CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   DEBIT CARDS?????? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/314137-debit-cards.html)

Bandrews May 16th, 2006 07:47 PM

DEBIT CARDS??????

We have friends going with us that want to use their debit cards. Are they allowed? They will be sailing with us on the Diamond Sept.

BAndrews

Rev22:17 May 16th, 2006 07:56 PM

Bandrews,

We have friends going with us that want to use their debit cards. Are they allowed? They will be sailing with us on the Diamond Sept.

AFAIK, it's the same as cash.

That said, your friend should be aware that the debit card is a very bad idea in general. With a debit card, a fraudulent charge means that the money is gone from your account until the bank fixes the error and restores the cash. With a credit card, by contrast, the money does not actually leave your bank account until you pay the bill so fraudulent charges cannot wipe out your account.

Norm.

CA Cruiser May 16th, 2006 08:58 PM

Also with debt cards, depending on your daily $ limit, it could be a problem. We tried it once and when they put the tips, drinks, excursions, pictures, boutique purchases, we had gone over ours. We just switched to a credit card. When we got home we had our limit increased.

Bandrews May 17th, 2006 09:06 AM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR REPLYING. I WILL PASS THIS INFO ON. IT REALLY SEEMS TO ME THAT A CREDIT CARD WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO.
BAndrews

Irish Shark May 17th, 2006 12:11 PM

Under federal ATM debit card law, Regulation E, you may be held liable for unauthorized transactions in 3 tiers:

I) $50 IF YOU NOTIFY THE BANK WITHIN 2 DAYS OF FINDING OUT YOUR CARD IS LOST OR STOLEN;

II) UP TO $500 IF YOU NOTIFY YOUR BANK AFTER 2 DAYS OF LEARNING OF THE LOSS OR THEFT;

III) POTENTIALLY, UNLIMITED LIABILITY FOR ALL UNAUTHORIZED TRANSACTIONS THAT OCCUR AFTER 60 DAYS FROM WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR STATEMENT CONTAINING THE UNAUTHORIZED TRANSACTIONS IF YOU FAIL TO NOTIFY YOUR BANK WITHIN 60 DAYS OF RECEIVING YOUR BANK STATEMENT.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/atmcard.htm

Rev22:17 May 17th, 2006 12:28 PM

Irish Shark,

Under federal ATM debit card law, Regulation E, you may be held liable for unauthorized transactions in 3 tiers:...

Yes, there are limits on liability -- but those limits also have caveats.

>> 1. You have to prove to the bank's satisfaction that the transaction was fraudulent before the bank will correct it. In the case of a disupte between you and a merchant as to the amount of a legitimate transaction, this could take some time or even be impossible.

>> 2. Even if you do satisfy the bank that the transaction is fraudulent, the fact remains that your money is gone from your account until the bank makes the corection because the bank takes the cash out of your account when the transaction occurs.

On a credit card, by contrast, the money stays in your bank account until you write the check to pay the bill. If there's an improper charge, you still have the cash available while the bank is processing the correction.

Norm.

Irish Shark May 17th, 2006 12:40 PM

Not true ....

The law says .....

In 2001, the chief national bank regulator, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, which regulates all banks with national in their name, warned banks that the burden of proof in a reinvestigation is on the bank to show that a transaction was authorized (in other words, the bank isn't supposed to presume the consumer is guilty, but innoncent, when the consumer claims fraud). Excerpt:

...The OCC is concerned that some banks may be rejecting claims of unauthorized transactions solely because the customer's Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card or debit card and personal identification number (PIN) were used in the transaction, and the customer supplied no information indicating that the card or PIN was misappropriated. These facts alone may be insufficient to establish that a transaction was authorized because fraudulent means may have been used to obtain the customer's account number, card, or PIN. For instance, the customer may have been a victim of "shoulder surfing," a practice used by criminals to obtain account or card numbers or PINs by observing customer transactions. Therefore, banks cannot assume that they have satisfied their duty to investigate simply by concluding that the customer's debit card and PIN were used in the transaction at issue.... OCC, 7 Sept 2001

The institution is generally required to determine whether
an error occurred within 10 business days and report to
the consumer within 3 business days of completing the
investigation. If the institution cannot complete the
investigation within 10 business days, it may take up to
45 days to complete its investigation if it provisionally
credits the account within 10 business days. The
institution has 1 business day after determining that an
error occurred to correct the error. If the institution
finds that no error occurred, it must give the consumer
a written explanation of its findings.

