Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Default Star Princess info.

Here's something some people might be interested in reading about the Star Princess fire:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...20Bulletin.pdf

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Fern,

Here's something some people might be interested in reading about the Star Princess fire:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...20Bulletin.pdf

Great find, and thank you for posting the link! This interim report gives a very clear picture of what happened, but it also shows the swift manner in which the cognizant authorities and a trade association are addressing the matter.

The remaining quotes, set in italics, are from the analysis section of the interim report.

Following the accident, it has been determined by practical tests that the materials at the seat of the fire were readily ignitable, and that the polycarbonate balcony divisions generated intense heat and copious amounts of dense black smoke as they burned (Figure 4).

It was obvious that something highly flammable was involved, but I'm stunned that a cruise line that's as conscientious about safety as Princess would accept a ship with such materials, even "just" as external partititions. One obvious corrective action is to replace all of the balcony partitions abboard MV Star Princess now, while she is in the yard for the other repairs. Replacement of partitions on other vessels should happen as expeditiously as possible, whcih may be during cruises or during the next yard visit.

SOLAS regulations, as included in Chapter II-2 [/i]Construction-Fire protection, fire detection and fire extinction[/i], do not, currently, prescribe the combustibility of materials used on external balcony areas, as these are not included within the vessel’s fire zones.[/i] (emphasis in oritinal)

I'm surprised, in light of the general requirements for fire retardent construction. An amendment requiring correction on next yard visit should be an immediate priority.

Similarly, balcony areas on cruise ships are not required to have fixed fire detection or suppression systems, as would be the case in internal areas.

Yes, and the fact that MV Star Princess did not have such systems was pretty obvious from the manner in which the fire spread. Again, the amendment of the regulations should require installation on next yard visit. (emphasis in original)

Additionally, balcony areas are frequently difficult to monitor due to their inaccessibility. This accident clearly demonstrates the risk of a serious fire starting and quickly spreading in areas not covered by regulation.

For sure.

Anybody care to guess what scenario the U. S. Coast Guard will be using for drill scenarios during the next round of SOLAS inspections?

Norm.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Thanks Norm,

I was also interested in this part:

Quote:
c. Advise passengers and crew not to leave towels and personal
belongings on balconies when they are not in their rooms.
d. Instruct housekeeping staff to place personal articles left on balconies
by room occupants back in the room during their last visit of the day to
the guest room, and to observe balconies during other visits to the
room.
e. Re-emphasize fire safety in communications to passengers, including
the distribution of appropriate informational pamphlets.
f. Re-emphasize to passengers the need not to throw any items over a
ship’s side from balconies or other external areas...
g. Re-emphasize to passengers the hazards of not properly extinguishing
smoking materials where smoking is authorized, and never to leave
smoking materials unattended.
h. Re-emphasize to crew and passengers the hazards of using
unauthorized heating elements such as electrical heating coils used in
cups or mugs and open flames such as candles.
These things should have been done long ago! The only thing I would add is to tell the crew not to leave things on the balcony. I read a post where someone found a can of paint on their balcony! You just want to say DUH..., but sometimes people have to be told everything! Just look at all the stickers on ladders !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeoman

Default Star Princess info

Thanks for this link; candles should not be allowed on any cruise ship. I didn't realize the partitions were that highly combustible.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Betty,

Thanks for this link; candles should not be allowed on any cruise ship. I didn't realize the partitions were that highly combustible.

Don't worry. The replacements won't be that highly combustible, and MV [i]Star Princess[/u] probably is getting them now and the rest of the fleet will get them as soon as parcticable.

Norm.
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Passenger

As reported by Cruise News Daily:
Quote:
Princess told CND today that in addition the repair work from the fire, Lloyd also installed a drencher and fire detection system on the ship's balconies as part of the fire safety measures they said earlier they were implementing. The plastic furniture on the balconies has also been replaced with metal, and many of the balcony dividers have also been replaced with noncombustible ones. (The rest will be replaced shortly.)
The same upgrades are now being scheduled for the rest of the ships in the fleet, and those will be completed during the next six months while the ships are in service.

Grand Princess - June 2006
Sea Princess – April 2000
Grand Princess – May 1999
HAL Maasdam – October 1998
Celebrity Mercury – April 1998
RCCL Song of America – March 1997
Carnival Sensation – March 1996
RCCL Monarch of the Seas – May 1994
NCL Seaward – April 1993
NCL Westward – April 1992
NCL Norway – May 1990
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeoman

Default Star princess info

There should not be any wooden furniture on balconies. We have had this on both Carnival and Princess and also the easy to maintain plastic furniture. Other ships have had steel chairs with mesh on the backing and seats. All ships should have a solution for balcony furniture, but what?

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Betty,

There should not be any wooden furniture on balconies.

Wooden furniture actually is not much of a problem because it has a fairly high ignition temperature. The same is true of wooden trim or caps on balcony rails. The big problem with plastic furnishings, dividers, etc., is that it often has a very low temperature of ignition.

Norm.
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Wow I had not heard about this fire on board the Star Princess. We are contemplating booking that very ship for next January. I assume all repairs have been completed and that they have done something about the balconies?

Is this why I can get a 320 sq. ft. room on the Star for the price of a 200 sq.ft. room aboard other cruise lines?