Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Default Any opinions on a minisuite/ Dolphin deck on Saphire/ Alaska

We're booking for next June....
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Welcome!
Me & hubby took Sun Princess in Alaska; had mini-suite on Caribe (one below Dolphin I think). I definitely recommend that category, especially Alaska in June. You will see the most fascinating sights from your balcony, and the mini-suites are spacious and comfortable. Since you will be there in June, you will experience "summer" weather and approx. 23 hrs. of daylight! The drapes are heavy and rubber lined to keep the cabin dark for sleep time. In mini-suites the closets are larger as are the bathroom facilities (includes tub and shower - regular balcony cabins have shower only and are smaller). You will have a "living room" area with mini-suites so you can relax without using your bed as a "chair" when in your room. Usually sofa and 2 arm chairs and coffee table and 2 TV's, bar & refrigerator; ours had walk in closets for each of us - a big plus! You will need to pack clothes that can be "layered". ie; fleeces or sweatshirts, light jacket (nylon) for rain (it always rains for short spurts at any time - you are traveling through mountains, valleys and glacier areas). Good walking shoes for shore trips and bathing suit for on board - if its too cool, they will roll the roof over the pool area and keep it warm enough to swim! Any other questions, I would be happy to help. Donna

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Wow! THanks for the info! I wish we were leaving tomorrow!
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Just wanted to clarify the comments from above ... on the Sun and Sea Princess, the mini-suites are the same as the suites on the Diamond/Sapphire, so they are not as spacious as Beach described.

Here is a link to the photos of our mini-suite on Diamond (the Sapphire's sister). Yours will be the exact same layout.

http://cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2123

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Admiral

We had a Caribe cabin on the Sapphire. They are half covered and half opened, looking down to the totally opened Dolphin balconies. Not sure if you will experience any rain but if you are on the Dolphin deck you will get wet. If I was getting a minisuite, I would choose the Caribe or the totally private Emerald decks. JMHO.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Familiar Face

Just a thought about this trip and the use of the heavy drapes. We went last June and one of the things I enjoyed was watching the scenery go by in the early morning before I got out of bed. (My husband opened them as he got up early to go get his morning coffee) Unless you are late sleepers, you might enjoy the scenery in the morning.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hary:
I was not exaggerating.............
On the Sun Princess Alaska cruise we had Mini Suite# C-744 on Caribe. it is exactly as I described it - Category AB. Go to the Princess website and check out the mini suite...It is the last cabin aft left side of ship and check out the room diagram or virtual view.....we did not have category AA which might be smaller on other Princess ships than on the Sun. The cabin was over 400 S/F + Balcony area. We had His & Hers walk-in closets, 2 tv's, and...the marble bathrooms are divided - tub/shower/whirlpool/sinks etc in one room and commode/sink in an adjoining area seperated from the tub area by a locking louvre door. I have not seen the other ships you mentioned, but we have photos of the cabin we had and pictures of us sitting in the living rm area. Check my information on Princess' site.....thank you.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Admiral

mini-suites are the way to go! we had a mini-suite, Dolphin deck on the Golden Princess. Love the extra floor space, more closet/storage space, bigger bathroom with tub not just a shower, mini-fridge, sofa bed, 2 barrel chairs & cocktail table, 2 TV's, nice sized balcony with 2 recliners and a small table. We liked having the totally open balcony.