Rev22:17 May 17th, 2006 01:13 PM

Irish Shark,

Not true ....

The law says .....

In 2001, the chief national bank regulator, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, which regulates all banks with national in their name, warned banks that the burden of proof in a reinvestigation is on the bank to show that a transaction was authorized (in other words, the bank isn't supposed to presume the consumer is guilty, but innoncent, when the consumer claims fraud).

I did not say that the bank would not accept your word that a transaction was fraudulent as sufficient evidence in most cases. Nonetheless, the merchant who processed the transaction also has a right to due process -- hence the allowance of ten days to conduct an investigtion. Note that the bank may well ask you for further proof or find a transaction to be legitimate if the merchant furnishes supporting documentation with your digitized signature cut and pasted from a legitimate transaction, for example.

The institution is generally required to determine whether
an error occurred within 10 business days and report to
the consumer within 3 business days of completing the
investigation.

That provision allows up to thirteen business days before the bank mails its decision, during which the money is not in your account. Also, note that this does not count the time from the actual fraudulent charge until you got your bill and reported it, which could be well over a month, when your account also was short.

Norm.

Bandrews May 18th, 2006 09:41 AM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATIVE REPLYS. I WILL PASS THIS INFO ALONG SO THEY CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION.

IF IT WERE ME, I THINK I WOULD BRING ALONG MY CREDIT CARD AS WELL.

THANKS AGAIN.
BAndrews

Cassandra May 18th, 2006 11:32 AM

On top of that, whether they use debit card or credit (better protection on your credit card), CALL your bank or credit card company & alert them that you are going on a cruise & what islands. This way they don't decline your card.

Many card companies (debit or credit) with all the fraud going on are declining cards left & right when they see "suspicious" activity.

I belong to Capital One. When I went on my cruise, I told them what islands I was going to be on during the time period. They emailed me back within hours & thanked me & marked that on my account.

It's just a piece of mind & a smart thing to do. After all, its your card & therefore your responsibility. :D

garden4cook May 18th, 2006 01:00 PM

I am going to Alaska in June 06 and using my debit card since i have no credit card. I have done my research on the subject:

Know your daily limit, and if you dont think it is high enough for your trip - call your bank and ask for a higher limit. My daily limit on my debit card is $1,400.00 in any 24 hour limit and the bank says the clock rolls over at midnight.

Inform your bank where you are going and alert them there may be purchases outside your normal travel area. I called my bank yesturday and spoke with them...they told me they were more suspicious about large purchases out of the country.

Just a good thing to do is call your bank and tell them your plans and they can tell you their policies, etc.

LisaK May 18th, 2006 01:25 PM

another point to ponder, some cruiselines will hold a specific amount against your debit card, which can mess up your daily limit, resulting in your card being declined.

Irish Shark May 18th, 2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
another point to ponder, some cruiselines will hold a specific amount against your debit card, which can mess up your daily limit, resulting in your card being declined.

The same with CC. The line will block $X against your CC line of credit.

garden4cook May 18th, 2006 02:56 PM

It is wise to always check with your bank/credit card company before traveling to find out your daily limit. Some people think that with a CC that you have no daily limit - however, you do...it is determined by your average normal spending habits (I found this out the hard way). Therefore when you travel, you may be making larger purchases for whatever. It is always best to call the bank prior to leaving home to help prevent unexpected "mishaps".

For me, a debit card will be fine, as my cruise is paid for and i am traveling with my BF and we are each responsible for our own charges. I plan no large purchases and will use my card for one excursion, meals and souveniers.