Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Default princess aft cabin

Anyone have any comments onthe Princess aft cabins? I hear they are very vibration noisy. Also, any comments on Princess. I have always traveled on RCI and am hearing negative about Princess. PLEASE HELP before I book and make a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Familiar Face

We cruised on the Diamond last year to Alaska in B753. We liked the cabin so much that we just returned from the Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire in the same cabin.

There was a bit of a vibration but I wouldn't say it was to the point of being a problem. The cabin was great and the balcony along with the privacy it provided certainly outweighed any vibration. The aft cabin would ALWAYS be my first choice as would Princess
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I was in A740 on the Diamond Princess - farthest aft inside cabin on the starboard side of the ship - just steps from the door that takes you 5 steps up to the Terrace Pool. I loved the location of the cabin but the noise in that cabin was just horrible! It didn't happen during the day, but at night when I was trying to sleep, there was a constant sound like water rushing through pipes, etc. Off and on all night long, every night. Yes, I did feel a little vibration, but nothing out of the ordinary. Along with that whooshing noise, I did hear some clanging noises once in awhile. The only thing I can figure is that my cabin was so close to the pool that these noises were associated somehow with the pool. Also on the night of the Tropical Deck Party, the noise was horrible! Sounded like a stampede of cattle on the ceiling of my cabin (I was going to go the party, but ended up with a headache and tried to lay down.) And the noise anytime someone opened the door to the deck was horrendous - and they would prop the door open! Lasted from 10:30 til after 1:00am. I'm not sure how noisy an aft cabin on a lower deck would be, but I bet it would not be as bad as it is on Aloha deck.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Passenger

Just back from my first cruise on Princess (caribbean) and i have no complaints. It was a wondrful cruise, food, staff and activities all exceeding my expectations. My sister had previously cruised on Costa and did not have much good to say about it but was extremely impressed with Princess in comparison. We were in our cabin in about 30 min, disembarkation was fast and organized, and tenders to princess cays was amazingly fast and efficient. I say go for it, I'm not even considering another line for our next cruise.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Default aft cabin

We are sailing Sat. on the Diamond Princess. We have D741 which is an aft cabin. I will post when we get back how we like the cabin. As far as Princess I really like the cruiseline. Ohio Cruisers
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

came back from the sapphire, be deck, last aft balcony cabin before the suites and no noise at all. long walk, but well worth it. best of 11 cruises and today booked caribbean princess for sept. 06.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Ohio cruisers, those who want to know will be waiting for you all to return and to give your review.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Default Princess Aft Cabins

We just returned from the Princess Diamond. We had cabin D741 , this is and aft cabin. It was a perfect cabin. We had no vibration at all. We only had one neighbor on our left which was a suite. Being we had no neighbor on our right our balcony was a little larger. The balcony was completely covered which was perfect for Alaska. We also go not wind back here.
Ohio Cruisers
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Default cabin B753 Diamond Princess

Can you tell me if the balcony divider to the Grand Suite appeared as if it could be opened?? If there was a little key hole at the top, means it may open.

We are sailing in Jan. and have all three cabins aft on Baja deck and wanted to be able to open them all up.

Thanks for any info.
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Default Aft Cabin

I don't think we had a door to the suite cabin that was on the corner. We were on the Dolphin Deck and there was no cabin on our right side. We loved the cabin. Cruisers from Ohio
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the reply...actually it was for "Princesscruisers" They were in B753.
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Familiar Face

I called Princess and they told me that it might be possible between B753 and the owners suite but that they didn't think it was possible on the other side. I was told to call back Mon-Fri. Enjoy your cruise......B753 was a great cabin.

Kathy
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Familiar Face

I have another thread on this, about don't book cabin D-741 on the Diamond. In spite of the fact that Ohio Cruiser had no problem with that cabin, it was a fluke.

Don't get me wrong, there's no vibration or other noise, and if you like the sound of the wake it's great. WE've had aft balcony cabins twice on the Star Princess and theTahitian Princess and other ships, and love them.

However, when we boarded the Diamond and poked our heads out onto the balcony, the stench made me gag. Our daughter (who was in anohter cabin) became sick to her stomach when she went out on our balcony. Her's was in another part of the ship, much smaller, but fine.

I have posts from similar threads on Cruise Critic and Cruise-Addicts, as well as here, from others who have had the same problem. The Purser Office people said they knew about the problem, but that it would take an engineer and construction men a week to fix it, and the sales people kept selling it.

Everybody who came to our balcony or the none next door said that it smelled like either a meat locker or rotting onions. The filter room is next door and the kitchen vents from the garbage grinders are not just piped to that part of the air filtering system adjacent to this cabin, but the vents blow directly into that balcony.

I also have comments on various threads from people who have experienced the same problem, not just in this balcony cabin, but in cabin 619 (she didn't say which deck) on the Coral Princess and cabin D-740 on the Emerald Princess. So, be very careful when booking aft balconies. On the Grand Class ships, D-deck aft balconies adjacent to the filter rooms can smell.

Our next cruise will be on the (new) Royal Princess, which isn't new at all, but is one of the old Ren ships (sister to the Pacific and Tahitian Princesses) and they don't have filter rooms out back so we should enjoy our aft balcony there very much. In the future we'll be very careful, though, when siting our aft balcony cabins.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
28 cruises down, next up: Carnival Victory May 17; Royal Princess July 7; Sapphire Princess September 12
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Aft Cabins

Here's a suggestion for folks concerned about those fragrant aft balconies. Unfortunately, we had the same room as Charlotte and Mike and suffered through it. You can look at deck plans and if you see large sections blocked off with no indicater (as to what they are) - most likely they are refuse processor areas. If you go up to higher or down to lower, it seems like you'd be OK.

Shar
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Beginner

See my post re Cabin C730 on Diamond
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
Familiar Face

Just returnd from the Pacific Princess Orient cruise and occupied room 690 aft. It was located between the two large suites. Our balcony was bigger than most "standard" balconies. Even though there were rooms above us, we had absolute privacy on our balcony. We had NO vibrations, no smells. It was the best room we have ever booked.

Slotl
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

Irvine, I didn't catch your post on cabin C730 and it's not on this thread. Could you please replay and past in the link to your post?

Slotl, The Pacific Princess is a whole different ballgame. It does not have filter rooms between the aft cabins; the aft cabins are between suites and that's it. No smell. We had your cabin on the Pacific's sister, The Tahitian Princess, and are booked for the same cabin next summer on the (new Royal) which is another sister. All three of those ships were previously owned by Renissance Cruise Line before they went bankrupt.

The ships that we're talking about are Grand Class Ships. The Diamond and Emerald Princesses have the odor on Dolphin Deck. Additionally, I've heard from a woman who just returned from a week on the Coral Princess (a different class of ship) and her aft Dolfin cabin also had the smell.

Just so you know, a "class" of ship means that those in a particular class have the same general size and configuration, although there are interior decorating and other minor differences between the individual ships.

Mike & Charlotte
28 cruises down, next up: Carnival Victory May 17; Royal Princess July 7; Sapphire Princess September 12
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Beginner

We had C735 on the Diamond. They upgraded us. We've been on 16 cruises and we LOVED this cabin. It was so quiet -- no people or kids coming and going up and down the hallways at all hours. The balcony was half covered which was very nice. It also is a straight shot up to the Horizon Court for early coffee and a bowl of cereal to take back to your room if you didn't order room service or for late night goodies or coming back from the disco. It was much more convenient for us. We're sailing in November on the Diamond again but this time at the front of the ship. Had no choice. We're going with a group and wanted to be together. Hoping that is a quiet as the aft.
Happy sailing.
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Familiar Face

All I can say is that we tremendously enjoyed our aft balconies on the Emerald Deck, but there's a big problem with Dolfin Deck afts immediately adjacent to the filter room. Don't understand it; they told us that they know what the problem is, and that it would take their engineer and a repairman about a week of it's being empty to make the repairs. However, they said, the Sales Department keeps booking D-741 so no repairs are being made.

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Passenger

We have been in the aft on the Caribbean Princess on the Caribe deck twice with a BB cabin, Sapphire Princess- suite and BB cabin- again on the Caribe deck. And booked on the Crown Princess- again in a suite and a BB cabin.

We all love it back there- you can see both sides of what you are passing by. We have had no vibration nosies at all. It is very quiet back there also.
If you go aft- make sure you are on the Baja or Caribe deck. Then you don't have the pool right above you.

Always make sure what is above and below you when you book. You sure don't want the pool noise all night long.

Hope this helps you out.
Jan

Caribbean Princess Christmas Cruise 12/07
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Default aft cabin

Hi,

I was on the Crown in July and had c748. To be honest with you, I would never book an AFT again. To one side of us was a vent blowing air all the time. Either it was for the air conditioner or for the garbage for the ship.
You could not sit on the balcony as the draft and noise from this was too much . Unfortunately, we paid quite a bit for the suite and never enjoyed the balcony for this reason.