Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Default waitlist chances

10 of us are booked on a family cruise on Dec. 16, Mexican Riviera. I normally book early and have traditional dining. This time we are on the waitlist. We are number 304 etc. Has anyone had experience with that large of a waitlist number 6 month before cruise, and actually got to the top of the list?? Not sure how easy it will be to get a table for 10 in personal choice dining (although could settle for 8, with one rotating couple dining elsewhere). Would be nice to have traditional dining, though.

Any experiences out there??

thanks,

sparrow
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Admiral

This might work ..... Once onboard go see the Dinning Room Manager. Tell him/her that you are a party of 10 and want to dine at XXX o'clock every night. See if they will set a table for you.

If you decide to go to one of the speciality resuturants or the buffet, be sure to notify them that you will not be there that night.

Also a crisp $20 might help.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Admiral

sparrow,

10 of us are booked on a family cruise on Dec. 16, Mexican Riviera. I normally book early and have traditional dining. This time we are on the waitlist. We are number 304 etc. Has anyone had experience with that large of a waitlist number 6 month before cruise, and actually got to the top of the list?? Not sure how easy it will be to get a table for 10 in personal choice dining (although could settle for 8, with one rotating couple dining elsewhere). Would be nice to have traditional dining, though.

Any experiences out there??

Yes. Non-availability of traditional dining has been a problem on Princess cruises since the inception of the "Personal Choice Dining" program, and it's one of the major frustratoins that drove me to change to Celebrity in 2003.

With a party of ten at position #304 on the waitlist, you have virtualy no chance whatsoever of getting seated in Traditional Dining. Remember that the position is for you chosen seating, and each dining room seats about 550, so over half of the people at your preferred seating would have to give up their places before they would reach your name on the list. Realistically, your best shot is to request a standing reservation for the duration of the cruise in "Anytime Dining" at the time of your preferred seating. If you explain the situation politely to the Maitre d', he probably will take care of you. You also will have the same waitstaff every evening, so you'll get the same qualtiy of service as in Traditional Dining.

I think that Princess's main dining rooms do have tables for ten, so seating your whole party together should not be a problem. If it is a problem for some reason, though, you probably can get a table for sx that's next to a table for four, then play "musical chairs" between the two tables each evening.

And if it does not work out, give Celebrity a try for your next cruise.

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Passenger

thanks Rev,

I had the same thoughts as your response, but wanted to see if anyone had been able to climb a large waitlist. I figured I would be getting a set time/table in one of the alternative rooms, assuming everyone else isnt doing it also. I prefer traditional dining, and do so in all my cruises (about 24 so far). I also like Celebrity (8 sailings), but princess is a close second.

Thanks again

sparrow