Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Default Princess Diamond: Booking "Best Aailable" Cabin

Good Morning everyone;
This will be our first cruise and we are putting a hold on an ALaska cruise for next June. We don't kknow if it is better to book the best available cabin category for the Balcony ocean view cabin or pick an actual cabin. We think that we should be on the Starboard side as we are going to do the Vancouver North cruise but are a little leary of having Princess do the selection. Also, it seems that evey travel agent has a different set of cabins to book which makes it a little difficult.
My wife wants closer to the middle of the ship and I want nearer to the front. Any specific cabins to avoid?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated and Thank you very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Hi! I'm also doing my first Alaskan cruise next year and after reading many posts I was told that if you are cruising College Fjord and Glacier Bay it's better viewing on the port side because as you head into these areas the commentary is for the port side. Others also stated in their posts that crusing up from Vancouver you don't really see much on the Starboard side anyway, b/c you are so far away from the land....so I would look into it a bit. I changed my room to the port side based on what everyone was saying even though I have a north bound cruise.

Also, I think it might be better to book your actual cabin number so you know exactly where you are on the ship...different rooms offer different views. Best of luck!
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Winterpeg

I read that you prefer being toward the front of the ship.. You might want to consider going with your wife's preference, where the ride would be smoother in case of rough seas.
In rough seas, the forward cabins are likely to feel it more. We always try for midship. The one time we were forward (4 cabins from the forwardmost end of the passageway), we did encounter some pretty bumpy water. My travel partner is prone to seasickness, and she had a really difficult time.
I've been told that if you can't get or don't want the extra expense of a midship cabin, it's better to choose one that is toward the stern.
You don't have to let Princess do the choosing of your cabin, unless you are booking a guarantee. If you are booking a specific cabin, you can go online onthe Princess' website and view the deck plans. That way you can make an informed selection.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Winterpeg,

This will be our first cruise and we are putting a hold on an ALaska cruise for next June. We don't kknow if it is better to book the best available cabin category for the Balcony ocean view cabin or pick an actual cabin. We think that we should be on the Starboard side as we are going to do the Vancouver North cruise but are a little leary of having Princess do the selection. Also, it seems that evey travel agent has a different set of cabins to book which makes it a little difficult.
My wife wants closer to the middle of the ship and I want nearer to the front. Any specific cabins to avoid?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated and Thank you very much in advance.

You will save a significant amount of money with a "best available" booking. The trade-off is that you might need to go to the public decks rather than to your private balcony to get a good view of the glaciers, but I have never found a shortage of space on the public decks.

In fact, the best place to view glaciers is the public balconies below the bridge, on ships that have them, because you can see to both sides -- and there will be wildlife on both sides in College Fjord and glaciers on both sides of College Fjord. In Glacier Bay, the promenades are the best place to view puffins, sea otters, and other creatures on icebergs becuase they are closer to the water than the balconies.

Just my $.02...

Norm.