Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Packing

For those who could not open my web page. Here is my Packing List.
This list would vary depending on what you are planning to take with you.

Guys-This is what my husband has packed for a 7 day cruise:
- Underwear
- Two pairs of Docker type pants
-Two pairs of dress pants
- Three pairs of shoes; one casual pair of shoes, a comfortable pair of tennis shoes and one pair of dress shoes.
- Two dress shirts
- Seven sports shirts (depending on the number of cruise days and excursion days).
- Two ties (just in case in gets something on one of them.)
-One suit for the formal night complete with tie and dress shirt.
-Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, and a razor (sometimes the cruise companies provide small sample items).

Quantity of items packed depends on how often you plan to change. Since we are visiting a hot climate; my husband plans to change shirts two or three times a day. He needs one shirt first thing in the morning, one shirt after returning from the excursion, and one shirt for dinner. On excursion days, three times the number of days.

Preparing To Cruise
My Packing List
These are my personal lists that I use each time I cruise. You of course, you would alter the lists to best fit your needs.

Remember to pack miscellaneous and toiletry items such as; emery board, eye glass repair kit, small sewing kit, hair spray, hair brush, hair accessories, tooth paste, tooth brush, and mouth wash.
Women - personal items such as; tampons, sanitary pads, any type of personal hygiene items that you use. I also pack sun glasses, sun screen, dental floss, make up, stockings, socks, jewelry, my snorkel gear. I also carry medication like Benadryl spray for bug bites in a spray or ointment. I have been told by other cruisers that they carry alcohol wipes or gel. I think I will add this to my list.
Note: I do not carry expensive jewelry just in case it is lost or stolen.

Pack enough clothes for a casual outfit every day, and something nice to wear to dinner (providing you are eating in the dining room). If you are planning to eat at the buffet every meal, you can wear shorts, skorts, or jeans all of the time. If I am going to a hot climate I carry two shirts per person per day for each member of my family. I have found that we all get hot and sweaty on excursions and we usually take turns showering when we return to the ship.
Shoes-remember to pack two pairs of comfortable walking shoes, and at least one pair of dress shoes.
Pack underwear (don‘t laugh, but once I almost left without underwear).
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

that is a very good list, that's just about the same as DH packs.
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Packing

My dh did not listen to me when packing for this cruise. He ran out of clothes before the cruise was over.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default packing list

B.J.,

I am going on the Diamond Princess in September - a balcony cabin - and have seen people mention taking a bungee cord so as to have a way to hold the door open to the balcony. Is that right?
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bungee

I have had people tell me that they do that. I don't know why, if you use a bungee cord to hold the door open, then your air conditioning will escape. I don't know why they use it. I go out on the balcony and enjoy the heat until I want to come in and cool off.
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default re: Bungee COrd

We have never found a need to pack a bungee cord. On the 4 cruises my travel companion has taken and the 3 that I have been on (all with Princess), there has never been a problem with the sliding balcony door staying open when one wants it to. The door is quite heavy, and did not move on it's own. Perhaps with other cruiselines, the door do not stay open without a bungee to hold them.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Admiral

B. J. Keen,

For those who could not open my web page. Here is my Packing List.
This list would vary depending on what you are planning to take with you.

I just posted my packing list on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" discussion board, so you might want to compare it to yours. It reflects my experience of twenty cruises. The basic list is for a fourteen night cruise in the tropics, but it's easily adapted to shorter cruises. For a cruise of seven nights, just cut everything in half, rounding all fractions up. For a cruise on Princess, delete the items for Celebrity's "informal" evenings.

Norm.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norm

Thank you. My packing list has a copyright so I can not change it. Although the help you provided will assist other passengers.
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Admiral

We packed three changes for each day

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:56 AM
First Mate

I think you guys are taking way too many clothes. For a 7-night cruise, I'd take one pair dockers, one tux (with all its parts), 4 sport shorts, and 4 tshirts, trunks, underwear, and maybe 4 pair of sox. If you need more than that, buy tshirts in port, or do laundry.

Seems like most days (at sea or in port) are comprised of trunks, tshirt, and sandals. If you're all sweaty when returning from the shore excursion, just go in the pool for a while then sun dry.

I just finished a 14-day Europe trip with my son and his fellow German students, and had only a carryon backpack and a medium duffel. I felt sorry for some of the students (i.e., 17-yr old girls) with two very large suitcases plus a carryon or two.

