Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default Golden Princess 7.21 - 8.03.06 - Northern Capitals

I will try to do a blow-by-blow review this weekend. For now just some observations and tidbits.

- The liter of booze is no longer available from the bar or room service for in-room comsumption. On the room service menu you can get 350ml + coke/mix for $15 + 15%. A bartender said that the Golden stopped this 2 months ago "because of people falling overboard".

- Dress code was a joke. They did not enfore it. There were shorts, jeans, T-shirts, and tennis shoes at diner - EVEN ON THE FORMAL NIGHTS.

- You can order from the dining room menu by just asking room service for a menu. This was for any meal. Just tip if you so desire.

- The ships is being fitted with balcony heat/ fire sensors and water spray units. They were not complete as the crew did the work on port days.

- Balcony chair cushions are brought into the cabin at turndown each night.

- Hand cleaning dispensors were everywhere. Upon boarding the ship for the first time and after each port vist, you were required to used them. I would guess that 75% of the folks used them before entering the dining room and about 25% used them at the Horizon Court.

- Internet cost 35 cents/minute. Hotspots are in the compter room and in the atrium on deck 7. It is not available in the cabins.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Beginner

I was one of the people with tennis shoes in the dining room. I packed two pairs of tennis shoes and one pair of formal shoes for the trip. We had about 1/4 of the dinners in the Horizon Court buffet. We just wanted a quick meal after some of the long excursions. We dined once at the Sabatini room. The dining experience was worth trying for $20 per person. I got away with tennis shoes in there also.

Our balcony chair cushions were never brought into the cabin. Platinum members got free Internet on the ship's PC but had to pay for wireless access. A few PCs would always be out of service. The wait usually wasn't very long for a PC. There were also a couple of PCs in the little room on the side and in the library.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Admiral

You should have used the Horizon Court 100% of the time.

Did you also wear an untucked shirt and a cowboy hat?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Ha Ha Ha.

No cowboy hat or untucked shirt. It was always California casual in the dining room. Dockers with tucked in collar shirt. It was either black or white tennis shoes to coordinate with the pants.

Horizon Court dinners didn't have the selection of appetizers offered in the dining room. I like the chilled soup in the dining room most of the time. Horizon Court usually have one or two main courses the dining room serves that night. Horizon Court does have a better selection of cakes for dessert. They usually have four different flavors of ice cream. I like to stay open minded and flexible so we just ate where we were in the mood to eat at. We're on vacation not in the military.