Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to masonla
Default Formal Nights #

My hubby and I are going to be cruising on the Mexican Riviera cruise for 7 days from 9/23 - 9/30 on the Diamond Princess. This will be my hubby’s first cruise. I had been on one but it was years and years ago on CCL. My question is this. I remember on our cruise there was a “formal night? but it was called “The Captain’s Dinner?. I believe but all the rest of the nights were just semi-formal but we could not wear jeans/t-shirts/shorts etc. Since we are going to be on our cruise for 7 days, how many of those night are the really formal nights as opposed to semi-formal? We would like to plan accordingly and bring the proper attire for these dinners. I'd hate to show up to dinner in our *not-so-nice* duds.

Any comments/answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will be the 1st of many, many questions so please beware.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Admiral

There will be two formal nights.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Admiral

masonla,

My hubby and I are going to be cruising on the Mexican Riviera cruise for 7 days from 9/23 - 9/30 on the Diamond Princess. This will be my hubby’s first cruise. I had been on one but it was years and years ago on CCL. My question is this. I remember on our cruise there was a “formal night? but it was called “The Captain’s Dinner?. I believe but all the rest of the nights were just semi-formal but we could not wear jeans/t-shirts/shorts etc. Since we are going to be on our cruise for 7 days, how many of those night are the really formal nights as opposed to semi-formal? We would like to plan accordingly and bring the proper attire for these dinners. I'd hate to show up to dinner in our *not-so-nice* duds.

Irish Shark is correct; the second evening (Captain's "Welcome Aboard") and the sixth evening (Captain's Gala) will be formal. Princiess has eliminated the "semiformal" evenings, so the other five evenings will be "smart casual" -- no jeans, "T" shirts, or shorts.

>> On the "smart casual" evenings, most gentlemen wear a polo shirt or sport shirt and slacks or khakis ("Dockers," etc.) and most ladies wear either a cocktail dress or a nice top with skirt or slacks.

>> On the "formal" evenings, gentlemen wear either "black tie" (dinner jacket outfit or tuxedo) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit with a dress shirt and tie and ladies really do pull out all the stops wear either a long dress (a gown is acceptable) or a formal cocktail dress.

Of course, you may encounter a few morons who don't follow the dress prescribed by the cruise lines....

I highly recommend that gentlemen bring a sportcoat or a couple nice sweaters to wear on the "smart casual" evenings and that ladies bring a couple shawls or wraps to wear in the evening, espeically if the dresses or casual tops don't cover the shoulders completely, as the air conditioning can sometimes be excessive -- especially if one ends up under a vent.

Norm.
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM
First Mate

Although I haven't been on the Diamond, all of Princess ships 7 day cruises have 2 formal nights. As you mentioned the first one is the Captains welcome party & it's always after the first full day at sea. The second one is on the return leg & it's held on the night before the last diner meal. I suppose they do that because most everyone is packed by the last evening & it would be to much to include that evening. Princess used to have both formal & semiformal nights but they discontinued that a while ago. Now it's 2 nights formal & the rest casual. I wouldn't call them semi formal but people dress nicely. My wife usually wares a pants suit & I have on a golf shirt with my Dockers.
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Admiral

You will have two formal nights on Princess. The Captain's Gala Welcome Board and the Captains Gala Farewell Dinner. You will see men in tuxes and dark business suits. You will see ladies in long gowns, dressy cocktail dresses, long skirts with very dressy blouses, dressy dinner suits.
All the other nights are resort or smart casual - the vast majority of men will be wearing nice pants like Dockers with a nice shirt - polo or short sleeve button- down, hawaiian print shirts are also very popular- especially on deck party night.
I like to wear sun or sheath dressess with low-heel sandals. Nice capris with a nice blouse or a nice pair of trousers with a nice blouse.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Default Thank you...

Thank you all for replying to my question. This is great, now I know that we need to bring 2 formal attire. My hubby will probably just wear a nice shirt, tie, jacket and nice slacks. He's not one for wearing a tux so he probably won't go that route. I on the other hand, like to dress up so this will be my chance. Thank you all again, for your input. We are looking forward to this cruise.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Admiral

masonla,

My hubby will probably just wear a nice shirt, tie, jacket and nice slacks. He's not one for wearing a tux so he probably won't go that route.

A sport coat is way too casual for the "formal" evenings. A dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit is okay. Even the light grey business suits that bankers and lawyers frequently wear are not within the prescribed dress for formal evenings.

If your husband eose not own a dark business suit, it will be less expensive to rent the tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit than to buy a suit for the occasion. Of course, the suit may be a good investment if he can wear it on other occaiosns. His choice.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Beginner

My hubby has a nice black suit we bought a few years ago. Its a nice suit and looks brand new. He only wore it once and it wasn't for a nice occasion, it was for my Mom's funeral services. Anyway, thank you.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Hi maslona,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Most of the men will be in dark suits for formal night. There will be some in tuxes, but not the majority.

There will be two formal nights and the rest will be "smart casual", as Norm said.

Your DH's dark suit will be fine for formal nights. My DH brings one suit and two shirts and ties. Remember the options for formal night pictures !

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014