Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Default Island: Can we get dinner ourselves & bring it to our ca

We'll soon be on the Island Princess and I have a question I haven't seen on this board.

If we do not wish to "dress up" one evening for dinner, is it possible to go to the Horizon Court (or the pizzeria, etc.), get a tray, take the items we wish to eat, and then bring the tray back to our room to eat our dinner?

Is this allowed? We thought we might want to do this once or twice instead of using room service.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

First off you do not get trays in Horizon Court, just large plates. I honestly do not know if you can take a plate back to your stateroom. Most folks will order from room service if they want to eat in their stateroom.
You can dress casually to dine at Horizon Court or the pizzerias anytime- even on formal nights.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

I have seen some folks bringing plates of food and drink from the HC back to the cabin. It has been during the day and not at regular meal times.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Admiral

bonny,

If we do not wish to "dress up" one evening for dinner, is it possible to go to the Horizon Court (or the pizzeria, etc.), get a tray, take the items we wish to eat, and then bring the tray back to our room to eat our dinner?

Yes, you probably can do this -- but why???

>> The formal evenings are the evenings when the cruises line break out the absolute best -- the best menus, the best shows, etc.

>> On Princess, each formal evening also has a special event. On the first formal evening, all passengers are invited to the Captain's "Welcome Aboard" cocktail party. Aside from the fact that it's a major breach of etiquette to decline an invitation from the Captain, all beverages at this event are complimentary. IIRC, they also pass around complimentary hors d'oeuvres. On the last formal evening, when lobster tails, beef wellington, and roast pheasant show up on the dining room's menu, Princess holds the "Champagne Waterfall" -- another very memorable party that makes dressing up worthwhile.

In short, skipping either formal night means missing out on some of the best and most memorable events of the cruise.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Hi bonny,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Yes, if you want to take a plate back to your cabin that's fine. As LisaK said, there are no trays, but the plates are more like a platter !

(You can order pizza from room service, if you want.)

Hi Norm,

I don't think bonny said anything about doing this on formal night

While I agree with you about formal nights, some people are just not "into" them, and would be happier with "carry-out" .

To each, their own!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Passenger

Thanks. But we'll be on a 2 week cruise. We don't want to get dressed up every evening. Sometimes we'd like to just enjoy a book/conversation and something to eat out on our balcony. All we want to do on this cruise is RELAX, which is why I asked about taking a tray back to our cabin.
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Passenger

My wife and I have often filled a plate with fruit and snacks and taken it back to the cabin with no problems. However, this has been during the day and never around dinner time. I wonder if this would be possible as it is my understanding that the Horizon court becomes a Bistro and I believe the grill and pizza areas are closed at this time. I'm not sure but maybe some of the more experienced cruisers might know.
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Yes Horizon Court does become a bistro but its not until around 1am i think, not positive on the exact time, but it is late.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Fern,

I don't think bonny said anything about doing this on formal night

The stated reason was to avoid dressing up for dinner, and formal nights are the only nights when one must dress up for dinner on Princess. I don't consider dinning a golf shirt and a pair of slacks (or, for lades, a skirt and a top) for a "smart casual" evening to be "dressing up" in any meaningful sense of that phrase.

Norm.
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Hi Norm,

We obviously read bonny's post differently!

She said:

Quote:
If we do not wish to "dress up" one evening for dinner,
This, to me, meant they don't want to get out of their shorts and "T's" for dinner. You read it as "formal" night.

One more problem of posting on a board, instead of talking "in person"!

Unless people are very specific in their question, we'll never know exactly what they mean!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Familiar Face

Whether she meant formal night or not, the Horizon Court serves the very same food as the restaurants in the evening so you can just go up there and join all the others who don't want to dress up. Wear your shorts on formal night to the Horizon Court if you want.

Yes, you can take the plates back to your cabin and nobody will say anything; we've seen people do that on several cruises. It's more convenient if you have an aft cabin, but seconds are more difficult if you return to your cabin.

Finally, most people don't seem to know that you can order room service from the regular dinner menu. Here's the procedure. Beginning at 6 pm you call room service and ask for that night's menu. They'll send somebody up with it. Then you call back and order. They bring it all at once and set it up wherever you want--in room or on balcony. We usually order a nice bottle of wine and enjoy a beautiful sunset dinner in peace. We always have aft balconies so there's no wind or rain. We actually enjoy formal nights, but we always have a balcony dinner at least once per cruise.

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
28 cruises down, next up: Carnival Victory May 17; Royal Princess July 7; Sapphire Princess September 12
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Charlotte,

We lived in Oxnard for about 33 years. How long have you folks been in Camarillo?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Familiar Face

We moved here June 26, 1976 from Barstow. My husband was a Navy auditor at the time.

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
28 cruises down, next up: Carnival Victory May 17; Royal Princess July 7; Sapphire Princess September 12
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

The room service menu on the Island is limited. It does not include the day's dinner menu. People in suites may order off of the dinner menu for room service, but I do not think that applies to people in "regular" cabins.
We often took breakfast from Horizon Court to our cabin to enjoy on our balcony. We also took dinner to our cabin twice. You do not, however, have to dress up to have dinner in the Horizon Court, and they do have most of the same menu as the regular restaurants on board.
We loved the Island cruise to Hawaii, and hope you do too.
I am packing a tray in the bottom of my suitcase for our next cruise.............none of the Princess ships have trays, and it is hard, even in the Horizon Court, to balance dishes, silverware and drinks on one of their plates.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Familiar Face

Desert Dreamer, you just didn't grasp what I said. Yes, the room service menu that is in all the rooms is limited. However, that does not mean that the Room Service staff will only serve what is on the menu that's in the room.

They cannot have each night's dinner listed in the room service menu because that menu is left there 365 days a year, while the dining room menus change. Just think about it; they would have to print all the options for at least 7 different nights (sometimes 14, depending upon the length of the cruise), and that wouldn't take into account changes for a particular cruise.

So they have the standard room service menu that is available all the time. In addition, you can call the room service phone number and ask them to bring up a menu for that night's dinner. Then you can call back and ask them to deliver whatever you select, and it will be delivered to your room.

That's on all Princess ships, as well as RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival and I suspect all other lines.

charlotte

Mike & Charlotte
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Charlotte,
We were told that passengers, unless you were in a Suite, were NOT allowed to order from the dinner menu for room service. We never tried it, but it would be great if that was the case. I know it USED to be, but heard that it was no longer allowed.
Thanks for correcting the mistake.
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Admiral

DesrtDrmr,

The room service menu on the Island is limited. It does not include the day's dinner menu.

The "Room Service Menu" is available 24x7. The dining room menu is available from Room Service only during dining room hours.

People in suites may order off of the dinner menu for room service, but I do not think that applies to people in "regular" cabins.

They pretty much have to serve the dining room menus in all cabins to accommodate passengers who cannot go to the dining room due to illness or injury. Of course, you may have to ask for it to get it, but it's amazing what a passenger's request will bring on a cruise ship!

Norm.
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, Norm. You cleared up what I was trying to say, but didn't.

Charlotte

Mike & Charlotte