Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Taxi from JFK to NY pier

Can anyone tell me (approximately) what it will cost to go from JFK airport to the embarkation pier in New York? It IS called Red Hook is it not?

Do we just cab it from any available cabbie at the airport or is this something we should arrange ahead of time? I've seen a couple of recommendations for cabs that people have mentioned in the passing (Carmel comes to mind), but they don't have it listed on their site, so wondering if anyone else here knows the answer?

Also, how long does that ride take? I need to know this for booking our return trip home. Thanks so much.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would just take a regular taxi - yes, it IS called Red Hook, it is in Brooklyn just south of lower Manahattan (across the river, of course)

I would estimate it will take you about 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic, but as much as an hour is poosible depending on time of day.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

[b]If you do take a cab make sure the driver knows where the Brooklyn terminal is. The terminal is pretty new and a lot of the drivers never heard of it. We were on the second cruise of the Crown and heard several stories of cab drivers taking people to the terminal in Manhattan because they didn't know of the one in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
Jim.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Guess I better find out where it is myself then!

Thanks for the info. Any New Yorkers out there that might have an idea of how much $$ we're looking at?

Kim
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

The terminal is located at Bowne St & Imlay St in Brooklyn, NY in the Red Hook section.

If the driver is savvy and knows the back roads in Brooklyn (rather than trying to take the BQE to Hamilaton Ave) it can be a half hour drive from JFK.

If they only know the BQE, it will take considerably longer, depending on the day of the week (there will be less traffic on the weekends)

I don't know the cost of a cab.

However, many cabs either won't go there or don't know where it is, so take that address with you.

I've spoken to several people that have tried to get a cab from either Penn Station in Manhattan or GRand Central to the terminal and they all had very hard times finding a cab that knew where it was or would even go there.
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Passenger

You can just grab a cab at the airport. Make you don't just tell them that you are going to the cruise ship pier, because they will bring you into Manhattan. Instead, tell them you are heading to RedHook in Downtown Brooklyn. It's not far from JFK, but if there is traffic it could take you over an hour easily. It'll likely cost you at least $30-40. Go to mapquest and print the map of brookyn. You'll see RedHook is near the brooklyn battery tunnel that goes into Manhattan.