Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Default A couple of Caribbean Princess questions

My husband and I are sailing on the CB in August and I've been obsessing about every detail since booking the cruise a few weeks ago! I think I've ferreted out most details, but haven't seen an answer to a couple of nitpicky questions I have and hoped someone here could help. First, does anyone have an opinion on which formal night tends to be more formal? I have one long dress and one that is more of a cocktail dress. I kind of want to save the long dress for the last formal night - champagne waterfall, etc., but wondered if people tended to dress more formally on the first night. Any opinions? (I know, really important stuff - but I'm obsessed with little details at this point! )

Also, we have a friend who's thinking about sailing with us, but who has to have very frequent access to internet for her job. I know about the per minute charge and the per half hour wifi charge, but I thought I read somewhere that you can buy an unlimited access card for a pretty high price if you need to. Did I dream that?

Thanks so much for your help -
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hi Mseldga!

We were just on the Caribbean Princess on May 13-20! It is a magnificent Ship...you're gonna love it...it is so beautiful!

I did not notice one formal night being more formal than the other...the first one is Sunday and the second one is Thursday. Seems to me that most everyone dressed up for both nights...I think you'll be fine on what you want to wear.

The Internet...it is a little pricey...what kind of room are you staying in? My friend, that was in a Suite had unlimited access to the Internet. I think if you call Princess, they would be able to answer the question about the price...sorry I don't know the answer to that one!

We loved our Cruise and I'm sure you'll love yours too!

Caribbean Princess at Princess Cays, Bahamas

Are you doing the Eastern or Western Itinerary?

Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Beginner

Thanks Merry! I figured that was the case. I'll just wear whatever feels better on each night - probably should save the more loosely fitting dress for the end of the cruise. Thanks for the tip about the suite too. That may be what I remember reading and I'll be sure to pass that on to my friend.

We're doing the western caribbean. I'm so glad to hear you loved the ship. It certainly looks beautiful! I've never sailed on Princess before, just RCCL and NCL years ago. My husband has never cruised at all - except a weekend trip on the long-gone Dolphin cruise line. He's not nearly as much of a beach/ocean lover as I am and I'm really hopeful that this trip will get him hooked on cruising. There were a few things I worried about that I'd experienced on previous cruises - the loud, crowded pool scene, the constant announcements over the PA, and the constant pressure to partake in some game or auction. I'm excited about Princess because I've heard they have fewer announcements and less pressure to join in the activities. My husband would hate that! I'm also looking forward to a few things I've never experienced on a cruise before - fresh water pools, adult only pools, movies under the stars, a balcony room, and of course going with my husband.

Only 70 days now - I can't wait! Thanks again for the response.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Yep, you and your husband will love the CP! You'll find that you won't have any announcements piped into the cabin, except in an emergency, and very few that you'll hear coming from the hallway. (Bingo being the exception!) Please check out at you earliest convenience, the Adult Only pool in the aft of the Aloha Deck. It's really a great place to go and relax, with an area where you can just unwind and watch the wake of the ship. (Also the buffet is only a few steps away)
There is no doubt that your husband will get "hooked on cruzin" just like all the rest of us here are.
Have a great time aboard the beautiful Caribbean Princess!
Ken
Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Adult Pool...Aft

My DH and I loved the Adult pool area...we always went out there at night...the breeze is so wonderful and loved the view...especially when the Moon was full! We never felt pressure at all on this Cruise..it was our first one too! They do the games at the pool that's by Movies Under The Stars! And even that is volunteer only. Your hubby will love the relaxation.

Ken is right about the buffet being close to the Adult pool in the Aft of the Ship...one night after we had been on one of the Islands, we just wanted to relax and so we sat out there watching the Island disappear..then DH went up to the buffet and got us a whole plate of Shrimp on the Bar-B! Is that how you say it...or shish-ka-bobs! All kinds of seafood...yummy...we sat right by the pool and ate to our hearts content. It's about the first vacation we have taken, that we actually relaxed!

Make sure you go to the Cooking Show and take a tour of the Galley...it is so interesting and amazing how much food they prepare in one day...we really enjoyed that!

And our favorite entertainer, Bert Stratton...he is an amazing musician and the man can sing any song and play any song on the piano...and he's sooooo funny...he sang a special song for our 30th Wedding Anniversary!

Now you've got me started...I think about it every day and remember so many wonderful things! You will love it! The food was great as was the service!

Can't wait to hear about your Cruise!
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Admiral

people get dressed to the nines on both formal nights, but it seems that the first formal night is the dressier of the two. I wear my gown on the first formal, and my dressy cocktail dress or suit on the second formal night. I get my hair done for the first formal night.
Don't miss the Midnight Champagne Waterfall and party- it is great! Everyone is in a very festive mood, you can dance and party with some of the crew if they have the night off.
The ships Island Night Deck Party is a blast! - don't miss out on this either.
If you have never experienced afternoon High Tea - do it.
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I are sailing on the CB in August and I've been obsessing about every detail since booking the cruise a few weeks ago! I think I've ferreted out most details, but haven't seen an answer to a couple of nitpicky questions I have and hoped someone here could help. First, does anyone have an opinion on which formal night tends to be more formal? I have one long dress and one that is more of a cocktail dress. I kind of want to save the long dress for the last formal night - champagne waterfall, etc., but wondered if people tended to dress more formally on the first night. Any opinions? (I know, really important stuff - but I'm obsessed with little details at this point! )

Also, we have a friend who's thinking about sailing with us, but who has to have very frequent access to internet for her job. I know about the per minute charge and the per half hour wifi charge, but I thought I read somewhere that you can buy an unlimited access card for a pretty high price if you need to. Did I dream that?

Answers:
The first night is casual because everyone is still receiving their luggage.
I just came off the Caribbean Princess last Saturday. Let's see if I can answer your questions.

You can get internet access for a fee. The internet is slow because it is dial up. It is expensive in my opinion. My dd checked her emails.

There are two formal nights. If I remember correctly it was the second night and the last night. One evening dress will do (unless you are messy like me). Two would be perfect. A little black dress with pearls or diamonds (no ones knows if you have on costume jewlery) would do. There is also the Captain's Cocktail hour. Most people dress up for that too. Then the other nights you can wear dress pants, dressy skirts and blouces, or a dress.

I have two lists: one for preparing to cruise and one for packing. If you would like a copy of the lists email me and put "cruise" in your subject line and I will email it to you.

P. S. Once you are three miles out to sea the cell phones do not work. Although, my db said his Nextel worked on St. Thomas.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Keen
You can get internet access for a fee. The internet is slow because it is dial up.
Dialup? That is one heck of a long phone cord!

It is a satellite link.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Irish Shark

Yeah, I see your point. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Keen

There are two formal nights. If I remember correctly it was the second night and the last night. One evening dress will do (unless you are messy like me). Two would be perfect. A little black dress with pearls or diamonds (no ones knows if you have on costume jewlery) would do. There is also the Captain's Cocktail hour. Most people dress up for that too. Then the other nights you can wear dress pants, dressy skirts and blouces, or a dress.
On the Caribbean Princess formal nights on Sunday and Thursday if doing the eastern route and Monday and Wednesday if doing the western route.

They never have formal nights on the last night as people have to pack to get off the ship in the morning.

Bill