Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Default Caribbean Princess Review, Part 5

Caribbean Princess, Part 5
Tuesday May 30, 2006 St. Thomas

If it's Tuesday, it must be St. Thomas!

We woke up early to a gorgeous day in St. Thomas. Of course, I had to pose for a Hi CruiseMates photo from St. Thomas!

We were off the ship by 8:30, another positive point for Princess. Disembarkation for excursions always went quickly and smoothly, and it was a pleasure.
From the pier, we walked across the street to the Havensight Mall area to take some pictures of the ship. She is a big one alright! We could even see our Canada flag wind sock waving from our 14th floor balcony!

From there, we walked up the road to the Sky Ride. Despite the fact we'd been to St. Thomas twice before, we had never managed to do this excursion, and we'd promised ourselves this time we would. We actually had to wait in line until 20 minutes after 9 a.m. when someone finally came to open up. I was reminded again of "Island Time"; nobody is in a hurry in the islands, except the tourists!
I have to admit I was a bit freaked out by the little closet sized gondola cars that we piled into to make our way up the mountain, and although the view was spectacular, I mostly closed my eyes and held my breath until we were safely delivered to the platform at the top of Paradise Point, where I posed for yet another Hi CruiseMates photo!

The views from the top were magnificent; of the island, the bay, the ships at the pier, even the flowering foliage surrounding us. We took lots of photos.

Also at the top was a little shopping plaza where of course I did a little shopping, and where we were treated to a cute little "show" starring a couple of parrots and cockatoos who did some cute tricks, played some games, and just generally entertained. It's not every day you get to see a bird show!

In addition to the shops, there was a little bar/restaurant area,advertising something called a "Bailey's Bushwacker". Well I had never heard of a Bailey's Bushwacker, but I love my Bailey's so I decided to try one. Holy Cow! It came in a huge cup, and apparently it contained approximately 10 ingredients, including Bailey's, Kahlua, Amaretto, Vodka, and at least 6 other liqueurs I can't remember. They're all mixed in a blender with chopped ice, and it comes out as a frozen smoothie, and is topped with whipped cream. Boy oh boy oh boy, was it ever good! James had a coffee, but when he'd finished his coffee, I bought him a Bailey's Bushwacker too, and helped him finish it after I'd finished mine. I was feeling real good after that, and strangely enough, didn't mind the trip back down the mountain in the shaky gondola!

Once we were back on the ship, (another quick, painless procedure, no waiting), we had a quick change and a quicker lunch, then set off again for our shore excursion to Magen's Bay. I had never been there before, but had heard many wonderful things about it. It truly is a beautiful spot, and the sea was warm, and the water calm, a perfect relaxing afternoon at the beach, and an excursion I would happily do again.

It was hard to drag me out of the water for the trip back to the ship on the bus, but the prospect of a little shopping at Havensight Mall made me do it. On the way back down the winding hills to the ship, the bus stopped for a few scenic photos from specific vantage points. The views were stupendous!

James returned directly to the ship, while I stayed at the mall for awhile picking out some souvenirs for family and friends. While in a gift shop, I overheard a customer talking to the proprietors about Bert Stratton, about what a wonderful entertainer and all around wonderful human being he was. Of course, I had to butt in with my two cents worth, and the two of us had a long talk about the impact this performer had had on us during the cruise. She had just bought him a birthday present, and I had just bought him a birthday card, as he was celebrating his 50th birthday onboard this week, with 17 members of his family that his wife had surprised him with. They all knew for a year that they were coming on this cruise; he had no idea, until he saw them all in the dining room the first night! He had shared this story with all the passengers who had come to see him that week, and introduced his family who sat in a reserved corner of the lounge every night for his shows. By the time we had finished talking, I think we had convinced the shop's proprietors to take a Princess cruise, just to meet Bert Stratton!

Back onboard, it was almost sail away time. We watched while the Carnival Glory, which had also spent the day in port, backed away from the pier and set off for St. Maarten. As the sun went down, we followed. It's always sad to say goodbye to St. Thomas, it's a port I love to visit, and I always hope I will be able to visit there again someday.

to be continued.....

Click below for

Part 6

donna
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Yeoman

Default Carribean Princess review part 5

Donna, the pictures were great, especially of Megan's Bay where our son was married three years ago. (30 of us attended) What do you mean you don't know much about your digital camera?! Sure wish Bert Stratton would be on the Crown for our September sailing. Anyway, we will check out the lounge for sure. Thanks for the memories, have a good week.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sky Lift

Donna,
We stood on the balcony and watched the sky lift. We did not try it because I was afraid of getting stuck on that thing. A friend said, "What would happen if we were stuck up there and it were time to sail away?"