Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Default Questions about Princess

Hello,

new poster here after lurking for a while. I have always cruised with RCCL, but was thinking of trying out Princess for my next cruise. I have some questions about the differences between the two lines, and was hoping if you could help me out a little.

I already know from reading the boards that Princess does not do the Midnight Buffet thing, which is really a disappointment for me, since I love those! But I guess that the 24 hour Horizon Court Buffet will make up for it. My question is, What kind of food do they serve after dinner? Regular dinner food, or just desserts or light food like pastries, etc.?

Also I really liked that on RCCL, you could order room service, excursions and monitor your onboard account just by watching the tv set. Is this available on Princess too?

I know I had a lot more questions, but they escape me right now, but i'll be back to post when i remember them. I would really appreciate your help. These are wonderful boards!!!

edited for typos
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Default Just my opinion but...

My next crusie is on the Crown Princess and I have only sailed once before on Princess, we did the Golden transatlantic last August one year ago so this is where my opinion comes from

I prefer RCCL over Princess. I have cruised 17 time my next crise will make 18. Three of these have been with RCCL, Enchantment of the Sea, Nordic of the Sea and Legend of the Sea. I have only sailed once with Princess next cruise will be second one with Princess.

I like RCCL food better. Entertainment was a smidge better on RCCL. Service was equal. Just a slightly older crowd on Princess but it was a 14 day crusie.

I really don't see a lot of difference they are are both mass market companies. Princess belongs to Carnival, and I hate Carnival. My BIL and SIL loved Princess a few years ago. Today they just like Princess.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Princess may not have the gala buffett, but they have a champagne waterfall, that is not to be missed. A great photo opportunity too. They also have fresh water pools, which I find really nice, the meals are good, just to me on the bland side, nice buffett and some wonderful chocolate desserts to die for.

I'm sure you'll enjoy a Princess cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Admiral

embracelife,

I already know from reading the boards that Princess does not do the Midnight Buffet thing, which is really a disappointment for me, since I love those! But I guess that the 24 hour Horizon Court Buffet will make up for it. My question is, What kind of food do they serve after dinner? Regular dinner food, or just desserts or light food like pastries, etc.?

After dinner (usually around 10:00 or 11:00), the buffet lines shut down but one section of the Horiaon Court becomes a bistro, featuring a full bistro menu and full table service. It's possible to order all of the courses of a full meal (appetizer, soup, salad, pasta, entree, and dessert) if you wish, but most people don't want that much after eating a full dinner. When I last cruised with Princess, the bistro operation continued until 4:00 AM when one of the buffet lines reopened with breakfast pasteries.

I should mention that the setup was somewhat different during my cruise abouard MV Tahitian Princess. On that ship, the buffet operation was in the Sterling Steakhouse (located above the Horizon Court on the starboard side). The buffet area closed completely during the bistro operation above it. There seemed to be a lot fewer passengers than normal in the bistro, probably because many of the passengers did not find it due to its unusual location.

Also I really liked that on RCCL, you could order room service, excursions and monitor your onboard account just by watching the tv set. Is this available on Princess too?

That service was just coming in whan I shifted from Princess to Celebrity in 2003. I think that all of the major lines, including Princess, now offer it, but perhaps somebody who has been on Princess more recently can confirm this.

Norm.
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Captain

We were on the Golden in July and the Grand in April of this year and I do not recall them offering interactive services via your cabin TV, but maybe I was simply unaware of it. But since I was quarantined for 72 hours on the Grand I got to know my cabin reeeeaally well so I think it's not yet available.

You may want to order your excursions online and as for room service, using the phone lets you ask when to expect delivery and tell them you need a little extra cream for your coffee.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Admiral

As posted above, there is no interactive TV on the Grand or the Golden. I do not recall it being on the Island.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Beginner

Thanks to all for your replies. It's a shame if they don't have the interactive TV service, but I think I'll manage. They didn't have it at the Empress of the Seas (even though this is available in other RCCL ships)when I went there a year ago, and this was after the ship renovation.

I love RCCL, but I think I'll still stick with Pincess for my next cruise, as I would like to try what other ship companies have to offer. I was thinking about going in the new Crown Princess. I have another question. Someone told me that I should reserve for the Movies Under the Stars feature. Is this true? Is it anything like the ice skating show on RCCL, where you don't have to pay for it, but still have to get tickets to watch the show? And, if it is true, is this for all shows, or only the evening movies?

Also, what about the entertainment? I know they probably have Broadway shows like most ships, but do they have bingo, game shows or scavenger hunts, or funny contests by the pool? What do they offer during the day when we're not at any port? Has anyone here already gone on the Crown and can report back?

Again, thanks for your help!!!
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

The Movies Under the Stars was so popular when first introduced aboard the Caribbean Princess, that they did issue tickets, free of course, however the last time I sailed her they no longer required that. It's a great feature, and they put out lounge chairs, with cushions, and blankets, and even serve popcorn for the evening feature movies. As far as your other questions, yes they do have pretty much the same stuff as you're accustomed to on RCL. The big production shows are normally really good, and they have the usual bingo, newleywed nearleydead games, and all the other "Cruise Ship" games that you probably enjoy. You'll no doubt enjoy your Princess cruise. It's one of our favorite lines!

Ken
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

We think you'll find the food quality better on Princess than RCI. We found much of the entertainment our our recent Princess July Alaska cruise to be not that great.
The ships of the Princess fleet vary, in size and passenger capacity
We like the smaller size, and older ships because they have fewer passengers and are less crowded during certian activities.(this is still true on some of the older RCI ships)
The Princess cabins (size and decor) seem to be more spacious and deluxe than most of of RCI.(except the very most expensive suites)

We might sail RCI agian, but not on the Mega ships that carry 5000 people.
We most likely will sail Princess agian someday, but for now ,Celebrity just seems to offer the type of cruise that fits our needs better.
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Beginner

thank you all for your replies. you have been very helpful. I already booked a cruise with Princess. I can't wait!!!!