Our family cruise rule is each person (kid or adult) gets one backpack and one suitcase (rolling variety). Makes it much easier to handle when each person can carry/drag _all_ their stuff.

Dana
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by danacline
If you're all sweaty when returning from the shore excursion, just go in the pool for a while then sun dry.
How about a shower and a towel dry instead.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Passenger

We went on a 5 day cruise last year and packed several outfits for each days and found that we packed way to much. Most days you end up wearing swimsuit, coverup and shorts so why pack all the extras. Just pack clothes for dinner. Save the space in your suitcases for all the goodies you are going to buy.
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Admiral

B.J. Keen,

My packing list has a copyright so I can not change it.

Actually, that is not true at all.

>> 1. Legally, a list probably is not copyrightable in the first place, just like menus in a computer program are not copyrightable. Thus, a copyright

>> 2. Even if a list were copyrightable as a form of expression, any change -- even just a different sequence -- would produce a different list (expression), nullifying such a copyright.

Although the help you provided will assist other passengers.

That was indeed the goal!

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default List

Norm,
I didn't think this conversation would continue. My list is an exert from my book which has a copyright and can not be changed.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

B. J. Keen,

My list is an exert from my book which has a copyright and can not be changed.

The fact that it is from your book, which has a copyright, does not matter. Anybody who wishes to change the list is free to do so, and you can't stop its publication elsewhere.

The protection of copyright covers only expression of ideas and not the ideas themselves. A copyright does not stop somebody else from publishing an exrpession of the same idea -- or even from publishing the same expression of the idea, so long as it is not a direct copy of a copyrighted work. In evaluateing copyright infringement cases, the courts consider to what extent there are other ways of expressing an idea. In the case of a list arranged in some logical order, for which alternate expressions are very limited, a claim of copyright is meaningless.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Familiar Face

All,
My cruise packing list always includes:

1. Walkie-talkie (especially on the larger ships, or where you might get separated during shopping excursions).

2. Bubble wrap, tape, scissors - They take up room in your luggage going "out". You never know what gems you are going to purchase, and you leave the extra bubble wrap behind. Use the tape and scissors on your next cruise.

3. Balloons, string, and tape (see above). On the larger ships the hallways are very long. Put the ballons on your door to help you "find" your room.

4. Battery chargers (or spare batteries) for Ipod, camera, walkie/talkie or any other electronic gadgets.

5. Anti-diaharia medication and a small anti-bacterial hand sanitizer to help protect you from the "virus"

6. Depending on your final destination (we were just in the Orient and, on a prior cruise, needed some in Morocco), traveler size toilet paper (Charmin sells for about 99 cents in Target, Kmart, Walmart, etc.) also travel size toilet seat covers (CVS or Walgreens).

7. A portable flashlight (fits on a keychain), in case of "emergencies" and if you are staying at an American hotel, a nightlight......to light the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.....remember you are in a strange room in a strange place.

Hope these items help!

Slotl
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Admiral

:o

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

Irish Shark,

NOT FUNNY!

Slotl
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Passenger

TOO MUCH STUFF. They do have a laundry service on board. I pack much lighter. Even on a five day cruise there is plenty of time to have the shirt you wore to the ship and the shirt for day two laundered and you can then wear them again. They have self laundry on most ships if you want to do underwear or daytime shirts etc. or you can send those items to the laundry also.
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fun Ship Freddie

I saw the laundry mats but did not wish to do laundry while on vacation. If you try one of the laundry mats will you let me know how much they cost?
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Admiral

I have not used them, but say, it is $3 to wash and $3 to dry that is not all that expensive considering what you are spending for the total cruise.

On the last 17 day cruise, I had to have all my clothes pressed becaused they came out in a ball from the suitcases. It was $60 for the whole thing. If you figure that I would have been ironing for 3 hours, it was well woth it.

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Hi B.J.,

(Love your name! That's our cat's name, too )

When we were on Princess I washed a couple of loads one afternoon while DH was napping. It took about an hour.

The price then was .75 for the washers and .50 for the dryers. I took my own detergent in a zip bag and a couple of dryer sheets. There are change machines, but the machines in the closest laundry room didn't work. You can also get change at the Purser's desk.

I don't mind doing laundry on a cruise. It really doesn't take long, there are some things I'd rather do myself, and I don't nap !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014