Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:01 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to C Pollen
Default Star Princess in St. Ptetersburg

I am going to St. Petersburg on the Star next month. I am taking a private Russian company tour. Did any one have trouble getting off before the Princess tours got off the ship. Any infom would help.

Thanks
CP
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Hi C Pollen,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

We haven't been on a cruise to Russia (yet!), but on every cruise we've been on, the people who book an excursion through the ship are let off first.

I certainly wouldn't count on getting off the ship before the people who booked Princess tours get off!

That being said, the tour company you've booked with should know this and adjust their times accordingly.

Have a wonderful cruise and be sure to come back to CM's and post a review!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

I didn't have any problem getting off. I just relaxed in one of the lounges and when I saw a group ready to get off I jumped right in and was never challenged. As a matter of fact the independent groups had a seperate line through immigrations and we were off with our company while the Princess tou group was still locked up in a rather long queue. Some of the cruise lines will tell you this is what the Russian authorities want when in fact they don't care as long as you have the proper paperwork.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
Beginner

Default St Petersburg disembarkation

Good day C,
Here is what RO wrote in their message: " Please kindly note that sometimes they ( the ship) make announcement on board for the tours to disembark. Since you do not belong to these tours you may go ashore as soon as the ship is cleared. The ship usually makes an announcement when they receive clearance" and it is in the same lines as what I did read in most forums about what people did. My DH and I will be in the Sept 2 Star Princess Cruise.
Louise
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Default St Petersburg disembarkation

Hi it is me again !!
Here is a quote from another board :"We were just on the May 15 (2006 that is) Star Princess sailing and had a tour booked with Denrus. We lined up at the gangway before the ship was even cleared, which I strongly recommend doing. Once the Princess tours start coming down, you'll be caught behind them. The good thing is that they have to go to one of the lounges first to get their tour stickers, so you'll have time to get down there first. We heard horror stories later from people on tours that were caught in lines for more than 2 hours!"
Hoping that will help you
Louise
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Unless the Star Princess is no longer docking where it used to, make sure that the tour company 1) is able to get to the ship (it is docked way back in a working dockyard) and 2) handles the visa's for you.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Beginner

We had no problem getting off in a timely matter in Sept 2005. Not having to wait in a lounge for a Princess tour number to be called was a definite advantage. We did line up early at the gang plank and cleared Russian immigration quickly and easily. We had our Denrus paperwork in hand, having heard that an'invitation" was crucial. The Russian official did not so much as look at any of that, just stamping the pasport and allowing us to proceed. Our Denrus driver and guide were waiting just beyond immigration. Denrus (and our guide Ludmillia) were great. Enjoy St. Petersburg.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Beginner

You won't have any problem with Red October, My family and many friends have travelled with them before. Some friends just returned in May and travelled with RO, they were perfectly happy with RO .
Enjoy! By the way when are you going? My wife will be going on 12 September, 2006. Do you want to team up with us and go with Red October? If you are interested, email me. Regards.
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yeoman

Default St. Petersburg

I have heard very good things about Red October tours. They can get in ahead of other tours, etc. I have read everything I can about Russia and its history, the Romanoffs, Catherine the Great, Peter the Great and it is fascinating. We have been on 18 cruises and hope to get to Russia and the Baltics one day. I know your trip will be memorable; have a great cruise.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Beginner

we were off the ship by 7:00 a.m. July 13 trip, make sure you have copies of passport and visa's from your guide company ready to give to the guards/security off the ship, take a raincoat and bottled water as it has been warned not to drink the water, come back early on 2nd day as you can get caught in the railroads ajoining the ships terminal, we were stuck for a short time, trains use this as main area for loading too, have a great time, I'd do it again in a second, highlight of the trip
parkersmom