Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Default Fresh Water vs Salt Water Pools

Princess has fresh water pools, most (if not all) other cruise lines have salt water pools that are emptied every night. Why is this the case?

To me both types of water dry you out, one is full of chemicals and the other is salty... but I still prefer swimming in fresh water...
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Admiral

The freshwater pools on Princess are open 24/7 except for an hour in the wee mornings when they are cleaned, the pools stay open in ports, unlike the saltwater pools that are closed in the evenings and while in port (most lines) to be drained and re-filled.
You can open your eyes while swimming underwater in a freshwater pool and they won't be stinging like they would in salt water.
I don't like getting out of a saltwater pool and having to shower to get the salt off my body.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
The freshwater pools on Princess are open 24/7 except for an hour in the wee mornings when they are cleaned, the pools stay open in ports, unlike the saltwater pools that are closed in the evenings and while in port (most lines) to be drained and re-filled.
The pools on the Caribbean Princess close at midnight except for the pool with the Movies Under the Stars screen. That pool closes at 5:30pm

bill
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Bill, that's a change that i did not know about. We sailed the Golden a couple of years ago and the pools and hot tubs were open 24/7 except for the cleaning time.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lisa,
As far as I know the CB is the only ship where the pools close. Never did hear a reason why. Maybe the Crown does too but don't know.

Bill