Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Passenger

Default Passport?

When completing my information online for our cruise, the system told me "a passport is required for this cruise."

I know that the requirements for passports change as of 1/1/07 but I am wondering if Princess has already made the switch?

Do I or don't I need a passport?
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jennifer!
It sounds like you are going to ports that require a passport. If Princess says you need one, you may not be able to board without it. . .

Shar
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Hi Jennifer,

Here's the link to the passport info on Princess:

http://www.princess.com/answer/ready.html

It doesn't look to me like you need a passport, but, as SharB said, if Princess says you need one you'd better go ahead and get it! You have plenty of time now. If you wait much longer it may take months to get your passport since everyone else will soon "discover" that they can't re-enter the US without one!

I'd suggest that you check with Princess or your TA to be sure. You don't want to show up at the pier and be denied boarding !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Passenger

I wound up calling Princess for something else entirely and asked about the passport thing. She said we do NOT need one for a November sailing. One WILL be required for any ships sailing whose return date will be after 12/30 (the day passports become required for everything!)

We might still get them, but at least we know we don't *have* to get them in case time does run out on us
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Passenger

I wound up calling Princess for something else entirely and asked about the passport thing. She said we do NOT need one for a November sailing. One WILL be required for any ships sailing whose return date will be after 12/30 (the day passports become required for everything!)

We might still get them, but at least we know we don't *have* to get them in case time does run out on us
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Thomas

Customs checked everyone's passport when I returned to the dock on a tour boat from St. John.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://www.webspawner.com/users/bjkeen/index.html
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Until 12/31/06 you will not need a passport. After that you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJKeen
Customs checked everyone's passport when I returned to the dock on a tour boat from St. John.
Your birth certificate and photo id would also have been sufficient in this situation. St. John is a U.S. Territory and requires you to show your passport or other documentation if you have not first cleared in St.
Thomas.

Did you tender from the ship, directly to St. John?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Admiral

"....... We think it’s unlikely that the initiative will go into effect as currently written, however. Officials in both the U.S. and Canada have raised concerns about the law’s effect on tourism, and the two countries are reportedly working on a new international identification card that would be less expensive than a passport.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Senate has voted to delay the land border requirement until June 1, 2009. (The bill has not yet been voted on by the House.) The Senate legislation also requires that before the program can go into effect, secure card readers will be installed at all entry ports to speed up processing. Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), who co-sponsored the new bill, described the original initiative as a “train wreck on the horizon.?

Since it’s unclear how this story will unfold over the next few months, you should consider applying for a passport if you don’t already have one and you’re thinking about crossing the border next year. Be sure to plan ahead, as it takes about six weeks to process a new passport application (you can get one in as little as two weeks for an additional fee). You may not be surprised to learn that the U.S. government, just like our lawmakers, typically works at a snail’s pace........... "

http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...47457&GT1=8489

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Passenger

If you can afford to do it, get your passport now. Don't put it off...it's an important document to get for traveling. I wouldn't think twice!!
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Admiral

jvattes,

That's certainly good news, but check your informaiton on Princess's web site to ensure that your citizenship appears correctly. The status of "passport required" might have appeared because somebody's citizenship accidentlally toggled to from "United States" to "United Kindgom" or "Vanuatu"....

You really do have plenty of time to get passports if you start the process now. It's really quite easy if you are U. S. citizens.

>> 1. Get a certified birth certificate (with raised seal) or a certified copy of your naturalization papers.

>> 2. Stop by a camera shop that does passport photos and get one set.

>> 3. Go to the "Passport" window at your local post office during "Passport" hours with your proof of citizenship, your passport photos, and your driver's licene (or other official ID), fill out the application completely, and give all three items to the passport clerk at the post office.

The postal clerk designated to process passport applications will take it from there. Your passport will arrive in the mail in about six to eight weeks unless the passport office needs additional documentation.

I should mention that glitches do happen occasionally. When my mom applied for her first passport, a glitch in her birth record surfaced. Apparently the doctor failed to submit the information to the local clerk, so the birth was recorded several years later. Instead of a passport, she received a letter from the passport office requesting additional documentaton in the form of something like a baptismal record that would verify the approximate date of her birth and the record from the Census Bureau showing her name on the first federal census after her birth. She could obtain her baptismal record fairly easily, but she had to write to the Census Bureau and wait a few more weeks for a copy of the census record before resubmitting the package, then wait again for the passport. I don't wish these snags on anybody, but time is definitely on the side of those who encounter them. If you apply now, while planning a trip that you can take on other documentation if necessary, you'll have your passport in plenty of time for a future cruise or other trip that really will require it.

BTW, these snags don't arise on renewals because a previous passport provides the required documetnation, even if expired.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Better safe than sorry. I would get the passport anyway right now. You are going to need it in the future anyway to leave the United States to go anywhere, so I would just get it done & overwith.