Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Beginner

Default Pearl Harbor and Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu

We are 1st time visitors to Hawaii aboard the Princess Diamond Cruise Ship in October 2007. We are seasoned travelers and have looked at various options to tour the Islands. We would like to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial and attend the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Our ship ports at 7:00 am and departs at 11:00 pm. We intend to take a taxi to tour Pearl Harbor then return to the ship to pick-up the excursion from the ship to the Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau. We understand that the Luau ends late and are concerned about missing the ship if we do the Luau on our own. Therefore, we think it is best, if we take the excursion from the ship to guarantee we make it back on the ship. Is this possible to perform both tours within the same day
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Admiral

rose25,

We are 1st time visitors to Hawaii aboard the Princess Diamond Cruise Ship in October 2007. We are seasoned travelers and have looked at various options to tour the Islands. We would like to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial and attend the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. Our ship ports at 7:00 am and departs at 11:00 pm. We intend to take a taxi to tour Pearl Harbor then return to the ship to pick-up the excursion from the ship to the Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau. We understand that the Luau ends late and are concerned about missing the ship if we do the Luau on our own. Therefore, we think it is best, if we take the excursion from the ship to guarantee we make it back on the ship. Is this possible to perform both tours within the same day

I would think so, but you might want to consider using the ship's tour of Pearl Harbor as well due to potential long lines at Pearl Harbor. The tours usually have reserved times at the attractions, so they don't have to wait in long queues. If they do have to wait, though, they will have appropriate wait time built in.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Two things: (please keep these in mind when you make your decision)

The wait at the Arizona Memorial can take up to 2 1/2 hours (we lucked out and got in within 20 minutes...but it was being at the right place at the right time) so you need to plan on approximately 3 to 3 1/2 hours (depending on how quickly you can get back on the transport from the memorial)
AND
The drive from the Polynesian Center can take a very long time, traffic on Oahu is bad - even worse if there's an accident. This could make you miss the ship.

Shar
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Pearl Harbor tour is a don't miss if you've never been before. I agree with previous posters about wait times and using the ship's tour. When I went on it the extra time was used to view the Punch Bowl Cemetary, China Town, and other local sights.

On the other hand, I was really uninmpressed by the Cultural Center. (Admitedly, my one and only trip there was a number of years ago). It was not worth the long ride. There are probably better luau's elsewhere on the cruise that I would book. The river cruise Fern Grotto and luau tour at Nawiliwili (sp?) was fun, if a bit hokey, and is a much better option in my opinion (if its on your itenerary)...

I'd recommend against getting stressed trying to spread yourself too thin.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
First Mate

I went to the Cultural Center two years ago. I thought the Center itself was great; they have the area divided up into different "island" areas and each has some ethnic activity. They were definitely entertaining and informative. The luau itself, however, is nothing special. Basically it's a buffet with a little musical entertainment.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Admiral

don't do it on your own. That is a very busy day and yes, you might have a problem getting to the ship on time. We nearly always book our own tours unless time is a problem. Just miss or almost miss your ship once and you will never push your luck again...

Nita