Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

Default Liquor

I am about to go on an Alaska cruise.

I was told by other people that took this cruise several years ago that each person is allowed to bring a small bottle of liquor or a bottle of wine with them onto to ship, so long as it is only consumed in the cabin.

Have I heard right?
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Hi tedesky,

From the Princess website:

Quote:
Alcohol purchased at any port of call, including the port of embarkation, may not be consumed onboard. It will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise, prior to your disembarkation. You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $10 corkage fee.
Quote:
Question: What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?
Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.
These are the "official" rules. I've heard that people have brought a bottle of liquor in their checked luggage without any problems. I believe you can also buy a bottle through Room Service.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Never had a problem with booze in my luggage on Princess.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Passenger

You can call Princess (1-800-PRINCESS) and order a liter of your favorite liquor for your spouse or other person with you as a bon voyage gift. The cost is charged to a credit card not to your shipboard account. It will be available in your cabin when you board. Usually you have to call room service and it will delivered in minutes (don't forget the tip). While on board, you can order a liter from room service for consumption in your cabin. Vodka is about $20 and I think most others about the same. Princess still seems to feel that most adults are responsible and offers this amentity to us old folks. Enjoy your cruise. We will be on the Island Princess sailing JUne 19, our fifth Alaka cruise, #21 cruise with Princess, #32 overall.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

exactly - you can purchase liquor as a bon voyage gift to yourself, you can order liquor from the in cabin menu, and you can bring aboard a couple of bottles of wine or champagne. No need to smuggle it aboard in your checked luggage.
FYI - the cost of a basic, good quality bar drink on the ship is about the same as you would pay back home at a nice restaurant. The frou-frou drinks cost more, buy those when they are the drink of the day specials, you can also get a bucket of beer at the poolside bar.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Read on Cruise Critic this week that you can no longer buy the litres for in your room. Just the little bottles that come with the soda package.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
Read on Cruise Critic this week that you can no longer buy the litres for in your room. Just the little bottles that come with the soda package.
That sucks.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Just got off the phone with Princess. Since we will be going to Alaska soon, I thought I would see if I could order a liter of Vodka for the cabin as a bon voyage gift. The rep told me that Princess no longer offers a liter of liquor, only the drink packages, 375ml bottle (1pint) with mix. That seems ok if you want to have something there when you arrive. She did inform me that you can still order one liter bottles of most liquors from room service once you are on board for consumption in your cabin.
In the past I have ordered pre cruise liquor with Holland America by calling their office in Seattle, but I'm not sure if you can still do this. We are Elite status with Princess now so I think HAL may be in the past.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Princess must have recently changed their rules; all Princess cruises I have been on allowed room svc to deliver 1 litre of (Vodka - our choice) alcohol to our cabin. We ordered a pitcher of iced tea also and mixed it with the Vodka. Things are getting tighter drink-wise. I suppose the incidents of "drunk & disorderly" guests has ruined it for those of us who have more sense and class! If you pack a bottle of booze in your checked baggage, wrapped in a robe (or whatever) make sure it's a bottle made of plastic with a plastic cap only - and put it in a large zip-loc bag to prevent leakage. I would be surprised if it would be detected in all the thousands of baggage that gets screened. mainly I think they screen for metal objects and any type of stuff that could be problematic safety-wise. let's face it - if someone wants to get knock down drunk, they can do it at any of the bars on the ship, regardless of the cost! I guess its ok to act like a drunken fool as long as the cruise line profits from the sale!!! Oops - did I say that?????????????? My bad!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Beachbummom,
Look at my post. I said that Princess still allows you to order one liter bottles of most liquors from room service for consumption in your cabin. You can still get your ice tea and vodka.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

CRZYCRZR -
I read your post too quickly--------I see now that you could not get it as a bon voyage gift, but could have 1 litre in room, etc. Nice to see they have in fact continued that tradition. Unfortunately Carnival won't do it so we are left to our own devices! We are a family of 7 adults, adjoining balcony cabins on the Legend June 5th. Personally I don't care for more than 1 cocktail at dinner time, but the rest of my crew will try to skirt the system......thanks for the heads-up on Princess.! (someone suggested filling a large Listerine bottle - the new flat shape-with other potables and packing in checked luggage - is it worth the hassle?)

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Beachbummom,
The 7 of you can order 375ml bon voyage bottles for each other and get your neighbors to do the same, and when you get to the ship you can take a bath in the booze, until you can call room service. That way you don't have to pack it in your checked bags. At least Princess still recognizes most responsible adults. Enjoy cruising and thank you Princess if you are looking.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

another option is to deal with an independant company like Well Wishers to send yourself(or anyone going with you) a Bon Voyage gift of liquor.