Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Default Coffee on Princess Cruises??

I've heard the coffee is terrible on all the Princess cruises are there any avid coffee drinkers like myself who bring their own pot ???
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

BarbaraP,

I've heard the coffee is terrible on all the Princess cruises are there any avid coffee drinkers like myself who bring their own pot ???

I don't know where you heard that, but my parents were avid coffee drinkers and they always thought that coffee on Princess's ships was pretty good.

Norm.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

IMO the coffee in the dining room aboard Princess is very good, however, the coffee at the buffet is absolutely terrible. It's made from some kind of syrup I'm told, and taste awful. Stick to the dining room, and you'll enjoy the coffee aboard.
Ken
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Admiral

The specialty coffees in La Patisserie are excellent - though there is a charge for them. Also agree that the dining room coffee is very good - haven't had it in the Horizon (usually have milk there).

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Coffee in the dining room and room service coffee is good coffee.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would not bring coffee pots any more than I would bring an iron - which I believe aren't allowed. People tend to leave those things plugged in and turned on and that's what starts fires.

I agree the coffee in Horizon Court is pretty bad - it is a syrup of some kind. However, you can always bring individual coffee bags with you and that should work much better.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Passenger

I'm glad to read that there is a specialty coffee shop on board. There was one on my last Carnival cruise and it was so nice -- coffee there was much better than the 'general' coffee served everywhere else. I didn't mind paying a little extra every day to get a good cuppa
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

My friend that I cruise with has much more sensitive taste buds re: coffee than I do, and neither of us has any problem drinking the coffee in the Horizon Court or in the dining room.
I understand that the coffee from room service is quite good, too, and the only extra cost is a tip for the delivery person.
We would never even consider bringing a coffee pot on board, even if we hated the coffee. The fewer electrical appliances PAX bring onboard, the safer it is for all of us PAX.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Passenger

I was recently on the Island Princess - got off 3 weeks ago. So, I can tell you all about the coffee:

Room service - coffee is freshly brewed, and is good

Dining Room - coffee is freshly brewed and very good

Horizon Court - coffee is NOT brewed and has a funny underlying taste.

Tea bags are just Lipton.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
First Mate

I read somewhere that Princess now has a Coffee Card (I guess like the soda card). Does anyone have more info? Is it available on the Caribbean Princess?
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Admiral

I had seen that too and asked about it on the Caribbean Princess last November - no way ... at least at that time.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Beginner

Rev22:17/flamomo/DianeT: I heard about the coffee from multiple reviews on cruisecritic.com. But I didn't mean to worry anyone, the pot I travel with has no warming plate. It makes the coffee/tea into a thermal urn and then shuts off. Much less harmless than an iron or curling iron!!!!!
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Beginner

The coffee is very strong like Starbucks, just add a little hot water
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Starbucks. Mmmmmmmmmmm
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Familiar Face

Just got off the Pacific Princess to the Orient. The coffee both in the dining room and up on deck were awful awful awful.

I drink decaf and it tasted like brown water. The dining room uses milk (maybe even 2% milk) not half and half, so it made the coffee even more watery.

Coffee cards were available. It gives you a 15% discount on all coffee purchases (expresso, lattee, etc.) You must carry the card with you and get it "punched" each time you purchase.

Would I go so far as to bring my own coffee pot.....probably not, but Princess does have awful coffee (especially decaf).

Slotl
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Beginner

So bad that we give up coffee for the duration of the cruise! Honestly, the dining room coffee is not much better than that in the buffet. Have not tried it from room sevice though.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes
Mmmmmmmmmmm, Starbucks. Mmmmmmmmmmm
Because the coffee is not to our liking...we bring our own French Press...and coffee. We order a pot of hot water...use our specially ground coffee and French Press and BAM we have great coffee. We even take it up to the buffet with us.

No electrical outlet needed...no fire danger...with a French Press you only need hot water, which I order by the pot from Room Service. Of course we always tip for that extra service. And it's worth it ...the only drawback...the stares from other passengers who would like a cup of GOOD coffee! The fresh coffee aroma...enough to die for!!!!
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Beginner

Default Coffee is better

I've been on 6 Princess Cruises and I must say the number one complaint has been the coffee. I just returned from the Star Princess with good and bad news. As a coffee drinker, I was tipped off on my second cruise that the bar in the atrium serves real filtered coffee. This was great as I could avoid the terrible buffet and dining room versions (made with syrup). Unfortunately, Princess has caught on to this and now charges $1 per cup at the lobby bar. The good news is that they have actually improved the buffet coffee. I am picky and drink my coffee black--now I can drink the buffet coffee
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Coffee Pot

I love coffee. I drank the coffee on the CP.

I wouldn't take a coffee pot. It would probably be removed from your cabin due to the fact that it could be a fire hazzard. Although, if you have coffee packets there is hot water available on the buffet.

The coffee is not bad, it is stronger in the buffet area than the dining room.

You could purchase specialty coffee. I have a friend who did that each day while on our cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/bjkeen/index.html
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to stefenson

My husband and I hv cruised many times with Princess, the last time on the Sapphire in May, the Star last December, and will be on the Grand in Nov. trans-Atlantic. I hv had many conversations with Princess about their awful coffee - and will be bringing my thermostatically-controlled coffee pot with me in Nov. The coffee in the Horizon Court plus the dining room is their "new upgraded" concentrate (they chgd brands in Jan-Feb). It is only slightly better than before. What really upsets us is the new charge for brewed (drip) coffee in the Internet bar/Atrium bar. I don't mind paying for latte's, etc., but to pay (plus the 15pct tip) for brewed coffee is another "nickel and diming us to death". They charged more in May (was new charge for them) that for a Starbucks. We are booked again on the Sapphire in April 07, and new Princess Royal in Nov 07, and if the coffee isn't better this Nov., our little travel coffee pot will make the trip too.
Jo
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Just sailed the Sapphire Princes.
Coffee at the buffet was like MUD.
Coffee for room service and the restaurants was fine
Old August 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Beginner

I am a coffe drinker too. I can tell you the coffee in the dinning room on the Star was some of the best coffee i have ever had!!
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Beginner

I/WE have sailed w/ Princess 6 times. We are leaving on our next one in November. We are true coffee addicts! Princess has the worst coffee ! Especially in the horizon court. It is made from coffee syrup! You can get great coffee from room service in the morning, or in the dining rooms anytime. We have BOUGHT A 2 oz. JAR OF MAXWELL HOUSE INSTANT COFFEE TO TAKE ON THIS UPCOMING TRIP so that we can enjoy a good cup of coffee w/ our meals.
I think bringing the instant will satisfy us just fine.
I would like to know if Princess is aware of this complaint?!
KJ
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:07 PM
First Mate

My next question would be do you think they really care?Since this has been brought numerous times nothing has happened.Have had no problem with the coffee on other lines.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Admiral

I don't like the coffee anywhere on a Princess ship. However, my wife thinks it tastes good.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08