Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default I Found You!!!!

So this is where everyone hangs out. I thought once you left the Carnival site, you went on about your lives, but nooooooo. This is a good site, and from just reading a little bit, I have learned a lot.

I want to plan an Alaska cruise for next summer. Could I get some ideas?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Hi Luanne! You caught me over here didn't you. Glad you found the Princess site. As far as the Alaska cruise goes, you are in the right place. I personally haven't done Alaska with Princess, however my brother and his wife did, and they absolutely loved both Alaska, and especially Princess. Bottom line, you're in the right place for your Alaska cruise.
Wish the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I could join you.

Ken
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Captain

Luanne - does Carnival know you're over here!!!!
I've done Alaska on the Island Princess and the RCI Vision. We are booked next year to do it on NCL's Pearl. Of the two we've done I would say Princess has the edge. Anytime Dining allows you to see many of the cruising sites without sacrificing your dining room seating. They also had a naturalist with the Nat'l Park Service on board who narrated over the PA system when we were cruising Glacier Bay and the College Fjords as well as a few other times. As I remember RCI had a naturalist but she didn't narrate only gave daily talks in the lounge.

I would highly recommend you do a north/south or vice-versa route so you can see the College Fjords. Fabulous. And this is also a time to splurge on a balcony. With 20 hours or so of light each day there's plenty of time to use it!You will find the Alaskan cruises a bit more sedate than the Carib (IMHO) and the passengers a bit older but still a fabulous trip.
If you want to do the Pearl, join us on 7/15/07! I need another southerner to help charm all those yankees!
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Captain

Hi, Luane!

Have fun planning your Alaska cruise and I think Princess would get my vote!

I went to Alaska on RCI but that was because of pricing, otherwise I would have been on Princess! I had a coupon for a discount and sailing
single I had to go with Royal Caribbean. I had a wonderful cruise, one of my best, Alaska is great!

I remember a friend of mine planning an Alaska trip on a now defunct cruise line and I tried to convince him to spend the extra money for Princess.

When he came back the first thing he said was I should have gone with Princess! He said he could tell at every port how much more organized Princess was!

Princess and HAL have been in Alaska the longest and that counts for something I think!
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

No, Carnival doesn't know I am here. Sh....... .

I am now into the planning of a Panama cruise. I did so much research on the Alaskan one, but was starting to get more and more uneasy about the fact that my kids would be bored. They need excitement, both on ship and off. I will leave everything open, and see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your help.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Captain

We've never sailed with small children (ours were in college by the time they went with us) and I do think Alaska might be less active from a kiddo's point of view. Have fun on your Panama Canal voyage.