Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Default First Timers

Good Morning everyone,
I just went out and booked a cruise to Alaska!! We've never been on a cruise before - I was verrrry seasick on a fishing trip in Cancun - what have I done???
We are an older couple - been to Cancun and Hawaii many years ago - we mostly take auto trips around the states.
We are leaving on July 16 from Seattle, so when I do something....I do it pretty quickly.
Any suggestions or tips would be so very helpful and maybe put my worries to rest.
Thank you all in advance for all the help you will provide.
Gail Mann
TN
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Gail:

First of all: Congratulations.

Second: In regards to being seasick, I don't think you have too much to worry about. The larger ships are very stable and if you don't get motion sickness from driving in a car for long periods you should do fine. There are over the counter medications such as Bonine (Meclizine) or Dramamine that work as a preventative or you can see your doctor about a Scopolomine patch. The Inside Passage of Alaska is usually very smooth.

When it comes to cruising and especially Alaska you are in for a real treat. The beauty of Alaska and the Inside Passage is second to none. Even though you have traveled the U.S. and seen your share of mountains nothing compares to seeing a 10,000 ft. mountain rising from sea level. Usually you see them when you are already at 5,000 ft. The other scenery is equally spectacular. From the glaciers to the wildlife. You won't regret it.

Cruising is great from the standpoint that you are taking your four star hotel with you. You unpack once and don't have to pack again until you leave. Almost everything is included except your alcohol, soda, spa, shore excursions and gambling. There are no restaurant bills to have to worry about and what you spend on shore is up to you. I will warn you that shore excursions in Alaska can be a bit pricey so plan what you want to do before you get onboard. You can see things inexpensively but if you want to do a helicopter tour of the glacier that will run you about $200 pp. but it's more than worth it. Walking on top of a glacier is something you will never forget.

So, congratulations on booking your first cruise. Keep asking questions. Our Alaska forum also has some knowledgeable people who can answer specific questions on what to do in Alaska as well as this forum.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Passenger

I would like to second those congratulations. You are going to enjoy your cruise.
Mike M. gave you some good advice. You indicated that you were an older couple. Make sure you check with your physician if either of you have glaucoma or if the hubby has any prostrate problems. All three of the suggestions ablove have what they call anticholinergic side effects. Basically, they can dry things up. This can be a real problem with the prostrate and with glaucoma depending on whether it is narrow or open angle.
If I might suggest the use of Ginger capsules. Go to a local health food store. Use the recommended dosage and the real key is to start taking 3-5 days before the cruise. Remember when you were sick to your stomach and they gave you ginger ale or giner snap cookies. Same thing. The problem with most remedies is that people wait until they are already sick then start the meds etc. By then it is usually too little, too late. It is easier to prevent than to "cure".
Additionally, some individuals experience drowsiness, dry mouth and blurred vision with Meclizine, dramamine and scopolamine. Usually, this is not dramatic but certainly be annoying. Note that I said some not all, but why run the risk if Ginger can work for you.
Cetainly enjoy and as Mike M. so skillfully informed you, this ships are very stable platforms and you will not experience the same sort of movement that you experienced on a small fishing boat.
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Gail,

We are leaving on July 16 from Seattle, so when I do something....I do it pretty quickly.
Any suggestions or tips would be so very helpful and maybe put my worries to rest.

That sounds like a great trip. Which ship did you choose?

Norm.
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Default First Timers

Hi Norm,
We are sailing on the Sun Princess on the 16th of July. That's what I was asking......we didn't pick the ship, the travel agent did. I was wondering why it was that one. Availability? Time line?
And I wasn't seeing many posts concerning that ship. Kinda had me wondering if it was an "old beat up one!"
Thanks for the help.
Gail
TN
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default To cruise or not to cruise that is the question

Everyone I have spoke to says an Alaska cruise is spectacular. Do you realize the ships book up a year in advance?

I just love to cruise. My first cruise you can say I was out of my mind. I knew we were sailing into a tropical disturbance and I went anyhow. If you are wondering - Yes, I was sea sick for two days. I did not take any motion sickness pills because I felt fine when the ship sailed. Can you tell I didn't know what I was doing? This was years ago. Today I am prepared.

A friend sailing with me last week used the patch. She said it worked fine. I used Bonine. Today, I never leave land without first taking my motion sickness pill. Being sea sick once is more than enough.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Gail - you will love the Sun Princess. We sailed on her sister the Sea Princess. These are a great class of ships. They are big but not huge,easy to get around, they have a small ship, intimate feeling about them. The decor is classy and understated, like a fine resort hotel.
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Beginner

Dont panic,

You wil enjoy the cruise, it may well take you a few days to get your sea legs but after that you will be ok. Dont feel that you must take a suitcase of formal clothes, you will get away with smart casual. But if you are going for 7 days there will be 2 formal nights on board where you will ge the opportunity to have some photos taken together. Even if the ship is fully pccupied there is always loads of room. My partner and I have been on 4 cruises now and there is no going back to package holidays. The best bit is you dont need to take towels or hair dryers as they are provided and you can also get your phots developed on the ship.

If you have any questions please feel free to come back to us.

Trish and Wayne 33 and 37
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Default first timers

I just took my first cruise and it was on the Crown Princess (7/22-7/29). Even though it was for seven days, it was glorious!!!! I didn't get seasick and I really enjoyed the service and meeting new people on this cruise.

Bermuda is now one of my favorite islands! I loved the formal nights! Especially the midnight champagne waterfall! I had a wonderful experience and will definately sail with princess again!
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Passenger

My wife and I were on the Sun Princess in June and loved it. This was our first cruise. We had such a great time we booked the Coral Princess for next June.

My wife did get a little under the weather the first day, but was fine after that… she gets car sick if she reads while I’m driving…

The info Mike supplied it right on…

You’ll have a great time!!!!
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to xxeloxx

Don't Panic!

On a cruise you rarely ever feel the boat even moving!

Don't worry
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Default Here are some alternatives

If ever you do feel seasick, and you don't want to take medications, you could use some of these tips:
  • Lying down might help you feel better temporarily but it does not help you adapt to the motion of the ship. So, try to keep moving around. The more you move around, the sooner you become accustomed to the motion of the ship.
  • Avoid doing anything that requires close visual focus, such as reading. They make symptoms worse.
  • If you are near a window try to keep your focus on the horizon.
  • You might feel nauseated but when that passes try not to remain hungry. It doesn't help. Eat ginger snaps, saltine crackers, or toast and drink ginger tea or ginger ale.
  • Ginger tablets or capsules also help and so do ginger candies.
  • And yes, those acupressure wrist bands do work. You can try getting them at a nautical store, a naturopathic health store, or a pharmacy.