Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Default just curious..are there any any ships that you know of that

don't have inside cabins? I'm assuming that the expensive cruiselines like Crystal and Seabourne don't but what about the lower end lines? I remember reading once about a ship coming out that had inside cabins looking out on the inside atrium (where the shopping was)..did that ever happen?

Camelia
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Queen Mary 2 has some atrium cabins.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: just curious..are there any any ships that you know of t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia
don't have inside cabins? I'm assuming that the expensive cruiselines like Crystal and Seabourne don't but what about the lower end lines? I remember reading once about a ship coming out that had inside cabins looking out on the inside atrium (where the shopping was)..did that ever happen?

Camelia
If you are talking about Princess ships they all have indide cabins. The only one that didn't was the Royal Princess but unfortunately that is no longer in the Princess fleet.
Jim..
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

THAT SHIP WOULD BE PART OF THE ROYAL CARRIBBEAN CRUISE LINE.
MY DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW CRUISED TO THE CARRIBBEAN ON THEIR HONEYMOON. I DON'T RECALL THE NAME OF THE SHIP BUT ROYAL CARRIBBEAN CAN TELL YOU. MY DAUGHTER WAS AFRAID OF MOTION SICKNESS AND THEY BOOKED A STATEROOM INSIDE THAT LOOKED DOWN INTO THE ATRIUM. HER WORD FOR IT WAS " AWSOME"
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Camelia,

The original MV Royal Princess, which entered service in 1984, was a very innovative ship.

>> She was the first cruise ship to have her promenades connected fore and aft to form a full loop around the ship for those wishing to walk laps.

>> She was the first cruise ship to have the evening entertainment spaces on lower decks rather than upper decks.

>> She was the first cruise ship to have standard cabins with balconies.

>> She was the first cruise ship to have only outside cabins (though some had obstructed vision).

>> She was the first cruise ship to have a full bathtub in the head of every cabin.

Regarding outside cabins, though, the cruise lines actually found that there are curmudgeons like me who are quite happy to take three cruises in inside cabins rather than two cruises in outside cabins, at comparable cost, and just as happy not to have the first rays of dawn disturb our slumber. Thus, Princess gave up on that idea and the other "mass market" lines never adopted it, though some of the newer vessels of the "premium" lines are configured with proportionately fewer inside cabins and proportionately more cabins with balconies and suites than their predecessors.

The ships that don't have inside cabins tend to be smaller "yacht-like" vessels that are not wide enough to accommodate inside cabins between outside cabins.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Admiral

the Voyager Class and Freedom class ships of Royal Caribbean have Promenade staterooms, inside cabins with large windows that overlook the "Main Street" area (shops, bars)
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Passenger

Default thanks for your responses

What ships would be included in the Voyager class and I'm supposing that the new Freedom of the Seas would be one?

Camelia
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
First Mate

I believe the Voyager class consists of Voyager, Explorer, and Adventurer of the Seas. The Freedom class is larger, and consists of Freedom and two unnamed ships (one delivered in 2007, one in 2008). Both Voyager and Freedom class include the indoor promenade.

Dana
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Dana,

The Freedom class is larger, and consists of Freedom and two unnamed ships (one delivered in 2007, one in 2008). Both Voyager and Freedom class include the indoor promenade.

Royal Caribbean International has now assigned the name Liberty of the Seas to the second ship of the Freedom of the Seas class. That line also has ordered the first ship of another new class (220,000 tons, 5400 passengers), the design effort for which was called "Project Genesis."

Here's how the Post-Panamax vessels compare, by cruise lines.

Princess Cruises

* MV [i]Grand Princess[/i[: 109,000 tons, 2,600 passengers (class: 3 in service)

* MV Diamond Princess: 113,000 tons, 2,670 passengers (class: 2 in service)

* MV Caribbean Princess: 117,000 tons, 3,100 passengers (class: 2 in service, 1 under construction)

Carnival Cruise Line

* MV Carnival Triumph: 101,509 tons, 2,758 passengers (class: 2 in service)

* MV Carnival Conquest: 110,000 tons, 2974 passengers (class: 6 in service)

Celebrity Cruies

* GTS Solstice: 118,000 tons, 2850 passengers (class: 2 under construction)

Cunard Lines Ltd.

* MV Queen Mary 2: 151,400 tons, 2620 passengers (class: 1 in service)

Royal Caribbean International

* MV Vyager of the Seas: 138,000 tons, 3,114 passengers (class: 5 in service)

* MV Freedom of the Seas: 160,000 tons, 3,634 passengers (class: 1 in service, 2 under construction)

* "Project Genesis" Vessel (Unamed): 220,000 tons, 5,400 passengers (class: 1 on order, more orders expected)

As you can see, Royal Caribbean's new ships redefine "huge" for passenger vessels.

Norm.