Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Beginner

Default Princess - Good or Bad!

I used to work for Princess Cruise Line. I quit after a a year. Two contracts, and I had had enough.

I have never heard and seen more racial discrimination, then when I was onboard the princess cruise ships. Most or their employee's are from the Philippines, and they way I saw the senior officers treat and talk down to the "minorities" was enough to make anyone sick.

I actually tried to stand up for a guy from Indonesia, when he was was being laughed at and made fun of for not speaking the english language very well. I actually got written up by the officer who was making fun of him.

I have seen the captain of a ship I was on, picking up passengers. The weird thing was that his wife was just onboard the the cruise prior.

Those weren't the only things that made me change my mind about working for princess. Another time I got written up by my supervisor, for wearing a grey shirt under my polo shirt. There is more to the story. My supervisor, two days prior, was in the crew bar, and was hitting on me. Now when I say hitting on me, I mean shewas trying to kiss me. She was grabbing my butt. I told her that I was not interested, as I had a girlfriend back home (as I was only on that ship for a two months while I was saving money to buy an engagement ring)

When i saw her the next day, she was super nice, and I even apologized if she didn't know that I had a girlfriend. I said I held no grudges, I just wanted to keep working and didn't want it to come between us. she said it was all good, and smiled. So the next day I came to work with a grey shirt on under my work polo shirt, as I had seen alot of staff wear. She went to her office, and phoned me, and asked me to see her in her office. So I went, and she had written me up for wearing a grey shirt under my polo shirt. She looked me square in the eye, and said " nobody turn's me down."

There is such a higharchey, that I refused to work there again. She had tried to have me fired, for such dumb things. like wearing my long pants instead of shorts during the day, as it is cold in the teen centre with the air conditioning. I tried to contest it, with the cruise director, and he said he had to "trust" his supervisors.

Princess is such a bad cruise line to work for. I've seen more corruption, and mis-use of one's authority, then I can shake a stick. I won't even get into the drug smuggling, and the sex games that the crew have going. And these are things that go as far up as some of the cruise directors.

I guess I'm taking the time to say this, because I think that you as the people who support certain cruise lines should know what it is that you are supporting. I guess this is something else that you might not know, but those great cabin stewards, that work so hard, and are mostly from the philippines, their monthly wage is $50.00/month. They purely make money off of tips. Yet, they get put through some of the most racist crap I have ever seen.

I have switched over to Holland America. I start on June 17th. I'm only doing it for this summer, as I am getting married in the fall, and have to save money for my honeymoon (Not on a ship!). I am hoping that it will be different. I have alot of firends that have switched from Princess, over to Holland America.

Happy cruising. (just so you know, I worked in the teen Centre).
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default ??? Disgruntled Ex-Employee ???

I'm sorry to see that a person claiming to be a former employee of Princess is allowed to post trash talk like this on this website.
Strange that, as a repeat passenger, I see smiling crew and staff faces all over the ships.
Even the blog currently available online by a former Princess, and now P&O, crewmember does not speak of Princess in such negative terms.
SORRY, but I choose not to buy into your trash talk. I have no doubt that there are some problems between crew, staff and supervisors. NO workplace is perfect. Maybe salaries are not what they might be. But for those from poverty stricken countries with poor education, this is an opportunity.
Those who love to sail Princess are very unlikely to believe you. We know firsthand what great ships they are, how great the service is, and in talking with crew members and other staff, that they are mostly happy with their jobs and with Princess. I have talked with staff who have been with Princess for 10 and 15 years. Why would anyone stay if it truly were as bad as you claim?
I think, if you actually did work for Princess, you probably got fired because your work was not up to Princess' high standards, and you are out to bash Princess and try to influence Princess cruisers.
UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN!
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Default Re: ??? Disgruntled Ex-Employee ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamomo
I'm sorry to see that a person claiming to be a former employee of Princess is allowed to post trash talk like this on this website.
Strange that, as a repeat passenger, I see smiling crew and staff faces all over the ships.
Even the blog currently available online by a former Princess, and now P&O, crewmember does not speak of Princess in such negative terms.
SORRY, but I choose not to buy into your trash talk. I have no doubt that there are some problems between crew, staff and supervisors. NO workplace is perfect. Maybe salaries are not what they might be. But for those from poverty stricken countries with poor education, this is an opportunity.
Those who love to sail Princess are very unlikely to believe you. We know firsthand what great ships they are, how great the service is, and in talking with crew members and other staff, that they are mostly happy with their jobs and with Princess. I have talked with staff who have been with Princess for 10 and 15 years. Why would anyone stay if it truly were as bad as you claim?
I think, if you actually did work for Princess, you probably got fired because your work was not up to Princess' high standards, and you are out to bash Princess and try to influence Princess cruisers.
UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN!

It's kinda funny that some people don't want to hear the truth about the things they support.

Well, then here's a question to all; Has anyone been on a princess ship, where you have really noticed that the staff were not as friendly, or didn't seem as happy as flamomo says?

You have obviously been on more Princess ships then I have been on. I have only been on two. The Grand Princess & The Caribbean Princess.

But what goes on in the crew area's are completely different then what goes on in the guest area's. Have you ever been in the crew area's?

Heck, Next time you are up in Skywalkers club, count how many staff are up there. You can tell them by their name tags. Most of them won't be in their uniforms, they'll just be wearing their name tags. And when you see them, see who they are hanging out with. I bet you some of the male staff will be chatting up some of the female passengers. See how many of the male staff leave with female passengers.

I'll let you in on a little secret. They have a little game going on that ship, just amoung the male staff. It's called "Oceans Eleven" It's kinda like the "Mile High" club, except, this one, is on the ocean. And its the first one to sleep with eleven female passengers in a 7 day cruise. I know of at least two who have gotten all the way to eleven.

You might be saying to your self, how is that possible? That would mean they would have to sleep with two passengers in one day. Thats exactly what I'm telling you!

Heck, you don't have to take my word for it. I know you don't want to believe that something so good, could be so corrupt. I bet you don't even believe that there could be bad police on your cities police department. "No, not the police, they are here to protect us" lol.

flamomo, believe what you want. I've been there I know the truth. I just thought some people would like to know as well.

Have fun on your next princess cruise, and keep those shades on tight!!!We wouldn't want you to see the truth, now would we!
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Captain

It's a shame "Cruisemates" doesn't have a "Cruise Gripes" forum. Maybe they could put it under the "Practical Advice" section?

Oh wait....they DO have it already! It just isn't used often enough.

Who me being sarcastic? ()= ;>)
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maddog
Please take your grudge against Princess home with you and leave it there.
This trash talk is unworthy of a great cruise website like Cruisemates
Leave the posting to paying cruisers who want to learn from other paying cruisers. WE share info that is helpful, not hurtful.

Booked cruises:
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Maybe you should give up working on a ship and work out here in the real world where everything is perfect---- no racism, no discrimination, no real responsibilities with your job, etc. etc. etc.
On the other hand, methinks you just might have a problem out here too.

Good luck on HAL and we will be looking forward to your parting shot at them too.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Beginner

Flamomo:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you should not "trash talk". You would think you own the cruise line or something.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry locruiser

As you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I happen to find cruiseline bashing by someone who claims to be an ex-employee in very poor taste, and not worthy of this website.
As I stated to maddog, this website is for paying PAX who are willing to share HELPFUL information with other potential and actual paying PAX.

Booked cruises: