Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Default Why Princess??

My husband and I are going to take a 5 day cruise to celebrate our 5th anniversary this November. I have sailed Carnival three times in the past but we are looking to branch out this time around. We are considering an itinerary on the Star Princess and on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. Both itineraries are acceptable to us, and the difference in cost is minimal.

So tell me, why should we sail Princess over Royal?
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Passenger

The crew> They are fabulous on Princess
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Passenger

I would have to agree on that comment. We sailed on the Coral Princess in June and the crew was absolutely wonderful.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Admiral

And the food and service ... hands down for Princess. Plus Princess has fresh water in the pools and real fridges in the cabins (not mini bars where the ice melts fast). And, trivia.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I do love the fresh water in their pools, but they also have the Horizon Court open 24 hours, nice plus.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

32 cruises, 21 with Princess what else can I say
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Admiral

If you are looking for a cruise that has great service, great food,a very diverse mix of passengers, plenty to do day and night with a casual/elegant yet not stuffy atsmosphere about it then Princess is the way to go. Princess ships are like nice resort hotels. Nothing flashy, or gaudy about them.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Definitely Princess

We are Princess fans, as you can see by reading my signature. And my cruise partner has also sailed Princess to Alaska.
Princess is, as OP stated, is casual/elegant; not stuffy, but certainly has class. Beautiful, tasteful decor. Great crew. We think the food is very good, whether in the dining room or the buffet or the alternative dining options or the pizzaria or the grill.
Plenty of available activities; you can be as active or as laid back as you wish. Lots of itinerary choices. A variety of entertainment choices. Live music in the evening for those who like to dance.
We have met many fellow passengers of all kinds and from all over the U.S. and Canada, as well as from other countries, and have thoroughly enjoyed making new friends.
With all these pluses, why not Princess?
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Beginner

We have sailed both Royal Caribbean and Princess. Princess is by far better. The service, the staff, the food are all much better. You cannot go wrong with Princess.

Charles
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Passenger

The food is great with Princess! Also the decor is very tasteful and Star Princess is a very elegant ship. It's not too flashy, but not boring at all! You'll never feel crowded, and there's so much to do onboard. You'll love it!
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Admiral

I didn't look, but I trust you posted a similar note on the Royal Caribbean board to get views from their fans.

We've always liked Princess, but over the last couple sailings we have seen a serious decline in overall quality. Haven't been on Royal in about three years, so I can't make a fair, up-to-date comparison.

I'm sure you realize that these boards are heavily populated by serious affectionados of the line in question, so be careful of raves for any line. Princess is an OK brand, probably a step up from Carnival in some respects, but much of the food is mediocre, the service--especially in the personal choice dining rooms--is very uneven, and some of the cruise staff members are indifferent.

We've gone back to Celebrity and find it preferable. This fall we'll try Oceania for the first time, which I understand is very nice.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Passenger

AR,

I actually *didn't* post a similar note on the RCCL board because I know TONS of people IRL who have cruised RCCL and have asked them about their experiences at length.

I only know one person IRL who has cruised Princess (and who, incidentally, has also cruised RCCL) and she and her hubby both raved on. But, I was hoping for a broader base feedback and figured Princess fans would be able to tell me the very best their favorite has to offer.

You seem to have some misgivings -- anything beyond what you mentioned in your post?
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Passenger

I think that both the food and the service are great on Princess. Being from NYC I know decent food, and I was always happy with the food. In fact the waiters were so nice they were giving us extra appetizers and more food than we even ordered! They were VERY pleasant. I can't compare to the other cruise line, but I found the food to be very good.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Maybe you'd like to hear from someone who did 5 Carnivals in a row over 3 years, and although perfectly happy with them, decided on a change this year and tried Princess. We were not disappointed! The Caribbean Princess was the best ship, best staff, best service, best food, and best individual entertainment (kudos to Bert Stratton!) that we have ever experienced. Also loved the fresh water pools and the staff really know how to throw a deck party. Only one drawback was a pretty awful "broadway style" show in the main theatre, but then we went to see Bert every night after that anyway. I'd go again just to see him!

donna
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Why Princess??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes
My husband and I are going to take a 5 day cruise to celebrate our 5th anniversary this November. I have sailed Carnival three times in the past but we are looking to branch out this time around. We are considering an itinerary on the Star Princess and on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. Both itineraries are acceptable to us, and the difference in cost is minimal.

So tell me, why should we sail Princess over Royal?
What date and where is the Star Princess sailing for 5 days? Is this a special cruise or repositioning cruise?

Bill
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM
First Mate

This post is kinda like going into a Ford agency and asking them what they think about Chevy's. Hmmmmm.

P.S. I have been on 34 cruises, 20 with RCCL. Our favorite.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:23 AM
First Mate

One other thought, In all my cruiseing with RCCL, I have never experienced or heard of one of their ships almost burning up or having trouble with their auto pilot system.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'm sorry

You'll go head over heels on Princess...

LL
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Beginner

I have been on both Princess and Royal and my husband and I think Royal is a step above Princess
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Yea!! Marie. Another satisfied customer.
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Why Princess??

[quote="S.S.Oceanlover
What date and where is the Star Princess sailing for 5 days? Is this a special cruise or repositioning cruise?

Bill[/quote]
5 Day E Caribbean (really a Bahamas with Grand Turk added. Nov 06 to Nov 11 From FLL. This is a new cruise and only on there web site not in brochures.

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess B2B Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Celebrity Horizon Western Caribbean 03/25/05
Coral Princess SB Alaska 6/18/05
Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 10/10/05
Holland America Westerdam E-W Caribbean B2B 12/4 12/11
Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal & South America 12/24/15
Regal Princess South America around Cape Horn 3/9/06
MSC Lirica Southern Caribbean/Panama 4/11/06
Island Princess North Bound Alaska 5/15/06

Old July 24th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

3carnival95,00,02
1Carib Princess05
1Dolphin Seabreeze 96
1Carnival Glory 9-23-06

Never tried RCI, howeverconsidering sailing Freedom of Seas next year or two. I can say it depends on what is important to you. The food is essential to me. Great taste and variety plus presentation is a must. Then it's the decor and atmoshere. I have an I for interior decorating and when I see a mess it's hard for me to just ignore. The social activities and the type people differ from each cruiseline. IMO, Princess passengers were sometimes stuffy and waiters as well. I ordered 2 sodas during their (LOUSY) shows and did u know the waiter never returned. They look down on the coke cards. I thought it was a RACE issue until I heard it happens to many others. Princess has mostly white passengers and seems as if the passengers never seen blacks before. You should have seen the looks on some of their faces as we were boarding the tender. Now, I must say the Movie Under The Stars was very classy. We saw the Tina Turner Concert, Tom Jones Concert and other movies. The food on the otherhand was typical but bland and cold. Our stateroom looked exactly like the 70's LoveBoat. The color was drab and boring and the bathroom is smaller than the closet. Enough of that.
RCI seems to have better decor,much to wow over. Go RCI. You will have a great time.

san

Old July 24th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Passenger

I just got off a Princess cruise 3 weeks ago - it waas our first. It was also a flawless cruise, much to my surprise! The services was awesome, the food better than i had expected, and the ship is pretty without being gawdy. We had heard about the "decline" of Princess but we could see nothing much to complain about. I would cruise Princess again.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back a week ago after spending 10 days on Princess. We rate them as "good" but we have decided to return to Celebrity as they just seem to be one step better.(especially in the food and friendly attitude of the crew).
On this cruise we had a lot of smokers that repeatedly smoked in non-smoking areas and Pincess did nothing to stop,enforce or even mention non-smoking areas.

We found the stateroom excellent and among the very best of any ship we have sailed .( that says a lot as we have 30 years of cruising under our belts)

Would we cruise Princess again? Yes, but only after we have exhausted the Celebrity fleet.

Royal Caribbean food(quality) and activities just don't jive with us.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
One other thought, In all my cruiseing with RCCL, I have never experienced or heard of one of their ships almost burning up or having trouble with their auto pilot system.
maybe not but people do seem to go missing on RCCL.
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Beginner

If I was you, I would try Royal Carribean.
'The last 2 cruises have bern on Princess, and you would almost think you are on Carnival again. The same emphasis exists for princess and carnival inasmuch as they own Princess. Not good.