedition!

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Familiar Face

We did this trip last year. The small bag is only for the overnight in Denali and was not a problem. Just pack extra pair of casual clothes, medicine, and makeup,etc.. Small size bottles are great to put everything in and put them all in a zip lock bag in case one leaks. All other luggage was tranferred on to next destination. We really did very little in the way of having to handle our own baggage.