Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Default San Pedro hotel recommendations for Hawaiian cruise?

I'm confused about where to stay the night before our ship sails. I read conflicting reports....some say there's nothing to do in San Pedro and that it's not safe. But then, I've read the same thing about Long Beach, so we don't know where to stay.

We can't find too many hotels that offer a free shuttle to Pier 93 anymore.

This is our first cruise out of LA and we are unfamiliar with the whole LA area. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd definitely recommend Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, we'll be staying there for the fourth time in September. The only real issue with San Pedro is that there's not much to see in the immediate area. If you want to do some sight seeing, you can stay in Long Beach, which has plenty of nice hotels, sights, and restaurants and just take a taxi to the San Pedro port. Anywhere in the Los Angeles area can be dangerous walking around at night (isn't that the same with any big city?) Crowne Plaza offers the free shuttle both ways to and from the port and will take you any where within a five mile radius.

Check out the Hotel forum for other info on the area.

Shar
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Shar,

I spoke with Crowne Plaza this morning and effective September 1st, they provide a shuttle to the pier, however, it's $8. per person.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Shar,

Sorry, I didn't have my notes in front of me. It's the Doubletree that charges $8. per person. I was told the Crowne Plaza has no shuttle.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bonnie,
I curious to know where you heard there was no shuttle with the Crowne Plaza. That's one of their big claims on their ads - are you talking about the one in San Pedro? If you're right, then their advertizing is wrong:

WELCOME

The Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel is located just four blocks from The World Cruise Center, the gateway for Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Princess Cruise Lines.

The Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel & Suites overlooks The Port of Los Angeles! This 10-story hotel offers 244 guestrooms including 56 suites in historic downtown San Pedro.

The Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel is where your Southern California experience begins!

All of our guests will enjoy a better sleep with our Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage bedding , amenities and our complimentary shuttle service to and from Del Amo Mall, Costco and anywhere within a 5 miles radius from the hotel. (they are approx 2 miles from the port)
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Beginner

bonny:

We have stayed at the Best Western in San Pedro prior to going on a cruise.

In fact we are staying there this Oct 21 for our Princess cruise to Mexico.

It is clean and not a bad price. They will shuttle you over to the Pier and on return back to the Hotel. You can also leave your car there for the week.

The phone # 310 - 548 - 1080 or 1 - 800 - 356 - 9609

Good Luck, Barbara
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bonny,

We are sailing on the Sept. 21st cruise on Island Princess to Hawaii. We live in the So. Calif. area but we have family coming from England to go on the cruise with us. They will be arriving 3 days before we sail and they are going to staying at the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach. Nice area, across the street from the marina and beach and lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance. It is only about 8 miles from San Pedro Harbor and although they don't provide a shuttle, it would be a fairly inexpensive cab ride. In fact, our family booked the whole thing through Princess and so the transfer from hotel to ship will be included.

Happy Sailing!
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Beginner

We are staying at the Holiday Inn San Pedro. First time. Have read mixed reviews on this hotel. They have a variey of cruise/stay programs which include shuttle to and from Princess.
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Passenger

G'day, we have stayed twice at the Best Western with no problems however it is worth pointing out that Enterprise car rentals are directly oppitsite the peir and also shuttle you , they have a special re one way drop off and if you look at the big picture of the cost of staying over night in San Pedro or being able to stay anywhere and drop a car off its worth real consideration, just looking at it from another angle hope that helps some