Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Default Sailing on Golden Princess july31st

I am sailing july 31st through august 10th on a european cruise. does anyone know if I the weather in europe is going to be warm? i checked the averages for august in europe and it looks like its going to be chilly. Also, any advice for a first time princess cruiser.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Admiral

We are right before you on the Golden leaving 21 Jul. The Nothern Capitals. It looks like it might not bust 80F. Med is much warmer.

I expect maybe some light drizzles along the way.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Thanks, I guess I'm just not used to cruising in mild temperatures. I won't be packing many shorts and tank tops for this trip Oh well
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Captain

We will be on the Golden also, but will sail 7/11. I'll let you know when we return. but I am packing the same as I did for the Baltics last year.
Day time wear was jeans, long sleeve t-shirts (if you have trouble finding these this time of year go to a screen print t-shirt shop), my travel vest and a nylon parka with hood.

I was never cold. A litle chilly once in a drizzle while sitting atop a double decker bus and was a bit warm when inside some of the museaum, but then I could take off the parka and travel vest. Oh, I also brought some very lightweight but warm, silk cardigans. Got them cheap at Target a few years back.

for evenings I wore dark slacks, cotton turtlenecks and a cardigan. formal night I had a long black skirt, sparkly black top. Both packed down to near nothing.

the secret is to wear layers, just as you do here. But I don't think you'll be laying out by the pool much.
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Beginner

are the pools on the ship going to be open even if its cold out, it looked like one was inside and/or covered????
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Yes they will be open as well as the hot tubs. They will just close it up with the see through roof.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to jucii 2swT Send a message via MSN to jucii 2swT

My family and I went to Europe last summer during July and it was extremely hot in the daytime. Also, we did many tours which involved plenty of walking and outdoor sightseeing. At night, it was still warm but it may get pretty windy. I was still able to wear tank tops but with with long pants at night. So just pack shorts for your excursions and what not because it will possibly be very nice/hot weather!
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Admiral

I ahve been following the temps for the last several weeks. On a day or two Berlin was 90F and Paris was 85F. The rest of the posts were just below/above 70F. Lots of rain and cloud cover.

If you went to the Med, yes it is wormer, but up North it is a bit cooler.

Old July 10th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Beginner

i did that thanks. what type of clothing will you be packing for our cruise? I was thinking layers....
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Admiral

I am pretty well packed. I have shorts and T-shirts for sea days and for port days if the temps are right. On the cooler days I have jeans and a semi-lightweight coat. Also have the umbrellas. Also I have a ball cap.

I don't think that it will be cold enough for layers unless you are always cold like my wife. She wears a sweater here in LV when the temps are 103+,

We are all set for the "get toghether" at 1500 to meet the 50 other folks.

Old July 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Where is everyone meeting? On the ship?
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katesurf24
Where is everyone meeting? On the ship?
Now this is with the "other" cruise board folks .... Wheelhouse Bar at 3 PM on 7/21

Old July 11th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Beginner

Default temps

Hi Katesurf,
I replied to your post on the other message board!! Too funny. I guess we know who is excited about going huh? I have been checking the temps daily in the Globe. THe days seem warm in London and Paris. It is a mix of 6o to 70 in Dublin and Glasgow. Not sure about Brussels or Rotterdam. I guess we should dress like New Englanders!!
The countdown is on!
Sueajp!!
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Beginner

Hi Sueajp,

Thanks for the weather update! I am sooo excited!

katesurf24
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Beginner

Hi Katesurf,
It is pouring here today in good old Mass! So who knows what we will find? Are you flying out of Logan on the 30th?
Sue
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Hi Sue,

Yes, I am flying out on the 30th and have a connecting flight in frankfurt. We booked air through princess. Do you know how long our flight will be? I'm soooo tired of the rain!! Can't wait to get outta here!!!

katie
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Default flight

Hi Kate,
We are flying direct to Heathrow so no need to swap planes. We did our air separate and are going on American. I more concerned now about how to get to the darn airport considering the whole tunnel fiasco! May just take the logan express bus.
Sue
PS I am surprised more people aren't chatting up this cruise!
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Hi Sue

I am shocked, too that no ones chatting because its only a couple weeks away!!! We might have to take the logan shuttle or a cab. We are coming from waltham so most likely a cab. Our flight to london is overnight so I guess the first day on the ship will be adjusting to the time change....oh well what can you do.

katie
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Beginner

Default Logan

Hi Katie,
Yeah I think we will be on this ship with some very quiet passengers. They sure aren't talking here! WE are coming from the framingham area so will probably take the bus in. It is just too crazy to try to drive it now. Not sure what to do when we get back, but we will cross that bridge (or tunnel) when we get to it.
Sue
Old July 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Captain

Default Back today from the Golden

Just returned in the week hours this morning from the Golden.
As promised here's the weather report. Although, weather being what it is, your week may be the opposite of ours.
The first few days in Scotland were a bit cool, but refreshing. I wore a long sleeve t-shirt and was fine. A heat wave set in after that and by our third stop (Glasgow) they set a 100 year record for heat. They said it was 97 but it didn't feel that warm to me. But, I'm from Louisiana. Next day in Belfast was an all time record high for them as well. Those days a short sleeve t was fine.

we were lucky and didn't have the first drop of rain and the temps dropped just a little bit for our hike up Michael's Mount.

A word of warning *****
None of the busses for excursions had what we Americans would consider adequate a/c. If you were up front in the bus it wasn't too bad but toward the rear of the bus it was very, very uncomfortable and the coaches don't have windows that open. So, wear short sleeves and sit up front!

Also, every excursion we took involved a lot of walking/climbing up often steep and always uneven terrain. I would advise you to wear very sturdy tennis shoes as I saw many an unhappy young woman clad in sandals.

Would be happy to answer any particular questions. Email me directly or post here. These are delightful ports - you'll have a cruise to remember.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Wow sounds like the temps in Europe are really breaking records this year. Thanks for the tip about the excursions. Maybe we will rethink some of our choices! How was the ship? How were the shows? Did you stay in London at all?
Sueajp
PS The countdown is ON!