Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:42 PM
Beginner

Default Sun Princess Balcony or inside?

Hi everyone. Well this is the situation. I went with a balcony room on the Sun Princess Carib deck C411 and most others in our group went with an inside. I was struggeling with the price to begin with but now the inside rooms have gone down twice and the price difference has become quite large. Insides are at 750.00pp for a 10 day southern caribbean and my balcony at 1300.00pp. I'm paying at this point ...1100.00 more for my hubby and me. I've never sailed the Sun and have seen the pix but still would like input from those who have sailed her and really have the "feel" of what the balcony rooms were like. We are a median income family who likes a good deal but won't skimp like nuts to get it. JUst seems that 1100.00 is ALOT more than what I see others pay for a balcony room over an inside. What are your feelings on this kind of price difference and those who have sailed the Sun class ships.........do you feel the balcony is a good value. They seem to be small, but it could be my perception from the pix. I have only sailed once on the Constellation with a balcony and even though we didn't use the balcony much.........I really loved it. Would love your insights and opinions. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
First Mate

We are sailing on the sun princess on Jan 19 souhtern caribbean. We have sailed on the sun twice before, once with a outside window, and once with a inside. We have booked inside this time because of the price difference. What date are you sailing?
Grant
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Beginner

Hi.....we sail on Dec 10th for the 10 day.....most in my group are doing insides except for one who is getting the balcony. The price difference is huge and can't understand why. Would love the balcony but am trying to justify the extra 1100.00 for it and it isn't coming easily. Would you say the outside rooms are larger than the insides or are they all pretty much the same?
Elana
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
First Mate

For what its worth, my wife and I would rather take that $1,100 and apply it to shore excursions... Inside cabins are fine for us as we're generally only there to change, shower, and sleep!

Dana
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess it depends on what is important to you. For my me and my husband, we love the balcony to be able to sit and watch the water go by as we have a quiet drink in the late afternoons before dinner, or late at night watching the thousands of stars. It's like your own little piece of heaven with no crowds and no noise (hopefully you don't have noisy neighbors - we never have). We have done inside cabins, but since we started doing balconies - we can't possibly go back.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Admiral

letsgoplaces,

Hi everyone. Well this is the situation. I went with a balcony room on the Sun Princess Carib deck C411 and most others in our group went with an inside. I was struggeling with the price to begin with but now the inside rooms have gone down twice and the price difference has become quite large. Insides are at 750.00pp for a 10 day southern caribbean and my balcony at 1300.00pp. I'm paying at this point ...1100.00 more for my hubby and me. I've never sailed the Sun and have seen the pix but still would like input from those who have sailed her and really have the "feel" of what the balcony rooms were like. We are a median income family who likes a good deal but won't skimp like nuts to get it. JUst seems that 1100.00 is ALOT more than what I see others pay for a balcony room over an inside. What are your feelings on this kind of price difference and those who have sailed the Sun class ships.........do you feel the balcony is a good value. They seem to be small, but it could be my perception from the pix. I have only sailed once on the Constellation with a balcony and even though we didn't use the balcony much.........I really loved it. Would love your insights and opinions. Thanks so much.

I generally opt for the inside cabin because I don't spend enough time in my cabin to care if it has a window or not and, when on vacation, I really appreciate NOT being awakened by bright sunlight shining into my cabin's window. On the whole, I would rather spend the money on longer and more frequent cruises.

Have a grest cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Hi letsgoplaces,

Why not "split the difference" and book an ocean view cabin? It would be less $$ than the balcony, but still allow you to look out and would let some sunlight in!

Personally, we love the balcony cabins and feel it's worth the price, but we know many people who are very happy with an inside cabin. We could never have an inside because I'm claustrophobic, but that may not be a problem for you.

We do spend a lot of time on our balcony, but (IMO), if you'll just be in your cabin to change clothes and sleep, the inside or ocean view would be fine.

Have a great cruise, no matter what you decide!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

We too opt for the inside cabin more often than not. Once again, we're there only to sleep, and change clothes. We love the night life, and with an inside can nap in the afternoon (nice and dark in the cabin) then spend the entire evening enjoying the shows and music. Also, you can take that $1100 and pay for another 7 night cruise in an inside cabin! This is a no brainer to me!
Ken
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Passenger

I think it depends on if you are planning to spend most of your time out of the room, or if you like to relax at night alone, without the crowds and unwind. I love to unwind alone and sitting out on the balcony is the perfect end to my day. I would go crazy with an inside cabin becuase I'd never want to be in it! I think it depends on your personality. If you do get a balcony cabin, you'll have to expect that your friends will want to come over for a drink on the balcony, so maybe go for a balcony room on Caribe deck where it's a little bigger.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisee
I think it depends on if you are planning to spend most of your time out of the room, or if you like to relax at night alone, without the crowds and unwind. I love to unwind alone and sitting out on the balcony is the perfect end to my day. I would go crazy with an inside cabin becuase I'd never want to be in it! I think it depends on your personality. If you do get a balcony cabin, you'll have to expect that your friends will want to come over for a drink on the balcony, so maybe go for a balcony room on Caribe deck where it's a little bigger.
Just FYI, the Caribe Deck balconies on the Sun class of ships are NOT any bigger than any of the other balconies. The Island and the Coral DO have tiered balconies like the Grand Class ships, but with bump outs. Sun Class balconies are all cut into the side of the ship, and not tiered as they are on the Grand Class ships. As a matter of fact, the cut outs are a little larger on the Riviera, Aloha and Baja decks. Just check out a picture of the side of a Sun Class ship...........Sun, Sea, or Dawn Princess.
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
First Mate

$1,100 sounds like to big of a difference to me. We've had all sorts of cabins thought the years & we still go back to an inside cabin to save money. There are some people who would never consider an inside cabin & that's fine but for my money I'd rather take another cruise in the future.
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

We love our balcony and would never go back. The basic rooms are small to begin with and its just so nice to have that extra room, and to be able to go outside into the fresh ocean air anytime that you please. It is so nice to wake-up in the morning- early watch the sunrise,watch the ship come into to port, inyou jammies with a cup of coffee and the ships paper. Nightime is when balconies are awesome, mother nature puts on quite a show at night.
The cost difference comes with the cabin catagories - which is all about location, location,location. You could get a lower grade balcony cabin on a lower deck and save some money. I hope that your friends who are booking the insides at a really cheap rate are checking out the deck plans, they could be stuck in the worst cabins on the ship.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to catsas

We only have one cruise under our belt and it was the Sun with a balcony. I agree with all those comments about being out on the balcony, having a drink, watching the stars and the lights from other ships or in the morning having a coffee and watching the harbour pilot get on the ship for docking. Given the fact that DW is slightly claustrophobic, the balcony was the only choice, but it was great. We are booked on the Sun again next Feb for the Southern cruise and of course we took a balcony. It is just so nice to have your own viewing area (when you want it) without the masses wandering around behind you. The main thing is, enjoy your cruise, and be happy with your choice.
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Passenger

Default FIRST CRUISE HELP

HI WE ARE GOING ON OUR FIRST CRUISE ON THE SUN PRINCESS WHAT IS IT LIKE .. DID YOU ENJOY YOU CRUISE.THANKS A LOT
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Shirlz- do you have any specific questions? that would be so much easier for us to help you with.
I can give you my opinion. We sailed on her sister the Sea Princess. Loved it. Beautiful ship, she is big, not huge, but she has a small ship intimate feeling about her. Casual/elegant but not stuffy or snooty. Like a very nice resort hotel. Nothing gaudy or flashy about her. Staff was excellent, food was great, entertainment was good.