Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Question on the new lawsuits

If those passengers involved in that accident with the ship tilting, if they sue, are they still allowed to cruise on the Princess (or any ship line if its against another line) in the future or are they blacklisted?

Just curious....I read the about the lawsuits on the front section of the weekend news here.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Don't see why not..I bet that the lawyers are probably demanding compensation in terms of cash and free cruises in a suite for life for each plaintiff

This has got to be a personal injury attorney's dream case now that Princess has admit fault..I bet alot of people on the ship that were not impacted are thinking about joining the class action just to see what they can get (nothing ventured, nothing gain) beyond the compensation that Princess gave everyone

Carnival Corporation must have insurance coverage for this type of event
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Admiral

venice,

I bet alot of people on the ship that were not impacted are thinking about joining the class action just to see what they can get (nothing ventured, nothing gain) beyond the compensation that Princess gave everyone

The passage contract actually forbids class action suits, so each plaintiff must file a separate suit. The passage contract also requires that all suits be filed in a court in Los Angeles, though. Since most of the suits will go to the federal district court in Los Angeles, it's likely that the federal district court will hold a consolidated trial for those who do not settle out of court.

Norm.
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Rev...so in theory, if 1,000 guest, file individual lawsuits and the federal district court consolidates the cases, they could have 1,000 different judgements ?
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Rev..I should preface my above post by stating the obvious, for the guest that were actually injured, the cases must be handled on an individual basis..my overall interest is how they would handle the claims of those not injured, just inconvienced or suffer "post Princess trauma from the event" ?
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good litigation management

I handle litigation for a living and can tell you that Princess' admission of responsibility is a good plan.
Why make a jury upset by trying to avoid the obvious.
The only thing at issue is how severe are the injuries and how much should be the plaintiff be compensated? Historically, juries don't warm up to plaintiffs who exaggerate or inflate their injuries.
JMHO

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Admiral

the best defense is an offense..by Princess admitting upfront it was their fault and giving very generous compensation on the spot and covering guest extra expenses in getting home (air fare wiaver etc.), tha takes alot of steam out of a plaintiffs position
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Admiral

venice,

Rev...so in theory, if 1,000 guest, file individual lawsuits and the federal district court consolidates the cases, they could have 1,000 different judgements ?

That's right.

Since the basic facts in all of the cases are substantially the same and Princess has acknowledged them publicly, the court probably will consolidate the cases. Princess probably will move to dismiss the claims as being without merit based upon the assistance and compensation already provided, whereupon the court will appoint a mediator to oversee discovery, to assess the merit of each claim and to make a recommendation to the court regarding the motion for dismissal, and to facilitate negotiatioon of possible settlement between the plaintiffs whose claims have merit and the cruise line. The judge probably will accept the mediator's recommendation regarding dismissal and the cruise line. The mediator also will facilitate negotiaions of settlements between the parties whose claims he deemed to ahve merit and the cruise line. The handfull of cases that don't settle would move to trial. By consolidating the cases, there would be only one presentation of facts and one jury would hear all of the claims.

I should preface my above post by stating the obvious, for the guest that were actually injured, the cases must be handled on an individual basis..my overall interest is how they would handle the claims of those not injured, just inconvienced or suffer "post Princess trauma from the event" ?

The same way.

by Princess admitting upfront it was their fault and giving very generous compensation on the spot and covering guest extra expenses in getting home (air fare wiaver etc.), tha takes alot of steam out of a plaintiffs posit

Yes, I agree.

Norm.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Well, its not helping their stock any either. Its going down, down, down.

I swear, if every one of their passengers that gets on each ship just buys 10 shares, they would be out of the hole.

I'm surprised the cruise lines aren't pushing their stocks. Heck, they push everything else.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Cassandra,

I'm surprised the cruise lines aren't pushing their stocks. Heck, they push everything else.

We have posted the shareholder deals on these boards from time to time. I'm not sure what Carnival Corporation does for shareholders, but ownership of one hundred shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) qualifies for a shipboard credit that ranges from $50 to $250, depending upon the length of the cruise, on every cruise on either Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International that's fully combinable with ALL other deals and promotional offers. I think that the company originally intended the offer to turn shareholders into passengers, but it clearly has done the reverse. I know several frequent cruisers who have bought the minimum one hundred shares to get the shipboard credit, which is a nice return on top of one's dividends.

Norm.